Need help making my Packard Bell PCI 2.2 compliant.

Old December 8th 04, 11:36 PM
bd420

Default Need help making my Packard Bell PCI 2.2 compliant.

Award Modular BIOS v.4.51 PG
Packard Bell FR510 BIOS v.00.01.18
11/25/1998-ALADDIN5-2A5KKG5DC-00
MOBO S/N: E093026283
Model: 930/950
Chipset Ali M1541 (GVC)

I have a PB running 160 MB RAM and Win 2k Pro SP4. I tried to install
the Wireless PCI Adapter after the SW itself was installed (per the
directions/manual), and upon reboot, the Hardware Found Wizard did NOT
detect the new Card.

I tried to manually install the card as well, but it is not listed even
though I select the correct /drivers directory in which it resides.

Based on the 930/950 manual, the PCI is only 2.1 Compliant, and Netgear
requires 2.2 Compliance, and I assume this is why the Card isn't being
recognized.

Would an easy solution be to upgrade the motherboard to the next ATX
iteration, I don't think updating the BIOS chip will have an affect,
but it's hard to tell based on what I've read.

Thanks for reading, I promised my 7 year old daughter that I'd have
internet in her room on this PC, and she's starting to doubt dear old
dad.

Old December 9th 04, 12:04 AM
Ben Myers

The limitation you are seeing is in the VIA Aladdin chipset. A BIOS upgrade
will not get the system to PCI 2.2 compliance. Your best bet with WiFi on an
older computer is to install a PCI-PCMCIA adapter card, then a notebook-style
PCMCIA 802.11b card.

Your second best bet is another brand of contemporary Wifi PCI card, but check
the specs first. A Linksys card might work just fine.

The third, and possibly worst, choice is a USB WiFi adapter. But your system's
motherboard does not meet the USB 2.0 spec, so the WiFi might not run very fast.
As with PCI, it would be best to check specs on any USB WiFi adapter you buy to
make sure it can be used with USB 1.1... Ben Myers

Old December 9th 04, 02:49 AM
bd420

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I was afraid that any sort of BIOS upgrade wouldn't help, even though
PB support said the BIOS Chip itself was PLCC, ie, replaceable with an
entirely different and newer one.

At any rate, you mention 3 options, I'm also wondering if I couldn't
replace the ATX Form Fit (12 x 7.5) MotherBoard with the next iteration
board that IS PCI 2.2 compliant.

Do you see this as a possibility as well?
Once again, thanks ever so much.

Old December 9th 04, 02:59 AM
Ben Myers

Yes, a newer ATX or even micro-ATX board would do just fine. If you go for a
Pentium 4 motherboard or boards with certain AMD CPUs, you need to replace the
power supply with a Pentium 4-capable one. If the power supply is rated at less
than 200 watts, replace it even with a Pentium 3 board... Ben Myers

Old December 9th 04, 03:14 AM
metronid

D LINK USB wireless adapter is compatible
check out their site firest
www.dlink.com
I use D link on an older system

Their pci cards are 2.2 which is a no go
You will never see the difference for a 802.11b vs 802.11g
since both a greater than the badwidth of your provider
Now if you use ad hoc peer to peer than that is another thing altogether for
speed concerns

Old December 9th 04, 01:45 PM
Elector

"metronid" wrote in message
D LINK USB wireless adapter is compatible
check out their site firest
www.dlink.com
I use D link on an older system

Their pci cards are 2.2 which is a no go
You will never see the difference for a 802.11b vs 802.11g
since both a greater than the badwidth of your provider
Now if you use ad hoc peer to peer than that is another thing altogether
for speed concerns

There is also a brand that runs well here in my home town. Called "Hawking"
http://www.hawkingtech.com/ which is sold in CompUSA in New York.

Cheaper in prices and easy to install. I was amazed when I just did a job
where the guy bought this brand. But check the fact sheets.

All sorts of products from this company.

Elector

Old December 9th 04, 03:03 PM
bd420

I already Purchased a Netgear Wireless Router that came with a Notebook
Card (in which I don't have a need for right now) for $20. I also
already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30 after
rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift certificate,
and after rebate.

For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI adapters,
so I'm all set on that front.

I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card, that's
it.

I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless coverage
in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for me,
whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys and
Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless coverage
is not very far from the router.

Thanks,

bd420

Old December 9th 04, 03:19 PM
Ben Myers

I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it. I've also
used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate standby.

Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite well with one
another.

You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of PCI-PCMCIA adapter
card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there are others
kicking around out there.

You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the specs first.
Price is around $50.

You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it doesn't all
work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low street prices,
Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.

.... Ben Myers

Old December 9th 04, 10:00 PM
metronid

Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
That is the requirement of the card
It is not a bios thing
It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system

If you bought the item from compusa or such
it is returnable minus the 15% restocking

Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered

Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery for the
card