Video Card for Video editing, replacement question

Old July 23rd 07, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ziggs

Default Video Card for Video editing, replacement question

Currently, I have a 3GIG system that I put together 1.5 years ago. I
have a ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 AGP card, but it's failing (tried it in
two computers and fuzzy lines start to appear on the model from time
to time).

Anyway, I want to buy the cheapest replacement video card for now
because I'll get a new computer within 6 months or so.

So, my main processing needs is when I use Pinnacle to edit clips for
DVD's. So, can I get away with a cheaper card for this need? If so,
what card would you recommend? I really don't want to waste money on
a video card that I'll only need for 6 months, but I don't want to add
an additional wait time for editing videos.

TIA
Old July 23rd 07, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Michael W. Ryder

Ziggs wrote:
Currently, I have a 3GIG system that I put together 1.5 years ago. I
have a ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 AGP card, but it's failing (tried it in
two computers and fuzzy lines start to appear on the model from time
to time).

Anyway, I want to buy the cheapest replacement video card for now
because I'll get a new computer within 6 months or so.

So, my main processing needs is when I use Pinnacle to edit clips for
DVD's. So, can I get away with a cheaper card for this need? If so,
what card would you recommend? I really don't want to waste money on
a video card that I'll only need for 6 months, but I don't want to add
an additional wait time for editing videos.

TIA

Are you sure that the video card is failing and not overheating? Also
have you checked to be sure that the power supply is not failing?
Old July 23rd 07, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ziggs

I guess it could be overheating, but how would I resolve that? The
fan is spinning and the heat within the computer is within an
acceptable range.

I'm sure it's the video card since I placed it into my wife's computer
as a test. After about an hour, it developed the same fuzzy lines for
the other computer. Also, I'm using her video card in my computer and
I don't have any problems with it.

Old July 24th 07, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Captain Midnight

wrote:

Ziggs wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the heatsink is no longer making good contact with the chip.
Cleaning and applying new thermal compound may help.

Capture info:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/intro.htm

Old July 24th 07, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mike Ray

Ziggs wrote:
Currently, I have a 3GIG system that I put together 1.5 years ago. I
have a ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 AGP card, but it's failing (tried it in
two computers and fuzzy lines start to appear on the model from time
to time).

Anyway, I want to buy the cheapest replacement video card for now
because I'll get a new computer within 6 months or so.

So, my main processing needs is when I use Pinnacle to edit clips for
DVD's. So, can I get away with a cheaper card for this need? If so,
what card would you recommend? I really don't want to waste money on
a video card that I'll only need for 6 months, but I don't want to add
an additional wait time for editing videos.

TIA

I use Pinnacle (both v9.4 and v10.7)and have an ATI X700pro pci-e card.
This seems to work fine and I think the x700 should be in the $50 - $75
USD range.
see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814131307R

My system is a Pavilion 1130n:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
one Gig ram
X700 pro pci-e
Old July 24th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mike Ray

Mike Ray wrote:
Ziggs wrote:

[...]

Here is a benchmark for both the X700 and 9800. It seems they are pretty
close.
-mike
Old July 24th 07, 03:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mike Ray

Mike Ray wrote:
Mike Ray wrote:

Ziggs wrote:

[...]

Oh yea the link:
http://reviews.pimprig.com/video_car...ard.php?page=3
Old July 24th 07, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"Mike Ray" wrote in message
Mike Ray wrote:
Mike Ray wrote:

Ziggs wrote:

[...]

Some of this depends on what kind of "Video Editing" you are talking
about. Most editing will not need 3D accelerations. A good 400+
ramdac would be the main feature I would use to pick a card for that
purpose, ( I know, with digital, the "Dac" part isn't as critical, but it
can
still be a real indication of how well the card was designed.)

There are other features to consider if you want to work with HD or
compress SD using highly complex AVC/H.264 or VC-1. For that
kind of work, the new Avivo and PureVideo features can make a real
difference.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2151671,00.asp

Presents the $100-150 ATI cards that include the newest features.
While they support DX10 and newer shaders, I would not recommend
them for gaming. Their video accelerations look impressive though.

( I find it odd that the HD 2900XT still has the older version of
Avivo. )

Luck;
Ken

Old July 24th 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Ken Maltby:

Some of this depends on what kind of "Video Editing" you are talking
about. Most editing will not need 3D accelerations. A good 400+
ramdac would be the main feature I would use to pick a card for that
purpose,

That's only relevant if you want to use a CRT (or a very low-end TFT
display without DVI).

( I know, with digital, the "Dac" part isn't as critical,

The RAMDAC simply isn't used for digital connection.

but it
can
still be a real indication of how well the card was designed.)

Since the RAMDAC is integrated into the GPUs for almost a decade now
this is just nonsense.

Benjamin
Old July 25th 07, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Ken Maltby:

Some of this depends on what kind of "Video Editing" you are talking
about. Most editing will not need 3D accelerations. A good 400+
ramdac would be the main feature I would use to pick a card for that
purpose,

That's only relevant if you want to use a CRT (or a very low-end TFT
display without DVI).

( I know, with digital, the "Dac" part isn't as critical,

The RAMDAC simply isn't used for digital connection.

but it can
still be a real indication of how well the card was designed.)

Since the RAMDAC is integrated into the GPUs for almost a decade now this
is just nonsense.

Benjamin

Did you enter this thread just to snipe at me? You should know
that current cards ( and for sure older ones) support Analog VGA
as well as Digital output modes. For instance the ATI HD 2600XT
lists as one of its features: "Two integrated 400 Mhz 30-bit
RAMDACs". They also have SD and HD analog output support
with an "Integrated AMD Xilleon HDTV encoder".

But my point was that a card with a 400+ RAMDAC (integrated
within the GPU or not), would be all that you need look for, to
select a video card for editing video. A cheap card with a good
RAMDAC will do the job, all the 3D gaming accelerations are of
no special benefit for most video editing. The use of a 400Mhz or
above RAMDAC marks a true quality point for such cards.

with "Integrated GFX" , and stop trying to confuse things.

Luck;
Ken