Need info on Dell slimline desktops

Old November 6th 03, 09:41 PM
David Rogoff

Default Need info on Dell slimline desktops

Hi.

I'm looking for a PC to hook to my stereo. I want something small,
very quiet, and not too fast - 1GHz should be more than enough. I
don't need fancy graphics, a big drive, or DVD. I just need a 6 - 10
GB drive, 10/100LAN, USB, and PS/2 mouse/keyboard ports. TV out and
1394 would be nice, but I can add these if there's a spare PCI slot.

I like the Dell Dimension 4600C, but it's too expensive and much
faster than I need. On eBay I saw some old Optiplex GX1 PIII-600, but
that's a bit too old/slow.

Could someone fill me in on other Dell slimline models over the last
few years that are at least PIII-1GHz and at most P4 1.8GHz? I'd
appreciate any other comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

David
Old November 6th 03, 11:45 PM
goop

first relevant question. what are you going to be using it for? if you're
just going to play mp3s with it, you'd do fine with a 300 Mhz Pentium

om...

Old November 7th 03, 02:58 AM
Tom Almy

I've got a 1.7 GHz Celeron in a Optiplex GX60 that I bought for exactly
your usage. Very quiet, in fact it is completely silent. You can
see it he
http://almy.us/compfurn.html