Are mains surge protectors needed in the UK?

Old July 8th 04, 05:37 PM
Nick

Default Are mains surge protectors needed in the UK?

Lem wrote:
Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
the UK?

here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
countries (including the US).

However there seem to be very many surge protector products
advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).

I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
surge coming in through the power supply.

So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.

Am I being too complacent?

I've never used one either, no probs.

I think that if you need a new multi plug then you might as well get one
with a surge protector but I wouldn't get one otherwise.
--
Nick
-----------

Old July 8th 04, 05:38 PM
Cuzman

"Lem" wrote in message

" Am I being too complacent? "

Think of this when you next take a ****.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/3457965.stm

Old July 8th 04, 05:46 PM
Andy

"Lem" wrote in message
Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
the UK?

here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
countries (including the US).

However there seem to be very many surge protector products
advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).

I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
surge coming in through the power supply.

So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.

Am I being too complacent?

unlikely youll ever have a problem but it does happen to some people.
for the sake of a few quid ive got one downstairs for the tv, amp etc and
upstairs on the pc. If they were expensive i woudnt bother but as theyre
cheap, theyre worth having imo.

Old July 8th 04, 05:52 PM
Nick

snip

I've never used one either, no probs.

I think that if you need a new multi plug then you might as well get
one with a surge protector but I wouldn't get one otherwise.

Actually you might as well get one that protects the modem/DSL as well.
--
Nick
-----------

Old July 8th 04, 06:46 PM
Johannes H Andersen

Lem wrote:

Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
the UK?

here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
countries (including the US).

However there seem to be very many surge protector products
advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).

I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
surge coming in through the power supply.

So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.

Am I being too complacent?

Definitely good to have one as an insurance. Heavy machinery can induce
start currents and outages can result in spikes. Also heavy crossposting
can overload the system.
Old July 8th 04, 07:15 PM
lordy

Lem wrote in :

Am I being too complacent?

Like others said .. depends.
I know ONE person whose system was destroyed by lightning.

Here's a secret .. well I worked it out myself so could be wrong but...

Instead of buying an expensive one, just buy the small cube thingy (like
the old two-ways) and then run a multi socket extension from it. Last I
looked they were less that 15 quid with a phone/modem socket whassname..

--
Lordy
Old July 8th 04, 07:38 PM
half_pint

How about using a plug with the correct sized fuse in it?

Probably a lot cheaper?

Probably a waste of money.

You probably have a greater chance of deing struck by
lightnening.

Old July 8th 04, 08:33 PM
Johannes H Andersen

Lem wrote:

Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
the UK?

here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
countries (including the US).

Wasn't there a big black out around London last year just after the
North American black out?

However there seem to be very many surge protector products
advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).

A surge protector can be very simple, doesn't need to cost a lot.

I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
surge coming in through the power supply.

My first PSU was killed by a spike, but then you don't know me. At a
place where I once worked, they had problems with fuse timings on the
entire building, the engineers would sometimes test which fuses went
first, thereby inducing enormous currents in the power network.

So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.

Am I being too complacent?

Entirely up to you.
Old July 8th 04, 08:46 PM
Johannes H Andersen

half_pint wrote:

How about using a plug with the correct sized fuse in it?

No, a fuse takes time to burn. In the meantime the spike will do its work.

Probably a lot cheaper?

Probably a waste of money.

If you're cheapskate, you can make one up from an old 50nF high voltage
capacitor. Anyway, they don't eat any bread and last a lifetime.

You probably have a greater chance of deing struck by
lightnening.

Depens where you stand :-)
Old July 8th 04, 10:24 PM
Stormsinger

Lem wrote:

Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
the UK?

here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
countries (including the US).

However there seem to be very many surge protector products
advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).

I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
surge coming in through the power supply.

So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.

Am I being too complacent?

Probably. In my experience mains surges do not tend to cause problems, either your
trip switch or the general robustness of most devices rules them out.

However.....

modems are different. If the strike hits a telephone pole then the resulting surge
down the phone line can easily take out a modem, and if you're unlucky your mobo as
well. Usually though your modem will act as a very expensive fuse.

Buy a surge protection device that also protects modems and you should be okay. IMHO
Belkin are the best, but others may have a different view.

Look at it this way. A couple of years ago we had a massive storm in our area -
apparently there were 30,000 odd lightening strikes over the county. (according to
the electricity people). Over a two week period, I replaced several dozen modems for
people who "suddenly couldn't get online". My supplier ran out of stock! Even the
local PCWorld ran out (someone from there even phoned my business to see if we had
any modems left in stock that they could buy!!).

You can save £30 or so and take the risk - its up to you in the end.

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.