Is this legal under Distance Selling Regs (or any other UK regualations)?

Old May 6th 04, 01:07 AM
Black Shuck

Default Is this legal under Distance Selling Regs (or any other UK regualations)?

I purchased some items from a UK computer vendor, who foolishly decided
to put his companies reputation in the hands of Initial/CityLink.

Basically, the problem is, they have tried to deliver my items 2 days on
the trot now, but nobody was home to sign for them, City Link will now
not attempt redelivery, they will also not redirect to my work address,
and a "short" trip to pick it up from their depot, is actually a 70 mile
round trip. They have also given me 3 days to pick it up from the
depot, before it gets sent back to the vendor. The vendor says that
City Link will then charge him £19 for that return. The vendor has said
they will then refund any left over money from the original purchase
price minus the £19 return delivery charge... (how nice!!!).

It's a real royal pain in the butt. The only reason I had the item send
to my home address (knowing nobody would be there to sign for it), was
the stupid system the stipulates you must deliver to the cardholders
address, otherwise I would have got them items sent to work, where there
would be no problem signing for the delivery....

Is this legal? CityLink basically couldn't care less, and the Vendor is
also being most unhelpful.

I may name and shame, once I know the facts. I'm pretty sure, that
even if it's legal, it's certainly not a good way to do business.. As I
won't be spending any money with either this Vendor, or any others that
use this particular courier.

Comments?
Old May 6th 04, 01:26 AM
Pool Champ

"Black Shuck" wrote in message

[...]

I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this was your first order with this
company. As far as I know, this is to verify that the purchaser, addressee
and card holder is one and the same person and its not a fiddle. This is
common practice.
After your first order has been successfully delivered, you can normally
nominate a different delivery address.
I am not quite sure what you expected to happen knowing full well there
would be no one in to sign for it. I would go for a drive and collect it
personally
PC

Old May 6th 04, 01:31 AM
Essex Computers

[...]

Its pretty much standard practice, some companies after firt dealings will
allow deliveries to other addresses, mostly if you pay by debit card you can
have it delivered anywhere.

I dont thinl you should put City-Link at fault because they have afterall
delivered to the address they was contractced to, and think that citylink
score high here compared to other couriers who are happy to deliver to any
address or leave parcels wherever. One of the main reasons I chose to open
an account with them was becuase of that additional security.

Although I understand your point - to be perfectly honest I think you are a
bit of a prat for ordering these items when you knew you would not be at
home to recieve them, and if you can not be bothered to goto the depot to
collect them then I rreally dont see you point is relevent, and it is also
off topic for his group, you may get some sympathy in the uk.comp.vendors
group.

andy

Old May 6th 04, 01:37 AM
Traveller

"Black Shuck" wrote in message
I purchased some items from a UK computer vendor, who foolishly decided
to put his companies reputation in the hands of Initial/CityLink.

Basically, the problem is, they have tried to deliver my items 2 days on
the trot now, but nobody was home to sign for them, City Link will now
not attempt redelivery, they will also not redirect to my work address,
and a "short" trip to pick it up from their depot, is actually a 70 mile
round trip. They have also given me 3 days to pick it up from the
depot, before it gets sent back to the vendor. The vendor says that
City Link will then charge him £19 for that return. The vendor has said
they will then refund any left over money from the original purchase
price minus the £19 return delivery charge... (how nice!!!).

ISTM that the supplier has not performed under the meaning of the DSR - i.e.
the goods have not been delivered. I am astounded that Citylink will
neither attempt redelivery, nor redirect, and the distance from you to the
depot is hardly a short trip, as you state.

I would put pressure on the supplier to force CityLink to fulfil their
obligations. You could also try calling their head office: see
http://www.city-link.co.uk for details, and asking for the MD. Be
insistent, and you'll get his PA I should think.

If you're unsuccessful and the consignment is returned to the vendor, I
should think that they would be obliged to either deliver or refund in full
to you. They have not performed the contract until you receive the goods,
and you are acting reasonably in an attempt to get the goods delivered.
CityLink, who are acting for the vendor, are not acting reasonably - and
that is still a key concept in UK law.

