SSD - is it worth the extra?

Old October 22nd 19, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Melmail_9494

Default SSD - is it worth the extra?

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I am considering going to SSD. I am not that
familiar with the ins and outs of SSD vs. regular HDD but do you think
SSD is worth the extra outlay?

Thanks

Old October 22nd 19, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
s|b

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 10:53:52 -0500, Melmail_9494 wrote:

Just a quick question. I am considering going to SSD. I am not that
familiar with the ins and outs of SSD vs. regular HDD but do you think
SSD is worth the extra outlay?

Yes! Certainly if you install your OS on the SSD.

--
s|b
Old October 22nd 19, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Melmail_9494 wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I am considering going to SSD. I am not that
familiar with the ins and outs of SSD vs. regular HDD but do you think
SSD is worth the extra outlay?

Thanks

Win7 to Win10 = worth it
Older OS = not really worth it
(older OS don't make wasteful disk usage like new OSes do)

Windows 10 is always scanning stuff, so an
SSD makes it perform more as intended. Using
Windows 10 with a hard drive, makes it "seem slow".

Windows 7 through Windows 10 have partitions aligned
on 1 megabyte boundaries. This is specifically to
suit the arrangement of Flash chips on things like
USB sticks or SSD flash drives.

If you use Macrium ReflectFree for the cloning function
from HDD to SSD, you can verify and fix the alignment
for best flash-chip operation. (I formatted a disk using
WinXP once, then installed Windows 7, and the alignment
was wrong, and I fixed that alignment problem with Macrium
during the clone to the SSD.)

As for the "extra outlay of cash", that's a value judgment.
If the computer uses a HDD, you will "eventually get
your answer". Using a hard drive does not stop any
of those OSes from working, you just have to wait
a bit longer.

It's the seek time of the HDD which is the issue,
rather than the datarate alone. A modern HDD can
do 200MB/sec, so the sustained data rate is "decent".
But the seek time is 15 milliseconds or so, and
modern Windows does a ton of tiny file reads when
Windows Defender scans the disk. Or when the Search
Indexer reads all the files, while generating an
inverted search index file. Once the seek time is
accounted for, the average HDD data rate is not remotely
near to the 200MB/sec number. Whereas on an SSD,
you get a bit better response. (Windows NTFS stack
is the eventual bottleneck.)

Even SSDs do not have perfect response on small 4KB files
(because the files are smaller than the Flash page size).
If you want perfect response, you'd use an Optane drive,
which uses a different kind of Flash memory (it's
byte-addressable). The cheapest useful one here is ~$1000.
And the "2.5" form factor" looking items on here, have
a connector your computer doesn't have. The PCIe cards
are a better choice in the average computer room. No
4KB files would hold you back with one of those,
and you'd win your CrystalDiskMark bar bet with it.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...0x-series.html

"...chalcogenide flash"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_XPoint

No, real people don't buy those. They're for Enterprise
big bux usage. They even do memory caches using those cards.
I haven't heard of any "gamer kiddies" using those :-)
Just not worth it. But good CrystalDiskMark... Or
you need to win "computer boot time contest". Who
would not spend $1000 to be able to brag about their
boot time ? Even my Windows 10 on SSD, doesn't boot
particularly fast. No Tomshardware "10 second" boot
times here, unfortunately. And if you dual boot Win10,
even on an SSD, it's even slower. And unbearable on
a hard drive.

Sample usage in my computer room:

Typing Machine Test Machine

Win8.1 (HDD) Win10 (SSD)
Win10 (SSD) Win10 Insider dual boot (SSD)
Others (HDD) Scratch drive (SSD) [Currently Win7 and two Linux OS]
Win8.1 (HDD)
Win7 (HDD)
Many other HDDs for backups, data

As you can see, I don't have a lot of SSD drives here,
but they're all busy. The SSDs are mainly for boot drives, but
the scratch drive is used for some data-full projects. I sometimes
tether the scratch SSD on a USB3 cable, for sneakernet transfers
to the Typing Machine (the scratch drive is actually connected to
this thing right now). My SSDs are low power, and the USB
bus power is sufficient for them (as far as my power meter
can tell me). There are some Kingston SSDs with higher peak power usage.

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapter...P~USB3S2SAT3CB

Paul
Old October 22nd 19, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 10/22/2019 10:53 AM, Melmail_9494 wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I am considering going to SSD. I am not that
familiar with the ins and outs of SSD vs. regular HDD but do you think
SSD is worth the extra outlay?

