Can a 300W PSU handle this baby?

Old June 25th 03, 02:40 AM
Dolphin

You shouldn't have a problem, if you RTM'sF!

Old June 26th 03, 03:08 AM
WebWalker

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:50:59 +0100, "fred do"
wrote:

In the past 7 years that I've been using computers, I have done everything
except install a mobo&psu&agp card in a case. I've done everything else.

Hopefully I can do it.

If you feel confident and knowledgeable to do it, just go ahead.
The most crucial thing is making sure the heatsink (with fan) is
properly installed on the CPU before switching it on.
Good luck !!

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279
Old June 26th 03, 04:13 AM
rcm711

Suggestion:

Test mount the CPU and heatsink on the motherboard outside the case to make
sure it is flat and making contact. For the test, you don't need to put
paste on it. Look at it from the side to make sure it is flat and making
good contact. You can leave it on if it does not interfere with mounting
the motherboard in the case.

I fried a P3 866 because I pulled my old Celeron 433 out and put in the new
866 while in the case. Well, the CPU's were different, the 866 sat lower in
the socket and my heatsink did not lie flat because it rested on the socket
top edge itself, making contact on an angle. The heatsink I reused was good
enough I thought but not the right design for the P3 and this socket.

I had to change to a heatsink with a notch to stop the contact with the
socket. Expensive lesson. I only found out when I pulled the motherboard
and put in a 733 and saw the heatsink was resting on the socket and touching
the cpu on one side only. I would have fried that too. Lucky. Now I
always check that the heatsink is right for the job.

What is the definition of experience? Just making mistakes and learning
from them. The more experience you have, the more mistakes you
made/survived. That is why I love reading these hardware newsgroups, I
learn from everyone else's mistakes/experiences without the cost of killing
hardware or going nuts fixing a problem...

Old June 26th 03, 01:02 PM
Greg M

I got a nice Orb off of my bro-in-law a while back.

He did the same thing.

"rcm711" wrote in
a: