Ghost 9 command line?

Old August 5th 05, 03:05 PM
Ge

Default Ghost 9 command line?

Hello,

I'd like to run Ghost 9 backups controlled by the command line. (I have a
maintenance script that does several things, and I'd like a Ghost backup to
be part of this.) I can't find any information in the manual or online
help, and Google didn't help me either.

Is this possible at all? If so, any pointers as to how to do it?

Thanks,
Gerhard
Old August 6th 05, 11:21 PM
Michael Kimmer

Ge wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to run Ghost 9 backups controlled by the command line. (I
have a maintenance script that does several things, and I'd like a
Ghost backup to be part of this.) I can't find any information in the
manual or online help, and Google didn't help me either.

Is this possible at all? If so, any pointers as to how to do it?

Thanks,
Gerhard

Ghost 9 has no command line feature unlike its previous versions.
It's a 100% Windows based backup solution.

You are restricted to the preceding version when using a maintenance script,
version 2003, which still has a command line option.

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Old August 7th 05, 12:34 AM
DVDUsr

Michael Kimmer wrote in message ...
Ghost 9 has no command line feature unlike its previous versions.
It's a 100% Windows based backup solution.

You are restricted to the preceding version when using a maintenance script,
version 2003, which still has a command line option.

I picked up a copy of Ghost 9 at Fry's Electronics (free, less sales tax, after rebate), and discovered this the hard way.
While it seems much faster than the Ghost in SystemWorks 2003, Ghost 9 lacks the ability to skip files (-skip option) and
directories you want to exclude.
Then again, the previous Ghost couldn't skip files on NTFS partitions too

Is there a backup/imaging utility that operates like Ghost 2003, but can selectively exclude files and directories under NTFS?

Old August 7th 05, 12:44 AM
Michael Kimmer

DVDUsr wrote:
Michael Kimmer wrote in message
Ghost 9 has no command line feature unlike its previous versions.
It's a 100% Windows based backup solution.

You are restricted to the preceding version when using a maintenance
script, version 2003, which still has a command line option.

I picked up a copy of Ghost 9 at Fry's Electronics (free, less sales
tax, after rebate), and discovered this the hard way. While it seems
much faster than the Ghost in SystemWorks 2003, Ghost 9 lacks the
ability to skip files (-skip option) and directories you want to
exclude.
Then again, the previous Ghost couldn't skip files on NTFS partitions
too

Is there a backup/imaging utility that operates like Ghost 2003, but
can selectively exclude files and directories under NTFS?

I'm afraid not for the backup solutions that operate on sector level (Drive
Image technology) lack this feature.
As fas as I know version 2003 *does* support -skip even for NTFS volumes...

Old August 7th 05, 02:24 AM
Rod Speed

Michael Kimmer wrote:
DVDUsr wrote:
[...]

DI doesnt operate at the sector level.

As fas as I know version 2003 *does* support -skip even for NTFS volumes...

Old August 7th 05, 05:17 PM
Michael Kimmer

Rod Speed wrote:

DI doesnt operate at the sector level.

So, how does DI create an image then??? File by file?

Old August 7th 05, 07:36 PM
Rod Speed

Michael Kimmer wrote
Rod Speed wrote

DI doesnt operate at the sector level.

Neither does ghost unless you specify that.

So, how does DI create an image then??? File by file?

Basically. You can see ghost doing that in the
status display with some versions of ghost.

The main reason its not done at the sector level unless you
force that is because the sector level isnt that useful when
restoring to a partition that isnt identical to the original etc.

Old August 8th 05, 03:25 AM
DVDUsr

DVDUsr wrote:
Is there a backup/imaging utility that operates like Ghost 2003, but
can selectively exclude files and directories under NTFS?

I'm afraid not for the backup solutions that operate on sector level (Drive
Image technology) lack this feature.
As fas as I know version 2003 *does* support -skip even for NTFS volumes...

Ghost 2003 User's Guide, page 163:
Command-line switches (-skip=x)

"... Only FAT system files can be skipped. It is not possible to skip files on NTFS or other file systems."

I wish Symantec would fix Ghost to overcome this limitation.

Old August 9th 05, 01:53 PM
Michael Kimmer

Rod Speed wrote:
Michael Kimmer wrote
Rod Speed wrote

DI doesnt operate at the sector level.

Neither does ghost unless you specify that.

So, how does DI create an image then??? File by file?

Basically. You can see ghost doing that in the
status display with some versions of ghost.

The main reason its not done at the sector level unless you
force that is because the sector level isnt that useful when
restoring to a partition that isnt identical to the original etc.

Recap:
-Drive Image (DI): Image is created sector based
-Norton Ghost: Image is created file based
(Switches may force Norton Ghost to perform a backup
(diskcopy) sector based).

Old August 9th 05, 09:19 PM
Rod Speed

Michael Kimmer wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Michael Kimmer wrote
Rod Speed wrote

DI doesnt operate at the sector level.

Neither does ghost unless you specify that.

So, how does DI create an image then??? File by file?

Basically. You can see ghost doing that in the
status display with some versions of ghost.

The main reason its not done at the sector level unless you
force that is because the sector level isnt that useful when
restoring to a partition that isnt identical to the original etc.

Recap:
-Drive Image (DI): Image is created sector based

Nope.

-Norton Ghost: Image is created file based
(Switches may force Norton Ghost to perform a backup (diskcopy) sector
based).

Thats comprehensively mangled too. You can use a switch
with the pre 9 ghosts to create an image using sectors, not files.