Optiplex question

Old May 17th 08, 05:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
petert

Default Optiplex question

Hi,

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and wish to replace the CD drive with a
DVD drive - can anyone please advise of a suitable DVD drive for this
PC?

--
Cheers

Peter
--
Cheers

Peter
Old May 17th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and wish to replace the CD drive with a
DVD drive - can anyone please advise of a suitable DVD drive for this
PC?

--
Cheers

Peter
--
Cheers

Peter

WHICH GX620? Is it the full size case? If so, any DVD drive or DVD
burner will work.

Old May 17th 08, 06:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
petert

On Sat, 17 May 2008 16:28:13 GMT, "Tom Scales"

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and wish to replace the CD drive with a
DVD drive - can anyone please advise of a suitable DVD drive for this
PC?

--
Cheers

Peter
--
Cheers

Peter

WHICH GX620? Is it the full size case? If so, any DVD drive or DVD
burner will work.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. This is the model:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/picture_libra...21946.jpg?4454

--
Cheers

Peter
--
Cheers

Peter
Old May 17th 08, 07:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and wish to replace the CD drive with a
DVD drive - can anyone please advise of a suitable DVD drive for this
PC?

--
Cheers

Peter
--
Cheers

Peter

WHICH GX620? Is it the full size case? If so, any DVD drive or DVD
burner will work.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. This is the model:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/picture_libra...21946.jpg?4454

--
Cheers

Peter
--
Cheers

Peter

Any standard sized IDE/PATA DVD ROM, Combo, or DVDRW drive will work fine:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...es.htm#1148988

Old May 17th 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
petert

On Sat, 17 May 2008 13:52:41 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

.. .

[...]

Many thanks - sorted.

--
Cheers

Peter
Old May 17th 08, 08:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:53 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and wish to replace the CD drive with

DVD drive - can anyone please advise of a suitable DVD drive for

this
PC?

--
Cheers

Peter
--
Cheers

Peter

WHICH GX620? Is it the full size case? If so, any DVD drive or DVD
burner will work.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. This is the model:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/picture_libra...ic_21946.jpg?4
454

--
Cheers

Peter
--
Cheers

Peter

Any standard sized IDE/PATA DVD ROM, Combo, or DVDRW drive will work
fine:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...sm/drives.htm#
1148988

Are you sure? That looks like the SFF, which I thought took a laptop
drive.

I'd have to open the case to be sure.

Old May 17th 08, 08:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

[...]

Should use any standard laptop drive. You might have to swap bezels,
but that's not too hard.

Old May 17th 08, 10:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

[...]

Looks like the desktop chassis to me (the mid-size between the SFF and
mini-tower). Certainly no harm in double-checking prior to purchase,
though.

Old May 17th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

[...]

Mini-tower:
http://www.bobjohnson.com/_Sitefiles...ages/GX260.jpg

Desktop:
http://www.ttrmn.com/Dell%20GX270%20(3).jpg (*note the relationship of the
floppy to the optical, the power button, and the "door"/opening for the
front I/O ports)

Small Form Factor:
http://www.teksale.com/images/dell%20optiplex%20sff.jpg (*compare with the
"desktop" model )

Old May 18th 08, 12:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Agree. The photo shows the "desktop" GX260 chassis, not SFF. Handled a lot of
these in the last few months, selling refurbs to upgrade an impoverished city
public library. It does take any vanilla standard-sized CD/DVD-ROM/RW drive.
The OP might do best with a so-called combo drive which reads DVDs, reads CDs,
and burns CDs. At today's prices, a DVD/RW is not out of the question either...
Ben Myers