Thanks

Yes. Period.

1 TB for $115:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB...dp/B073SBQMCX/

Lynn

Old October 23rd 19, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ant[_3_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 10/22/2019 10:53 AM, Melmail_9494 wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I am considering going to SSD. I am not that
familiar with the ins and outs of SSD vs. regular HDD but do you think
SSD is worth the extra outlay?

Thanks

Yes. Period.

1 TB for $115:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB...dp/B073SBQMCX/

I'm still waiting for cheaper prices for bigger sizes. 3.5" Seagate
BarraCuda 1 TB HDD is $40 according to
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barra...FPK/ref=sr_1_3.
https://www.amazon.com/Red-4TB-NAS-H...dp/B00EHBERSE/ for WD 4 TB
HDD for $115. I'm a data hoarder. :/

--
Why is this old ant still sick daily and almost all day, but with a nasty allergy (leaks, sneezes, and itches)? No cold, flu like from the end of August, etc. Also, minor muscle pain in left nipple area. Dang old body!
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
Old October 23rd 19, 03:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ant[_3_]

Melmail_9494 wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I am considering going to SSD. I am not that
familiar with the ins and outs of SSD vs. regular HDD but do you think
SSD is worth the extra outlay?

Thanks

What is your current hardware and software setup like? How much are you
willing to spend? You could do just add a SSD with that HDD if you're a
storage hoarder like me.
Old October 23rd 19, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 16:46:33 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

On 10/22/2019 10:53 AM, Melmail_9494 wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I am considering going to SSD. I am not that
familiar with the ins and outs of SSD vs. regular HDD but do you think
SSD is worth the extra outlay?

Thanks

Yes. Period.

1 TB for $115:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB...dp/B073SBQMCX/

Lynn

What I'd expect may be found for $80 on a rainy-day sale. WD and
Sandisk effectively market the same drive in apparent duplicity,
although Sandisk may or not share the greater distinction for certain
if a similar reticence to release published specifications for precise
components that constitute their build;- WD and Sandisk operate much
the same in a subsidiary capacity as do ASUS and ARock. Practically,
which what a WD warranty may help to negate, speculatively, over what
matter or manner may be a performance consideration to another brand
with identical characteristics.

Samsung would presently continue hold the best-test of all SSDs,
needless to say. Perhaps at a marginal ten-percent additional
allowance to mollify WD among others, notably Crucial MX5 models.

Given a generality of SSD sizes, conjecturally, the net is
considerable when accounting available operating system whereby to
deploy it on. We're hardly so afar from the marginality of 2G OS from
yesterday, by what liberal allowances account to a 20G OS, I tend
doubt a LINUX REDHAT platform conceivably entails;- REDHAT and W10
being of course what computing actually means to an extant PC and its
so-called revolutionary impetus: A standpoint given Pacific Rim
manufacturers, at present, of motherboards and their "official" driver
support/compliance policies.

Which then in consequence opens a present state of hardware controller
support at intersection to three types of so intended "silicon to
mechanical" drive successions. The latest, such as form an AM4 socket
platform, being not least an operational system dependency permitted
thruputs of 5 or x6 faster, than our proposed WD/Sandisk capacity. One
hardly to be seen for other than inane to consider from a SATA
conjecture, were it not but for a theoretical juncture of Widest
Comparability which nicely tailors itself to a loyal if not
traditionally and quite niche *NIX crowd.

Leaving, lastly, an immediacy of stratagem whereby best disparate
technology meets: What benefits by a SSD are negated to older
mechanical platters. Which indeed they do, disposed, as they are, to
a ongoing reserve implemented best by a discretional capacity best to
tactically deploy hardware resources. True, slapping a SSD upside and
into a laptop for replacement of a mechanical device, may indeed
permit the appointed reviewer obsequiously to declare to the world of
reviewers his intent, as well, to have successfully reached satorical
enlightenment. For all intents such a person then immediately derives
by performance considerations per force and usual to such rites
entitled to a "Cloned" conversion.

But, that is not necessarily nor all there is about organization
skills programs and their representational datum respectively,
individualistically, and potentially, proceed from upon a premise to
empirically derive measurable results from where advantage serves
physical placement in arrays of differential platform storage
mechanisms.