Wild Reset

Old July 29th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mac

Default Wild Reset

I have a pretty basic home made computer. When I am in the internet (its
primary use), it has wild resets. As I am browsing, it resets by itself.
I think it happens when it refreshes a screen or open a new window... I am
starting to believe that I have a bad video card.
I have replaced a few parts to try to identify the problem, but I still
have wild resets.
The computer is:
MSI KT6V motherboard Socket A
Sempron 3300+ Socket A (I replaced from an Athlon 2100+)
MSI Nvidia AGP Video Card Gforce 2 MXMX 400 64 MB
Diablo Power Supply 550W (Replaced from a 300 W PS)
1 GIG DDR Memory (replaced from a 512 DDR)

It used to reset just as much with the old parts as well. I was going to
replace next the AGP video card.
The BIOS has an option to turn off the cpu if the processor overheats:
Disable.

Any thoughts....

Thanks,
mac

Old July 29th 06, 02:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Hill

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:46:02 GMT, "mac" wrote:

[...]

I doubt it is the video card. I'd put money on some sort of software
problem (If you have an old hd install windows on it and test) or a
bad mainboard. My last athlan board was an MSI and it got pretty
weird before I quit using it.

Old July 29th 06, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"mac" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Next time it resets, after it fires up again, check the system log. Control
panel, administrative tools, event viewer, system. Look for any errors
marked in red icon. If you see an error around the time of the reboot,
double-click it, then copy whatever information is there and post it back to
this ng.

But you might try setting your Internet explorer settings to default to see
if that helps. Tools, Internet Options, programs, reset web settings. Then
tools, internet options, advanced, restore defaults. Then close all windows
and reboot computer. Good luck, -Dave

Old July 29th 06, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mac

Thanks, I will post the error when it crashes.

I also re-installed all the default motherboard drivers from the MSI
motherboard drivers CD....

Let's see if it crashes again.

mac

"Dave" wrote in message
reenews.net...

.. .

Old July 30th 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

I found a weird hack that can reset some mobos. Check
this out. In Word, create an html file with one word in it.
Save it to the desktop, and name it %20% .. or just % %.
Go to it and delete the one word, and resave it. If you click
on that stinker on some mobos, the system will reset.
It was funny as hell for a while, but everybody learned
that just a mouse dragover of the same thing embedded
in a web page would reset your system, and it became
a nightmare. You may have one of those mobos, and
you will just have to be careful moving the mouse
around the page when browsing.

johns

Old July 31st 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mac

The blue screen says WIN32K.sys error...

After goggling the error, I reduced the speed of my ram from 400 Mhz (auto
mode for a PC 3200) to 333 Mhz. It seems more stable and hasn't crashed all
night so far...

Thanks,
mac

.. .