Are Computer Fairs all crap?

Old September 29th 03, 10:13 AM
Morgan

Living near to the Manchester one, Bowlers, I am dismayed at the cost of
entry as well as the prices. Being near to both Aria and Microdirect the
prices at both of those shops are often better than at the fair. Plus you
know that the shop is going to be there every day in the week in case that
you have problems.

The again at one time some people seemed to do more business just outside of
Bowlers then they did inside, until trading standards got involved.

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 29th 03, 10:32 AM
Bagpuss

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:49:15 +0100, wrote:

In message , Tony Sutton
writes
"Alec" wrote in message
m...
For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what

saw.

Agreed, same here (Norwich)

In the old days, they used to be good and cheap.

Now, not anymore and I have stopped going. Not worth going there again.

Same here just down the road from you Tony (Lowestoft)
went to local computer fair at the sports centre paid to go in and all
they had was about 7 overpriced stalls, and no blank cds which i was
originally after.
i was in and out within 5 minutes.
Anyone remember the old computer fairs they used to have at wembly /
alexandra palace back in the days of the amiga???

I remember going back to the days of the Spectrum first comming out,
ZX81 stalls, Compukit stuff at fiars and the like.

Now its just expensive tat.

I spoke to on trader the last time I went to a fair and he said the
only way to make money now is with cheap system pulls. If your
turnover is enoght to clear old stock they you don't need computer
fairs, if you can't turn over the stuff you are left selling
overprices out of date kit. At least with 2nd hand pulls the buyer
knows what they are getting.

Then again I did see PII 266 slot 1 processors going £40 a pop.

Its the same old tat, only worth it for one of the stalls that off
loads games cheap to clear out stock, but even that was tat last time
I saw them.
--
This post does not reflect the opinions of all saggy cloth
cats be they a bit loose at the seams or not
Old September 29th 03, 10:36 AM
Bagpuss

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:34:01 +0100, ""
wrote:

I've stopped going to my local fair unless it's for ink or CD's

Recently I noticed that several stalls were selling e-buyer stuff at
inflated prices. Things likes fans, etc, because I had bought them only
recently myself. I saw a 'Media Port' at one stall which you can get from
e-buyer for 12 quid, they were charging 20 !!

Might as well cut out the middle man and go straight to e-buyer.

We have a local shop that advertises "Computer Fair" prices. a 15
meter ether ethernet cable was near £17, a sound card I recently
bought for £8 was £16. They tried to sell me on the premis that the
cost of mail order was not added. To which I replied that I go and
collect. They then said "Ah but then you have to add petrol". But I
said "Ahh but its fsking less than £8 and its a really nice bike ride
down country roads and I have to pay to get here anyway". Needless to
say I went to the other place and for the price the local shop wanted
to charge for 3 etehrnet cables, I got the cables and a router.
Old September 29th 03, 01:34 PM
gappy

They're all fat long haired con men who have probably never even kissed a
girl

"Alec" wrote in message
. ..
For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what

saw.
Stalls selling copied software (illegal surely?), secondhand parts

wrenched
from old PCs and Macs, under-spec PCs with flashing coloured lights and
various bits and pieces, mainly OEM or 'no name' parts. Prices were
consistently higher than what I could get at retail counters or mail

order,
and yet people were happy to pay £10 for the same network card I'd just
bought mail order for £3.
Are all computer fairs like this? I heard one trader say to a hesitant
customer, 'You pay double this at PC World.' Who are they kidding?

Alec

Old September 29th 03, 02:53 PM
Cornelius J Rat

"Alec" wrote
For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what

saw.
Stalls selling copied software (illegal surely?), secondhand parts

wrenched
from old PCs and Macs, under-spec PCs with flashing coloured lights and
various bits and pieces, mainly OEM or 'no name' parts. Prices were
consistently higher than what I could get at retail counters or mail

order,
and yet people were happy to pay £10 for the same network card I'd just
bought mail order for £3.
Are all computer fairs like this? I heard one trader say to a hesitant
customer, 'You pay double this at PC World.' Who are they kidding?

I went to one at Everton a year ago with a friend who desperately needed a
RAM upgrade. It was pretty much as you describe (pirate DVDs being sold from
the back of a van in the car park also featured) but we bought the RAM from
a stall which turned out to be Swan Computers of Stockport, who gave him a
proper receipt and everything. The price wasn't bad either, if you ignored
the fiver paid for entry.

Old September 29th 03, 03:02 PM
Andy Smith

actually - whilst I have been to some crap 'fairs', the ones held at
Whitchurch Sports Centre in Bristol are generally very good - I go regularly
and see the same good traders all the time - prices are ok in comparison
with Ebuyer et al - and the range of stuff is good. There are always cowboys
at fairs - you learn to spot and avoid them.
and no - I'm not related to anybody at all-formats computer fairs.
Cheers
Andy

Old September 29th 03, 03:47 PM
Bagpuss

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:34:14 +0100, "gappy" wrote:

They're all fat long haired con men who have probably never even kissed a
girl

We get diddy men with short hair cuts who drag their other halfs and
kids out to do the sales whilst they ponce about behind their stalls
acting like they actually know somthing.

Mostly they are just a load of localish traders trying to off load
their old tat and have an organisation charge you for the priviledge
of looking at it. Its little more than a car boot sale in many cases.
Old September 29th 03, 03:54 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Bagpuss" wrote in message
Then again I did see PII 266 slot 1 processors going £40 a pop.

Hardly worth £10!

Old September 29th 03, 06:16 PM
dg

They are crapper than crap

Like you say, over priced, secondhand, and obsolete gear.

I think they are for people who have either little knowledge of computers,
and get caught up in the frenzy of asuming that there are bargains to be
had, and those who are looking for ancient parts to keep their win 3.1
systems going.

I sometimes get dragged along with an inexperienced relative for advice. I
love flicking through the quaint manual of Corel Paint 1 and such like (for
an asking price which more than the latest release costs!), and listening to
the sales talk of the dealers trying to flog the latest "50 million clipart
and font disk" and bargain inkjet paper to the unsuspecting OAP.

The £3 entrance fee is worth it purely for entertainment value, but as
access to good quality, cheap computer gear... LOL

dg

. ..

Old September 29th 03, 09:53 PM
Snowdon Computers

"Alec" wrote in message
. ..
For the first time in 10 years I've gone to a computer fair at a local
hotel. Had to pay £2.50 just to get in. I was pretty underwhelmed by what

saw.
Stalls selling copied software (illegal surely?), secondhand parts

wrenched
from old PCs and Macs, under-spec PCs with flashing coloured lights and
various bits and pieces, mainly OEM or 'no name' parts. Prices were
consistently higher than what I could get at retail counters or mail

order,
and yet people were happy to pay £10 for the same network card I'd just
bought mail order for £3.
Are all computer fairs like this? I heard one trader say to a hesitant
customer, 'You pay double this at PC World.' Who are they kidding?

Yes, I attend a certain auction in Manchester from time to time which is a
disposal 'outlet' for Maplins to sell off their customer returned stock. I
speak to other bidders and a few are quite open about them buying these
returns cheap here to sell at computers fairs without bothering to test
them.
--

Best Regards
Niel Humphreys