Hard Drive Format Number and used HDs

Old February 15th 04, 12:44 AM
Spooky

Default Hard Drive Format Number and used HDs

Using a Packard Bell, model PLT XI, 166 MHz, with original
install disks, I attempted to format two used HDs, each was
recognized by the BIOS but not by Win95. The diagnostic
software on the install disk identified that the used HDs
had mapped partitions, none bootable. Does that means that
the chip on each used HD is still good? The used HDs are a
3.2 GB Maxtor, model 90320D2 and a 1.5 GB Western Digital
Caviar 21600.

I attempted to format one of the used HDs, after connecting
it as C:, the primary HD. The format software on the
install disk required the Hard Drive Format Number before it
would start the format. The format software would not
accept random entries. After putting the PC back together,
I found the Hard Drive Format Number on the PB system
credentials. No format has been attempted with the Hard
Drive Format Number.

Does the Hard Drive Format Number function as a password?
The number for the original HD is 556038.SRC, which looks
like a file name to me. The prompt did not appear when I
formatted the original (and still working) HD with the
install disk format software. Is it only good for the
original HD? If the used HD needs its own Hard Drive Format
Number, how would I determine each number for the two used
HDs?
Old February 15th 04, 03:18 PM
Elector

"Spooky" wrote in message
[...]

The Hard Drive format number would be needed if your reinstalling back
to Packard Bell date of manufacturer. You would not need to use a
format number for a slave drive. A simple boot disk with the
Format.com command on it is all that is needed. You can get a bootdisk
from http://www.bootdisk.com I like using the Windows 98 or ME
versions since they allow for CD rom support.

You would need to have the secondary drive on the controller ribbon as
SLAVE and then from the DOS prompt enter the command as if at the boot
disk prompt it would look like this"

a:

you then type:

a:format [space][insert the slave drive number here with a colon:]
then hit enter

A command of "all media on drive ?? [?? should be the slave drive]
will be erased, continue Y/N type Y then hit the enter key.

After the secondary drive is formatted it will be viewable by the
system and usable.

I advocate the total non use of any Packard Bell recovery CD or
diskettes since doing a fresh install with the OS of your choice is
best. And the needed drivers for your sound card and or modem or video
can be obtain on the web or off the supplied cd that came with the
system.

I hope that helped?

Elector

Old February 15th 04, 04:56 PM
Ben Myers

If the original poster to this thread is still using Windows 95A (I hope not!),
then the partitions set up by FDISK are limited to FAT16 2.1GB in size. To use
a Win 98 or ME boot disk with Win 95A, answer NO! when FDISK asks whether or not
to enable large disk support... Ben Myers

Old February 16th 04, 12:28 AM
Elector

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
If the original poster to this thread is still using Windows 95A (I

hope not!),
then the partitions set up by FDISK are limited to FAT16 2.1GB in

size. To use
a Win 98 or ME boot disk with Win 95A, answer NO! when FDISK asks

whether or not
to enable large disk support... Ben Myers

True, I am glad you caught that. In this day of the Windows XP and
2000 I don't even think of 95 anything ha ha

Elector

Old February 17th 04, 08:01 AM
Spooky

Elector wrote:

"Spooky" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, bootdisk.com had everything that was needed to make
one of the used HDs a secondary drive.

Old February 17th 04, 12:35 PM
Elector

"Spooky" wrote in message
Thanks, bootdisk.com had everything that was needed to make
one of the used HDs a secondary drive.

Your welcome...

Elector