Capricious CDR and CDRom

Old June 29th 03, 02:19 PM
Paulo S

Default Capricious CDR and CDRom

Dear All

I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
(CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
(without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
OS is Windows2000.

Thank you a lot in advance!

Paulo
Old June 29th 03, 03:08 PM
Kenny

Which IDE channel are they on and do you have only one HDD? If either is on
same Primary IDE as HDD that one will need to be set as Slave. If both are
on Secondary IDE set one as Master, the other as Slave. If only one on
Secondary IDE set as Master.

--

Kenny

Old June 29th 03, 03:15 PM
MJP

Dear All

I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
(CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
(without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
OS is Windows2000.

Unplugging IDE cables with power on is not recommended, I speak from painful
and costly experience.

The HDD light remaining continuously lit may indicate a cable incorrectly
aligned, i.e. plugged in the wrong way round.

Have you entered the BIOS and set the IDE channels to AUTO?

MJP

---

Old June 29th 03, 03:50 PM
Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Paulo S continued:

Dear All

I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
(CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
(without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
OS is Windows2000.

To be honest I would get someone who knows /exactly/ what they are doing to
look at it - if you are pulling IDE cables out with the machine running, you
are not the person to trust with explicit instructions.
--
slumpy
no more

Old June 29th 03, 06:18 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:50:13 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
scutters "Slumpy" wrote :

[...]

Ditto:
Could cost a lot more just messing around blindly :O

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old June 29th 03, 06:32 PM
Paul - xxx

Paulo S deftly scribbled:

Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
(without unplugging them completely)

If you're doing this kind of thing, I'd suggest you've probably fried
something on the motherboard, the ide channels and any or all devices that
connect to them ..

--

Old June 29th 03, 06:39 PM
Paulo S

"MJP" wrote in message ...
[...]

MJP was absolutely right! Thank you very much indeed! The cable was
plugged in the wrong way round. Now, both the CDR than the CDRom are
perfectly working on my computer.

I would like also to thank everybody who tried to help me!

Paulo