Trick to installing a PATA 3.5 inch HD into a drive caddy?

Old July 22nd 13, 10:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Default Trick to installing a PATA 3.5 inch HD into a drive caddy?

I have a drive caddy with one SATA bay and one bay for either a 2.5
inch IDE drive or a 3.5 inch IDE drive. I have no problem
installing SATA drives or 2.5 inch IDE drives in it but I just can
not seem to get my 3.5 inch IDE drive in it. I think it is because
the 3.5 inch IDE drive has two different connectors on it while the
other drives have just one connector. I just do not seem to be able
to get both connectors connected at the same time.

Is there a trick to installing an IDE drive into this caddy? Could
I connect this drive by using a 'Y' power cable for the power and a
standard IDE cable for the data and leaving the drive outside of the
caddy? I know that I would have to put the drive on a wire rack so
that it would not get too hot. Thank you in advance for any help.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Old July 22nd 13, 11:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Daniel Prince" wrote
I have a drive caddy with one SATA bay and one bay for either a 2.5
inch IDE drive or a 3.5 inch IDE drive. I have no problem
installing SATA drives or 2.5 inch IDE drives in it but I just can
not seem to get my 3.5 inch IDE drive in it. I think it is because
the 3.5 inch IDE drive has two different connectors on it while the
other drives have just one connector. I just do not seem to be able
to get both connectors connected at the same time.

Is there a trick to installing an IDE drive into this caddy? Could
I connect this drive by using a 'Y' power cable for the power and a
standard IDE cable for the data and leaving the drive outside of the
caddy? I know that I would have to put the drive on a wire rack so
that it would not get too hot. Thank you in advance for any help.
--

What caddy?

*TimDaniels*
Old July 23rd 13, 12:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

"Daniel Prince" wrote
I have a drive caddy with one SATA bay and one bay for either a 2.5
inch IDE drive or a 3.5 inch IDE drive. I have no problem
installing SATA drives or 2.5 inch IDE drives in it but I just can
not seem to get my 3.5 inch IDE drive in it. I think it is because
the 3.5 inch IDE drive has two different connectors on it while the
other drives have just one connector. I just do not seem to be able
to get both connectors connected at the same time.

Is there a trick to installing an IDE drive into this caddy? Could
I connect this drive by using a 'Y' power cable for the power and a
standard IDE cable for the data and leaving the drive outside of the
caddy? I know that I would have to put the drive on a wire rack so
that it would not get too hot. Thank you in advance for any help.
--

What caddy?

It looks exactly like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-IDE-...e m3cbd9e7532

I bought mine from leewaieshop2010 but they do not seem to still
sell it.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
Old July 23rd 13, 01:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ghostrider01

On 7/22/2013 4:00 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

"Daniel Prince" wrote
[...]

Looking at the picture, the 3.5-inch PATA drive should insert
into the 3.5-inch IDE slot without requiring any modifications.

It is a 3.5-inch PATA-IDE bare drive, right?

GR
Old July 23rd 13, 01:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Daniel Prince" expanded:
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
"Daniel Prince" wrote
[...]

First, that is not a "caddy". A caddy allows a carrier, called a "tray" which
contains a hard drive, to be slid in and out. Caddies are sometimes called
"mobile racks". Here are examples of "mobile racks" or "caddies":
http://kingwin.com/products/cate/mob...obileracks.asp
What you have is called a "docking station", e.g.
http://kingwin.com/products/cate/doc...ock_series.asp

As for your difficulty in inserting a 3.5" IDE drive into your docking
station, I notice the description on the linked page mentions:
"Adjustable power pin to fit different IDE hard drive". I think that is
your answer. If you still have the User's Manual, find out how to adjust
the "power pin".

If that doesn't work, there is nothing wrong with just connecting the
HDD externally with your own power and data cables. Just make sure
that it gets adequate cooling, perhaps from a small desk fan, and that
the Master/Slave jumper is set correctly.

*TimDaniels*

Old July 23rd 13, 05:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Ghostrider01 " 00 wrote:

On 7/22/2013 4:00 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
Looking at the picture, the 3.5-inch PATA drive should insert
into the 3.5-inch IDE slot without requiring any modifications.

It is a 3.5-inch PATA-IDE bare drive, right?

Yes, It is a 3.5-inch PATA-IDE bare drive. I have tried to insert
it a least 100 times but I just cannot get it to go in. I can move
the drive left and right about one to two millimeters. I can move it
back and forth about one millimeter. I think I have put it into
every possible position but it just does not go down. Part of the
problem is that I cannot see the connectors while I am trying to
insert the drive.

