ZipZoomFly and DOA Hitachi SATA drives

Old January 29th 05, 03:52 PM
AndrewJ

Thanks for putting this in the storage discussion.

The hard drives were sealed in a plastic electrostatic bag. I assumed
that these were manufacturer- provided. Maybe I'm wrong. The bags did
not appear damaged in any way. (Mind you, only one of the HD's was
dented. But both looked like they were refurbs, with a newer label
slapped on top of an old one, and scratch marks all around the corner
screws.)

When I said that " ZipZoomFly's 'customer service' approach has put me
in a situation where I have no evidence. " I meant that their telling
me I was at fault left me with nothing to show. I can't prove I didn't
do it. There's nothing I can offer except the truth.

Thanks for the followups. If I get my refund, I'll be looking at
newegg more- I believe I bought my camera from them.

AS

The most crooked harware sales have to do with HDD's. I stick with
newegg to avoid all that crap. My local store sold me the same
defective drive twice! Sealed in a bag with a factory sticker sayinyg
it was certified. They later after alot of arguing admitted resealing
saying they believed it was good. When I plugged this drive in it
sounded like nutws and bolts bouncing around in a cigar box.
Old January 29th 05, 08:17 PM
stealth

"jimbo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have bought many items from ZipZoomFly without any problems. And if
you check the merchant rating at some place like PriceGrabber, you will
find the highest customer rating of 5 stars. I have seen a few threads
such as this before and I have to wonder about a deliberate attempt to
besmirch ZipZoomFly's reputation.

jimbo

Buying isn't the issue.....returns and customer service is. I've dealt with
both Newegg and ZipZoomFly on above average scale, and when all is well,
there is no difference between the two, other than Newegg does seem to be a
bit faster in the shipping department. However, on rare occasion when there
is a problem, I would much rather deal with Newegg. That's not to say that I
haven't had issues with both companies, just that Newegg has always been
more receptive and accommodating in resolving any problems.

My $.02 and worth every damn penny!! g

Old January 29th 05, 09:05 PM
John Doe

"stealth" wrote:
"jimbo" wrote in message

I have bought many items from ZipZoomFly without any problems.
And if you check the merchant rating at some place like
PriceGrabber, you will find the highest customer rating of 5
stars. I have seen a few threads such as this before and I have
to wonder about a deliberate attempt to besmirch ZipZoomFly's
reputation.

Buying isn't the issue.....returns and customer service is.
... Newegg does seem to be a bit faster in the shipping department.

ZipZoomFly provides fast, no extra charge second-day air
shipping/handling.

I think all online sellers should include shipping/handling in the
price. When I go to a local store, I know what the price is because I
know how much the tax will be. Many online sellers don't tell you
what the real price is until after you have gone to the trouble of
placing the items in your basket and filling out customer
information.

Even on eBay usually the most you have to do is provide a ZIP code.

Old January 29th 05, 09:23 PM
John Doe

"jimbo" wrote:

I have bought many items from ZipZoomFly without any problems. And
if you check the merchant rating at some place like PriceGrabber,
you will find the highest customer rating of 5 stars. I have seen a
few threads such as this before and I have to wonder about a
deliberate attempt to besmirch ZipZoomFly's reputation.

It just depends on how much the merchant is paying for publication
of positive reviews/results, in whatever location. At BUY.COM, you
won't find reviews (of products) less than five stars.

I require negative comments as well so I know whether or not the
issues are something I would be concerned about. Issues which should
affect some buyers might not affect me. Then there is personal
experience or experience from people I know and trust, or at least
people I can reach and grab hold of if they are wrong [playing].

Old January 29th 05, 09:25 PM
stealth

"John Doe" wrote in message
"stealth" wrote:
"jimbo" wrote in message

[...]

As I said, I've dealt with both, and perhaps I should have worded my meaning
differently. To clarify, Newegg seems to get the item to the shipper a bit
quicker than does ZZF. Not always, but more often than not. As for final
price, Newegg has free shipping on many items, and whenever the shipping is
not free, it is listed in plain view next to the item price. Of course, if
you're mathematically challenged and need the two totaled for you, then by
all means, use ZZF. G

That said, I reiterate that the real issue of this thread is customer
service should a problem arise, and without fail, Newegg leads the pack in
that regard.

Old January 29th 05, 09:34 PM
JAD

" Newegg leads the pack in
that regard.

pack = ZZF?

Old January 29th 05, 09:34 PM
John Doe

"stealth" wrote:

As I said, I've dealt with both, and perhaps I should have worded
my meaning differently. To clarify, Newegg seems to get the item to
the shipper a bit quicker than does ZZF. Not always, but more often
than not. As for final price, Newegg has free shipping on many
items, and whenever the shipping is not free, it is listed in plain
view next to the item price.

That resolves the issue, in my opinion.

Of course, if
you're mathematically challenged and need the two totaled for you,
then by all means, use ZZF. G

I bet that's funny.

I said doing that with sales tax is no problem. Understood should
have been that adding a stated shipping/handling charge would be no
problem.

I'm glad your store does that. Many online stores make you go
through a process to find shipping/handling.

Old January 29th 05, 11:18 PM
jimbo

Price Grabber comparisons: NewEgg, 5 Stars with 4077 customer reviews.
ZipZoomFly, 5 stars with 8347 customer reviews. Buy.com, 2 1/2 stars
with 1178 customer reviews. I have purchased from both NewEgg and
ZipZoomFly with no problems. I wouldn't touch Buy.com with a 10 foot
pole. I haven't read all 13,602 customer reviews, but ZipZoomFly and
NewEgg are doing something right and Buy.com is doing something wrong.
jimbo

Old January 29th 05, 11:31 PM
John Doe

The author has no personal experience with BUY.COM and yet he is
compelled to provide you with his opinion of BUY.COM. Case in point.

Again, you listen to what people have bad to say and you apply the
bad/good to your own personal preferences. That's how you decide.

From: "jimbo"
From: "jimbo" jimbo62 @spamex.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: ZipZoomFly and DOA Hitachi SATA drives
Date: 29 Jan 2005 15:18:16 -0800

Old January 30th 05, 12:23 AM
jimbo

Hey John Doe, I don't have time in my life time to experience all
vendors. I depend on other folks experiences. So, you tell me, are 1178
Buy.com customers wrong, and your single opinion right? Give me a
break! It is not my opinion, it is the opinion of 1178 other customers.
I don't give a rat's ass if you love Buy.com. I choose my vendors based
on many, many other folks experiences.

jimbo