MCP73VE PC no Boot

Old October 1st 19, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why

Default MCP73VE PC no Boot

Board has polymer caps.

I hope your DIMMs meet Intel expectations.

When you start the system *test with one of your DIMMs first*.
This will give an opportunity to evaluate what the motherboard
thinks of the DIMM. Check whether the entire DIMM is registered
when tested that way. I use nothing but 2GB DIMMs in mine
from that era. I have 4x2GB config of DDR2 on an X48 chipset.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the advice. I found my Q9650 cooler fan $31.04 purchase
from Amazon.com by looking at my credit card records. I cannot understand
where the other records went. I used the tracking number search. This is
where it gets weird. It was shipped from Sweden. Its arriving October 4 -
28. The MOBO from Hong Kong may arrive before it.

Paul,

The Intel CPU cooler fan arrived early, today. Postage mark said it came
from Sweden. The customs declaration said it came from USA, perhaps its
place of manufacture. Total declared value was $7.99. So from $31.04 there
was huge mark up. That's why shipping was free. It is larger in diameter
that what it replaced. On the copper plate contact with the Q9650 CPU there
are three rubber strips (silicone?), I guess for shipping. I'll remove them
when the GigaByte MOBO arrives. I saved the fan funnel for evacuating hot
air out the side of the frame. It no longer fits. When the MOBO arrives, I
can remove the rubber and maybe mount the funnel backward with glue (or duck
tape?). It is for an ATX board, but the mount mechanism maybe better
engineered. Instead of awkward screws this is like a push mechanism. It is
protected for shipping (?) by plastic and I will work with it when the new
MOBO arrives.

Sorry, on further inspection the plastic maybe for attachment to the MOBO.
One pin appears to be permanently depressed, maybe device is seconds. I need
to discover if I can fix it. What this suggests is the cooler fan is meant
for permanent attachment and is not meant for removal like the older screws
enabled.

Cheers,
Norm Why

Old October 1st 19, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm Why wrote:
[...]

That sounds like what you got, is a "real Intel processor-in-box"
cooler. Rather than a Coolermaster or an Arctic Cooling.

On the bottom of those, in the copper area, is a black "phase change"
material. it is a solid at 23C. When the heatsink is fitted in place,
and the heatsink hits 55-60C, the black stuff melts and flows
a tiny bit. It conforms to the blemishes, and the convex shape of
the processor lid. (The processor lid is non-flat for a reason.
The CPU is soldered with a low-temperature solder to the lid,
and the lid is curved because it is "pre-stressed" as part of
the whole setup. If you were to remove the lid by heating
to a moderately high temp, the lid lets go with a "popping"
sound :-) The pre-stressing competes with the heatsink
downward loading.)

The pins you're referring to, are Intel Push Pins. They have
a slot screwdriver mark in the top. The screw driver mark is
so your slot screwdriver can rotate the pin 90 degrees.
This allows the pin to unlock.

In the core of the push pin, are some plastic fingers with balls
on the end. They expand to fill the space, and prevent the pin
from moving backwards. This keeps the heatsink in place.

For someone unfamiliar with a "standard" Intel heatsink,
there is a video. Normally this video would trigger "Save As",
but for some reason on my machine, Windows Media Player has
decided to play it right away. Maybe a Linux VM could deal with
this or something. About half-way through the video, they have
the "removal" procedure, where a slot screwdriver is used to rotate
the push pins.

https://web.archive.org/web/2007*/ht...209_241209.wmv

The file I got originally was 16,982,628 bytes.

Paul
Old October 12th 19, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

"Paul" wrote
Norm Why wrote:
[...]

I wish I could search web.archive.org for old software. A more recent
Youtube Video can be found he

How to install and remove LGA775 processors and fan-heatsinks | Intel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKPsS8GX3I

The ~310,000 hits reflects the popularity of 95W TDP Q6600 and Q9650 CPUs. I
managed to get my Intel 95W fan-heatsink repaired so I canceled the RMA. I
still await the Gigabyte MOBO from China.

There is some information I am still lacking. A plastic funnel is used to
direct CPU heat out the side of the PC case. Without it, heat accumulates
inside the case and is directed outside by the PSU fan. That puts all
components at risk and defeats the cooling of the Intel 95W fan-heatsink
The new CPU cooler fan has a diameter greater than the old one. The old
plastic (Price ~ $2.74) had barbed tabs at its bottom. The new Intel 95W
fan-heatsink fan has metal barbed tabs on its top. Within the supply chain
all old parts are stored for future sale. All I need is a part number. Intel
did not answer my email question. Intel manufactured matching parts in equal
number. If I get a part number or some other unique identifier, I can search
the globe for an inexpensive plastic part that is compatible.

Norm Why

Old October 12th 19, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm Why wrote:
"Paul" wrote
Norm Why wrote:
[...]

Frozencpu is the best site for all things heating/cooling.

https://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g47...ml?id=hDDNkWty

They have a few "fan ducts" listed.

https://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g47...cts-Page1.html

I don't know if those will work out for you or not.

The CPU heatsink could be a "blow down" type, in which
case a side duct is an *intake*. If you instead
arrange the fan to "blow upwards", sometimes the
peripheral cooling of VCore components isn't as good
when done that way.

As the cooling designer, your job is to analyze how
well the individual components work, then decide
what overall case cooling strategy is best.

I've never used a duct on anything I've assembled here.
I just adjust front to back airflow to suit the
heat load.

For example, on the Test Machine with the 156W processor,
first I tested a 110CFM fan on the back of the
computer (to flush out the cloud of warm air), and
discovered after a few months, that I could drop
down to the next fan size and have a quieter computer
as a result, without temperatures getting too high
inside the computer case. The original fan was 37.5mm
thick, which is how you get additional performance from
the fans. The fan I have in there now, is a regular
25mm thick fan as the replacement.

Dell likes to do ducted cooling on their products,
but by doing so, it's very difficult to change coolers
if you need to do that, as the duct is unlikely to
fit any third party products.

If I needed a custom duct, I'd start with sheet aluminum
used for car body work, make up something, secure it
with pop rivets, and so on. That's an option if you
can't find exactly the correct duct on a web site.

You can also use a duct to solve the size issue
(convert from a 92mm fan to a 120mm hole on the case),
and make a cylinder from aluminum sheet as a "plenum"
feeding a too-short duct, to the hole on the computer
case. This is a side view...

| ___ Commercial duct, selected to be slightly
| / on the short side, with the cylindrical
+---\_ section cut to the correct length.
\_
_ HS
_/
+---/
| ^
| \_ Short cylindrical section, Al sheet rolled up

Paul