Old July 23rd 13, 05:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

As for your difficulty in inserting a 3.5" IDE drive into your docking
station, I notice the description on the linked page mentions:
"Adjustable power pin to fit different IDE hard drive". I think that is
your answer. If you still have the User's Manual, find out how to adjust
the "power pin".

The manual does not say anything about adjusting a "power pin". I
have looked at the power connector and I do not see any way to
adjust it. I connected a 'Y' power cable to the power connector and
it was a very tight fit.

If that doesn't work, there is nothing wrong with just connecting the
HDD externally with your own power and data cables. Just make sure
that it gets adequate cooling, perhaps from a small desk fan, and that
the Master/Slave jumper is set correctly.

I discovered that IDE cables have three female connectors and I need
a male connector to connect to the dock. I have ordered an IDE
extension cable but the estimated delivery is: Between Friday, Jul.
26 and Tuesday, Jul. 30
Old July 23rd 13, 09:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ghostrider01

On 7/22/2013 9:56 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
Ghostrider01 " 00 wrote:

On 7/22/2013 4:00 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
Looking at the picture, the 3.5-inch PATA drive should insert
into the 3.5-inch IDE slot without requiring any modifications.

It is a 3.5-inch PATA-IDE bare drive, right?

Yes, It is a 3.5-inch PATA-IDE bare drive. I have tried to insert
it a least 100 times but I just cannot get it to go in. I can move
the drive left and right about one to two millimeters. I can move it
back and forth about one millimeter. I think I have put it into
every possible position but it just does not go down. Part of the
problem is that I cannot see the connectors while I am trying to
insert the drive.

The IDE interface slot of the dock looks pretty standard to me. But
there are 2 things to check:

1. On the hard drive, are any of the 40 pins or the 4 pins in
the power socket bent or deformed? If so, straighten them.

2. On the dock, are the inserts in the Molex power connector
properly aligned straight and properly seated?

GR
Old July 23rd 13, 09:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Ghostrider01 " 00 wrote:

The IDE interface slot of the dock looks pretty standard to me. But
there are 2 things to check:

1. On the hard drive, are any of the 40 pins or the 4 pins in
the power socket bent or deformed? If so, straighten them.

None of them look bent to me. I am able to plug a 'Y' power cable
into the power connector on the drive. I was also able to plug an
IDE cable into the drive's data connector.

I tried a different drive and I was able to connect it. I am 95
percent sure that the problem is the power connector because it is
considerably taller than the data connector.

I am thinking of using my Dremel (tm) type tool to make the power
socket on the drive slightly larger and tapered. I would also make
the plug on the dock slightly smaller. Then I would lubricate both
parts with some CRC 2-26 Multi-Purpose Lubricant. Does this sound
like a good idea?
Old July 23rd 13, 10:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Daniel Prince wrote
Ghostrider01 " 00 wrote

The IDE interface slot of the dock looks pretty standard to me.
But there are 2 things to check:

1. On the hard drive, are any of the 40 pins or the 4 pins in
the power socket bent or deformed? If so, straighten them.

None of them look bent to me. I am able to plug a 'Y'
power cable into the power connector on the drive.

But you say it's a very tight fit.

I was also able to plug an IDE cable into the drive's data connector.

I tried a different drive and I was able to connect it.

Then the problem is likely that the drive that won't fit
doesn't have the same spacing and alignment with
the two connectors as the drive the does fit does and
maybe that what movement there is with the power
connector isnt enough with the drive that doesn't fit.

I am 95 percent sure that the problem is the power connector
because it is considerably taller than the data connector.

I am thinking of using my Dremel (tm) type tool to make
the power socket on the drive slightly larger and tapered.

How can using a Dremel make it larger ? Maybe you mean
make the hole slightly larger. There isnt a lot of meat on a
Molex socket so that's not likely to be viable.

I would also make the plug on the dock slightly smaller.

Then I would lubricate both parts with some CRC 2-26
Multi-Purpose Lubricant. Does this sound like a good idea?

No, none of that sounds like a good idea, neither
using a Dremel on the sockets or using CRC either.

You'll likely find that the problem is that what movement
is possible with the power socket in the docking station
isnt enough with the drive that wont plug in. You may
be able to increase the movement of that with the dremel.

Using cables to avoid plugging it in should work too.