Evesham spam

Old September 15th 03, 02:58 PM
Andrew Bell

Default Evesham spam

An interesting read for those who may consider buying from evesham.
http://www.softrock.co.uk/spam/spammers/spam001.html

--
Andrew
The above address IS valid but will go straight to my spambin. If you

Old September 15th 03, 03:19 PM
Lee J. Moore

In uk.comp.vendors, Andrew waffled thusly:

An interesting read for those who may consider buying from
evesham.

http://www.softrock.co.uk/spam/spammers/spam001.html

Interesting but only slightly surprising. Their cluelessness
does seem to increase with each passing year. What's the
general consensus in uk.comp.vendors regarding Evesham micros?

I've only had one experience with them, when my brother
purchased a PC from them (against my advice) a couple of years
ago. It kept on overheating due to an inadequate HS & fan on an
AthlonTB processor (notorious for going nuclear) and the dodgy
motherboard still causes problems with Windows (then ME, now
XP). Technical support were hostile - despite my diplomacy -
and I ended up sorting out the processor problem myself: thermal
paste and a coppermine fan resulted in a 30C temperature
decrease.
--
Lee J. Moore
http://cafe-society.com
Old September 15th 03, 04:20 PM
Lee J. Moore

In uk.comp.vendors, Malev waffled thusly:

There was a long thread last week in uk.people.consumers about
Evesham Micros.

The only one I could see from last week was 13 articles long.

No bitching competitors in the thread.

As opposed to what? The factual allegations in this thread?

Good report.

One person has bought from them.
One person had not had "significant dealings" with them.

I don't think the OP was wise to consider them 'safe' based on
that.
--
Lee J. Moore
http://cafe-society.com
Old September 15th 03, 04:56 PM
SLP

"Lee J. Moore" wrote in message
In uk.comp.vendors, Malev waffled thusly:

There was a long thread last week in uk.people.consumers about
Evesham Micros.

The only one I could see from last week was 13 articles long.

No bitching competitors in the thread.

As opposed to what? The factual allegations in this thread?

Good report.

One person has bought from them.
One person had not had "significant dealings" with them.

I don't think the OP was wise to consider them 'safe' based on
that.
--
Lee J. Moore
http://cafe-society.com

I've always found Evesham to be a decent company and have recommended them
to friends and customers for several years now, without any problems at all.

SLP

Old September 15th 03, 05:55 PM
Bruce Stephens

"SLP" writes:

[...]

I've always found Evesham to be a decent company and have
recommended them to friends and customers for several years now,
without any problems at all.

As a vendor as far as I know they're fine. A couple of people at work
are using Evesham boxes, and they work fine.

Personally I won't deal with them because they spammed me recently.
One was to an email address that's not an email address---it's a
message-id from an email I sent to the gcc mailing list years ago, so
obviously it came from web scraping. So either Evesham does web
scaping itself or, more likely, they buy mailing lists from scumbags
who do. In either case, I want nothing to do with a company that does
that. However, as far as I know they'll deliver decent kit at a
decent price when they say they will, so in those terms they're
probably a good company to buy from. Depends what your standards are.
Old September 15th 03, 08:19 PM
Bruce Stephens

"Andrew Bell" writes:

An interesting read for those who may consider buying from evesham.
http://www.softrock.co.uk/spam/spammers/spam001.html

I got the same. I hadn't noticed lowestonweb, but searching my mail
logs I see I received a couple from that address, too.

Inspired by this story,
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/67/32764.html, I checked the
ASA's website, http://www.asa.org.uk/index.asp. It does appear that
they claim to regulate email advertising, and that from 4 March 2003
explicit consent is required before sending email (or SMS)
advertisements to consumers. (There are exceptions for when you're
already a customer. Details are in section 43 of the CAP Code, DIRECT
MARKETING RULES-DATABASE PRACTICE.) So I've made a complaint.

I'm not suggesting that everyone immediately complain about Evesham (I
don't know how the ASA works, so I'm not sure that that would be
useful). I merely mention that it looks like the UK is opt-in, so for
the 0.1% or so of spam that actually comes from an identifiable UK
company, the Advertising Standards Authority might be able to give
them a rap on the knuckles.
Old September 17th 03, 05:05 PM
Ross Tregaskis

Bruce Stephens wrote in
:

Personally I won't deal with them because they spammed me recently.
One was to an email address that's not an email address---it's a
message-id from an email I sent to the gcc mailing list years ago, so
obviously it came from web scraping. So either Evesham does web
scaping itself or, more likely, they buy mailing lists from scumbags
who do. In either case, I want nothing to do with a company that does
that.

They spammed me, and I've *NEVER* bought from them. The spam run (which
was automatically classed as such by Thunderbird's Bayesian filter) was
sent from a server which appears on first glance to be run by Evesham
itself, and the address it was sent to can only have been obtained by a
dictionary attack run (since it has never been posted in that form).

It appears they have bought a very, very tainted list; of course, buying
a list itself is a no-no. The fools.

--
Ross Tregaskis
online diary @ http://www.inquisitor.myinternetpass.com

Old September 17th 03, 06:13 PM
Tony Sutton

"Andrew Bell" wrote in
message ...
An interesting read for those who may consider buying from evesham.
http://www.softrock.co.uk/spam/spammers/spam001.html

I got it just now and this was an interesting read. Subjected "September
offers from Evesham Technology"

Thanks for sharing it.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old September 17th 03, 11:51 PM
peter

My note to Evesham tonight:

CC: , ,
, ,

Enough of this spam.
Do you realise how much your (reasonably good) reputation is being
tarnished by this recent bout of spamming, both from Evesham and your
rather dubious sounding affiliate 'lowestonweb'?

Regarding this bit:
'If you have received this email in error then please accept our
sincerest apologies, this error may have occurred through another
person entering your email address or a database provider not washing
their data correctly.'

Well what a load of crap. The address you sent this spam to,
, has only ever been used for usenet posting,
therefore you could only have got hold of it either by trawling
newsgroups, or by buying a list from a spamhaus who trawls news groups
for you. You could not have acquired this address by legitimate means.
If you consider that you did acquire this address by legitimate means
please let me know who provided it, since I have never been a customer
of yours.

I personally never do business with spammers, that now includes you.
In the past, when I have (not infrequently) been asked for an opinion
of your company, I have always said that you are a reputable outfit.
In future I shall think twice about that.

I look forward to your response and apology.

cc uk.comp.vendors (from where you presumably trawled my address)

Old September 18th 03, 09:37 AM
display.systems

In article , peter
writes
cc uk.comp.vendors (from where you presumably trawled my address)

Not sure about that, I got the "September Offer" spam mail from them as
well but it was addressed to my wifes email address (on her own domain)
which she only uses on about 3 newsgroups all of which are horse
related.

Neither of us has ever bought anything from Evesham (nor are we likely
to now!) and the address is only used for private emails, all the web
based purchasing/enquiries etc. are done using one of my addresses.

Kind Regards,

Jeff Davison

Display Systems Consultants UK