OT - Win98

Old February 23rd 04, 02:52 PM
Brian

Default OT - Win98

Can someone tell me how to make install floppies from a Win98 CD ????? I need to instal it on a
machine that doesn't support bootable CD's........ Thanks.............

Brian..........

There is no mix up a sander can't fix up !!! (Al Bundy)
Old February 23rd 04, 04:25 PM
SleeperMan

Brian typed:

Can someone tell me how to make install floppies from a Win98 CD
????? I need to instal it on a machine that doesn't support bootable
CD's........ Thanks.............

Brian..........

There is no mix up a sander can't fix up !!! (Al Bundy)

Create boot floppy, boot from it, select support for CD's, then install from
CD. Or you can get boot floppy form www.bootdisk.com Get W98 boot floppy.
Or you can copy W98 folder to HDD first and install from HDD.
You can't install W98 from floppies, since you'd need a big bunch of them -
it's about 110 M big...

Old February 23rd 04, 04:34 PM
Dave Cohen

If your win98 cd is full version, you should be able to install from any
floppy that boots into dos, any version. If your cd is an 'update' version,
it will expect to see an installed windows system (any version). You can
fake this out by creating some sort of file or directory, but since I don't
play those games I do not know the exact details.
Dave Cohen

Old February 23rd 04, 04:53 PM
mcheu

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:52:45 GMT, Brian wrote::

Can someone tell me how to make install floppies from a Win98 CD ????? I need to instal it on a
machine that doesn't support bootable CD's........ Thanks.............

Brian..........

There is no mix up a sander can't fix up !!! (Al Bundy)

1. If the machine has a CDROM drive, you can create a boot floppy that
has DOS CDROM support (basically MSCDEX.EXE, the driver for the drive,
and matching additions to the autoexec.bat and config.sys files).
Then, you'll be able to access the drive through the install.

2. Copy the whole disc to a directory on the hard drive, then use a
spanning compression program to make a floppy disc archive of that
directory. This can take a lot of floppies though (and I mean a
***LOT***). You can then reconstitute the directory to the hard drive
on the second machine and install from there.

I don't know if it's even possible to do an install direct from
floppy.
Thanks,
MCheu
Old February 23rd 04, 05:14 PM
Eric McG

The Win98 CD is not bootable. See these articles:

How to Create a Windows 98 Startup Disk that Supports FAT32

How to Install Windows 98 on a Computer with No Operating System

Hope this helps..Reply in newsgroup only.
Eric McGillicudy

Old February 29th 04, 07:52 PM
Robert Hancock

Sure it is bootable. I don't think the Windows 95 CD was bootable, but
Windows 98 definitely is..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from