Old May 6th 04, 01:39 AM
Essex Computers

Snip

you may get some sympathy in the uk.comp.vendors
group.

andy

oops Just noticed it was X-posted there too

Old May 6th 04, 01:39 AM
Traveller

"Essex Computers" wrote in message

I dont thinl you should put City-Link at fault because they have afterall
delivered to the address they was contractced to, and think that citylink
score high here compared to other couriers who are happy to deliver to any
address or leave parcels wherever. One of the main reasons I chose to open
an account with them was becuase of that additional security.

Ah, but City Link have NOT delivered. The OP is asking them to re-attempt
delivery, presumably because he can arrange to be at home at another time,
and they are not being reasonable - it's not out of order to expect a
courier firm to make at least 1 redelivery attempt.

Old May 6th 04, 01:47 AM
scorpio18

"Traveller" wrote in message
snip
I would put pressure on the supplier to force CityLink to fulfil their
obligations. You could also try calling their head office: see
http://www.city-link.co.uk for details, and asking for the MD. Be
insistent, and you'll get his PA I should think.

The contract for delivery is between the vendor and City Link. City Link
must deliver to the address which the vendor states, not the recipient. City
Link have fulfilled their obligations by delivering (attempts made) to the
address which the contract from the vendor stated.

If you're unsuccessful and the consignment is returned to the vendor, I
should think that they would be obliged to either deliver or refund in

full
to you. They have not performed the contract until you receive the goods,
and you are acting reasonably in an attempt to get the goods delivered.
CityLink, who are acting for the vendor, are not acting reasonably - and
that is still a key concept in UK law.

I'm not sure how the law stands exactly on this, but I think they are within
their rights to charge for the re-delivery if it's stated in their t&c's.
City Link have acted very reasonably as they have no obligation to deliver
elsewhere. I would be annoyed if my couriers delivered elsewhere just
because a customer requests it direct to the couriers. If there was a
problem, such as the parcel got into the wrong hands and the new delivery
location, it would create more hassle.

--
Scorpio

Old May 6th 04, 01:48 AM
scorpio18

"Traveller" wrote in message
"Essex Computers" wrote in message

I dont thinl you should put City-Link at fault because they have

afterall
delivered to the address they was contractced to, and think that

citylink
score high here compared to other couriers who are happy to deliver to

any
address or leave parcels wherever. One of the main reasons I chose to

open
an account with them was becuase of that additional security.

Ah, but City Link have NOT delivered. The OP is asking them to re-attempt
delivery, presumably because he can arrange to be at home at another time,
and they are not being reasonable - it's not out of order to expect a
courier firm to make at least 1 redelivery attempt.

They did. If you read the OP's post again, they tried to deliver 2 days in a
row.

--
Scorpio

Old May 6th 04, 01:49 AM
Essex Computers

"Traveller" wrote in message
[...]

No way, your totally wrong, its up to the supplier where the goods get
delivered and If you call citylink they should ask the supplier about
re-delivery but at the end of the day its down to them, if the supplier gets
a chargeback then they will have to supply evidence of delivery to
cardholders address, how can they do that if it was not delivered there, I
have and always will refuse any such redirections and most honorable
suppliers would.

Its totally open for fraud if courier companies carried out work in the way
you presume

Old May 6th 04, 01:50 AM
Essex Computers

"Traveller" wrote in message
"Essex Computers" wrote in message

I dont thinl you should put City-Link at fault because they have

afterall
delivered to the address they was contractced to, and think that

citylink
score high here compared to other couriers who are happy to deliver to

any
address or leave parcels wherever. One of the main reasons I chose to

open
an account with them was becuase of that additional security.

Ah, but City Link have NOT delivered. The OP is asking them to re-attempt
delivery, presumably because he can arrange to be at home at another time,
and they are not being reasonable - it's not out of order to expect a
courier firm to make at least 1 redelivery attempt.

They already have made 1 extra attempt, they have carded twice, which is
enough IMO