Just a few more questions...

Old January 25th 05, 03:29 PM
Roma 27

Default Just a few more questions...

Hello all,
Well I've come close to deciding what I really want in my new system,
which will be a welcome step-up from my Athlon 800! These are the basics
I have selected:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (S939)
MSI Neo4 Diamond (PCIe, SLI)
1gb Corsair Twinx 3200XLPT RAM (2 x 512mb)
MSI 6600GT 128mb (PCIe)
In addition to those specifics I'll also be putting in 2 optical drives,
one a dual-layer DVD burner, the other either just a straight DVD reader
or DVD-Combo drive. I'm putting in a HDTV card, perhaps a media/memory
card reader, a WLAN card... that's about it I think.
I'm thinking of putting it all in an Antec Sonata case, perhaps with
additional fans or replaced stock fans to make it quieter. The Sonata
case comes with an Antec 380w PSU.

So... first of all some general questions!
I chose this system because typically I do not upgrade often, and if I
do, it would only be partial (such as a newer graphics card, extra
memory). With PCIe and SLI I think that I'll have a path to easily
upgrade graphics performance (either by updating the GPU or adding an
additional 6600GT). I play games often, but wouldn't say I'm an
"enthusiast" so I think the 6600GT represents good bang vs. buck. My
idea is to spend a large amount (but by no means a massive amount) now
for a system that should be able to keep up for 3-4 years at least - As
I said, I'm still on my Athlon 800, so the updates don't come often!
Would anyone advise me to do otherwise?

I've chosen parts that I have researched, and that seem to stand up to
overclocking quite well. I'm not going to overclock straight away, but
as the system gets older (2-3 years) I'll slowly squeeze a little more
out of it. I think the parts I've chosen are good for this, anyone think
not?

Finally the last question, thanks for bearing with me! I have a feeling
that the 380w PSU that comes with the Sonata case will not be enough for
this system. As I said, I'm thinking of adding a few system fans,
perhaps using the SLI and overclocking at a later date. I know Antec
make quality PSUs, but will this be enough? If not I already have a case
I might be able to "permanently borrow" from a friend who is overseas at
the moment... So what range should I be looking into that would allow me
enough headroom for SLI and overclocking?

If you're still reading this, I salute you! Thank you for your time!
Roma
Old January 25th 05, 04:07 PM
jacoby

With PCIe SLi step up to this psu
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=24480

Old January 26th 05, 06:30 AM
Mac Cool

So what range should I be looking into that would allow me
enough headroom for SLI and overclocking?

you want a manly man PSU...
http://pcpowerandcooling.com/pdf/510-SLI.pdf

http://takaman.jp/D/index.html?english

--
Mac Cool
Old February 7th 05, 12:57 PM
Neil

"Roma 27" wrote in message
Hello all,
Well I've come close to deciding what I really want in my new system,

I run a Gigabyte SLI, 2-6600GT's from asus, 3200+ 939, corsair hydrocool 200
watercooling modded so my zalman block fits the asus socket back plate I had
to use, coolermaster cavalier case, ocz 420 watt power stream psu, zs2
audigy sound, 1 gig G.Skill le ram (2 x 512) kit, pioneer dvd burner, system
rocks...

some benchs at 245 2.5-3-3-7 1t command using newest sandra:

There is a new dual gpu vid card on it way, soon, so SLI is possible on one
card, should be something to look into and consider depending on when you
need the system built...

Old February 13th 05, 07:56 PM
dawg

The single card SLI is only bundled with a certain motherboard. As of now
it's the only combination supported. But,not by Nvidia. Pretty sure there is
an article at www.hardocp.com the tests the Dual GPU with the bundled mobo
and couple others with limited success.
"Neil" wrote in message
.. .

Old February 14th 05, 10:31 AM
Neil

"dawg" don't wrote in message
The single card SLI is only bundled with a certain motherboard. As of now
it's the only combination supported. But,not by Nvidia. Pretty sure there
is
an article at
www.hardocp.com the tests the Dual GPU with the bundled mobo
and couple others with limited success.

ya is a gigabyte bundle didn't realize it would only work in that set up
though, have 2 gt's so guess am still in for now till they sort this out,
running the gigabyte and a couple asus en6600gt's, like it...Not all games
you see an imporvement on though,ut2k4 dont see alot sept smoother than my
9800pro was...

Old February 14th 05, 07:23 PM
dawg

I read that a profile has to be added to the video drivers to work in SLI
for each and every game. Nvidia's got a lot of updating to do. I read
somewhere they may come up with a all-in-one profile. There's another
article at hardocp.com from a few weks ago about this. Something like "Are
gamers being cheated in SLI".
"Neil" wrote in message

"dawg" don't wrote in message
[...]

Compaq EN P600 w/i820 chipset upgrade questions Eddie Crismond General 21 November 26th 04 09:17 PM
Beyond the Office [Burning Questions: Good-Bye CD-RW, Hello DVD - 05/18/2004] Ablang General 0 May 23rd 04 03:35 AM
Cooling Questions Jame General 4 December 25th 03 03:19 PM
SATA drive questions + raid questions O |V| 3 G A General 17 September 29th 03 11:28 PM
serial ATA vs ATA133...can't decide on wich...to much unanswered questions... KILOWATT General 2 July 12th 03 10:13 AM