Never buy from PC World

Old September 11th 05, 12:22 AM
Bob Eager

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:33:28 UTC, Conor wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
says...
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:38:02 UTC, "Adam" wrote:

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for customers'
statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World.

True of the whole Dixons Group.

True of any retailer with any common sense. Only a complete ****wit of
a business would give a refund without proof of purchase.

Yes, but Dixons Group don't stop there...they really have a complete
lack of respect for consumers' rights.

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old September 11th 05, 01:07 AM
Lordy

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:22:25 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

nless they didn't give a receipt and you paid cash. They'd find it
difficult to demand proof then!

And you'd learn an important lesson...

Lordy

Old September 11th 05, 01:11 AM
Lordy

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:22:25 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Yes, but Dixons Group don't stop there...they really have a complete
lack of respect for consumers' rights.

I've found them OK. However the branches that take returns easily are also
more likely to have them back on the shelves...

Remember a good percentage of returns they have to
deal with are due to incompatabilities/user error rather than faulty items
etc. So when you are trying to return something , bear in mind thats the
first thing they suspect.

I often find it helpful to be slightly "imaginative" as I approach
customer services desk

Lordy
Old September 11th 05, 08:49 AM
Tim S Kemp

Conor wrote:

Actually you're the dumb **** and PC Worlds were in the right. You
must be able to produce proof of purchase. Even in SOGA it states
this.

No. You don't. You can return any item bought within the EU to any retailer
that supplies that item and expect them to handle the repair thereof.

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

Old September 11th 05, 10:46 AM
Trev

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Bob Eager
says...
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:38:02 UTC, "Adam" wrote:

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for customers'
statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World.

True of the whole Dixons Group.

True of any retailer with any common sense. Only a complete ****wit of
a business would give a refund without proof of purchase.

yes even ME & SO have stopped it, Maybe their profit will start going up
now

Old September 11th 05, 10:53 AM
Trev

"Martin Milan" wrote in message
Conor wrote in
t:

In article , Bob Eager
says...
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:38:02 UTC, "Adam" wrote:

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for
customers' statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World.

True of the whole Dixons Group.

True of any retailer with any common sense. Only a complete ****wit of
a business would give a refund without proof of purchase.

Proof of purchase is not necessarily a receipt - it's not beyond them to
check to see if they have sold a KVM recently to your credit card
(assuming this wasn't a cash payment)...

I would have though taking the necessary information of when and where you
bought it with you would be the sensible thing. Next will be complaing they
would not refund as he did not tack it back.
One problem with DSG is that they too readily swap items for customers who
bought the wrong one. This is why too much of their stock is pre tried or in
complete or plane bugged

Old September 11th 05, 11:10 AM
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
"Adam" wrote:

Hi Everyone

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for customers'
statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World. I bought a KVM switch from
them a few weeks ago, and it worked fine at first, so I didn't bother
keeping the receipt. However, earlier today, it stopped working, so I took
it back to PC World to get it replaced. I spoke to the manager, who was
totally unhelpful and refused point blank to do anything about it because I
didn't have the receipt. I pointed out that it is not actually a legal
requirement to produce a receipt (and anyway, would you keep a receipt for a
low-value item that worked OK at first?), but he didn't care. No receipt, no
exchange. End of story. Also end of any chance of my shopping at PC World
ever again. But I guess PC World doesn't care about that, even though I am
responsible for all IT purchasing for my company as well as buying the
occasional piece of kit for home use.

It's a tricky one because if I remember from my Dixons days proof of
purchase could simply be me saying "I remember selling it to him last
week". OTOH all of their return/exchange systems are (were, this was
some years back but it can't have changed much) geared around product
codes and receipt numbers.

How did you pay for it?

I'd say if it was a card, and you recall the date, go back in with your
statement and ask them to search their EPOS system for sales of your
KVMs product code on the day you say you purchased it.

Beyond that if they play awkward then I think they're just being knobs
and TS and head office is the way to go - I once took a punt on Stanley
Kalms email address when I'd been brushed off over a dodgy VCR and a few
days later got a nice personally signed letter from one of their
directors - it made walking back into the store even sweeter :-)

cheers,
Paul

Old September 11th 05, 12:10 PM
Martin Milan

"Trev" trevbowdenATdsl.pipexDOTnet wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, if you have the receipt to hand, then of course it would be helpful
to take it in with you. All I am saying is that it's not a legal
requirement. No sense in making life more unpleasant that it has to be
if you can avid it though.

As for DSG, well, I am also a dissatisfied PC World customer...