Dell - Linux desktops

Old July 1st 04, 06:48 PM
Lenny Bruce

Default Dell - Linux desktops

It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better that
the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
Lindows-Linspire etc.

Old July 1st 04, 07:38 PM
joe_tide

You can get many Dell workstations with Red Hat pre-installed.

Old July 2nd 04, 12:31 AM
Tom Almy

Lenny Bruce wrote:
It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better that
the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
Lindows-Linspire etc.

At work I've got a Dell Precision Workstation 650 with dual 3.2GHz Xeon
processors, 4GB of RAM, dual 146GB 10000RPM SCSI drives in a RAID 0
array, and an nVidia QuadroFX3000 256MB video card (dual-DVI) which came
with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. Is that decent enough for you?
Old July 2nd 04, 11:04 AM
Eugene

Buck Rogers wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:48:44 -0700, Lenny Bruce wrote:

It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
that
the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
Lindows-Linspire etc.

Why not buy the Dell machine then install Linux yourself? I've got FreeBSD
4.10/KDE 3.2.2
running beautifully on my 2.2 Ghz/384 Mb Celeron(Dimension 2350).

Buck

Because you are still wasting the $ buying Windows. I wish I had thought to
see if I could get a refund for XP a year ago when I bought my latitude
because I don't use it.
Old July 2nd 04, 12:47 PM
Eugene

Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:

You raise an interesting point. I remember several years ago there were a
large number of Dell customers (individuals) who tried to get Dell to
refund a portion of their purchase price because they used Linux and
didn't like to be 'forced' into paying for a Windows OS that they weren't
using. After all, they argued, we can choose the other software that is
installed on our computers...why is there no choice about Windows?

Dell eventually said okay, we'll offer a refund but first you have to ship
your computers back to us so we can remove the Windows software...and you
pay the freight to us. That ended that little movement.

Rocky

I remember seeing web sites where others have requested refunds but I can't
really request because I used XP for a few months before getting sick of
it. My current workplace recently downgraded my work laptop to XP so now I
get to point, click and wait for the hard disk to churn for a while and
finally the start menu pops up. It seems some companies are getting more
Linux friendly so I should be able to factor no OS into my next laptop
purchase.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:00 PM
Tom Scales

snip I remember seeing web sites where others have requested refunds but I
can't
really request because I used XP for a few months before getting sick of
it. My current workplace recently downgraded my work laptop to XP so now

get to point, click and wait for the hard disk to churn for a while and
finally the start menu pops up. It seems some companies are getting more
Linux friendly so I should be able to factor no OS into my next laptop
purchase.

Downgraded. big grin

Hmm. Let me sit down at my laptop and get some of my work done today.

First I'll fire up Powerpoint to work ...oh, wait. No Powerpoint.
"compatibles" that aren't quite.
That's OK. I'll fire up Photoshop CS to work on my.....oh, wait, no
Photoshop. "competitors", but not the industry standard.

That's OK. I'll fire up my PVR software and setup a show ... oh, wait, no
Linux version.

Well, guess I'll work on my home automation ... no, that's not Linux
compatible.

Linux is fine, for what it does, and for many people it does a lot. For me,
and many millions of people, it doesn't have what I need.

XP is pretty darn solid.

Tom

Old July 2nd 04, 11:03 PM
Lenny Bruce

"Tom Almy" wrote in message
Lenny Bruce wrote:
It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better

that
the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
Lindows-Linspire etc.

At work I've got a Dell Precision Workstation 650 with dual 3.2GHz Xeon
processors, 4GB of RAM, dual 146GB 10000RPM SCSI drives in a RAID 0
array, and an nVidia QuadroFX3000 256MB video card (dual-DVI) which came
with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. Is that decent enough for you?

It's a little overkill for my desktop requirements. I think it's ony a
matter of time before Dell and the other big name box sellers start selling
Linux pre-installed for home/home-office users.

Old July 2nd 04, 11:07 PM
Lenny Bruce

wrote:

It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
that
the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
Lindows-Linspire etc.

Why not buy the Dell machine then install Linux yourself? I've got

FreeBSD
4.10/KDE 3.2.2
running beautifully on my 2.2 Ghz/384 Mb Celeron(Dimension 2350).

Buck

Because you are still wasting the $ buying Windows. I wish I had thought

see if I could get a refund for XP a year ago when I bought my latitude
because I don't use it.

That's my complaint also. Why should I have to buy another copy of Xp when I
don't want it.