Hot CPU

Old August 2nd 03, 07:34 PM
corcat

Default Hot CPU

Thanks a lot for your reply. But since the comp is acting a little too slow
because the temp was over 85 deg celsius and climbing. And since the comp
quit on me due to high CPU temp. I might assume that temp got quite high for
the CPU to conked out. Just remember that heat builds up swiftly and
continues to go higher even when the CPU shuts off. It's an inertial lag.
I wonder if you had this experience yourself? At what temperature does the
CPU be damaged in some ways?

"Don_B" wrote in message
newsKSWa.33376$Oz4.10023@rwcrnsc54...
Your CPU is OK. 50 degrees celcius isn't out of the ball park. If you'd
damaged your CPU it would show up as failure to operate at all or possibly
repeated crashes.

"corcat" wrote in message
The other day I turned the comp on and it took a little longer to come

on.
Then, it warned me to: Press F1 to continue or Del to got to bios.
So I went to Bios and found that the the CPU temp was 85 deg Celsius and
climbing.
I took the comp out of service to give it a cleaning. I found out that

the
Blower on the CPU was full of dirt and it was stuck. So I could see why

the
CPU was running hot.
After cleaning everything with a soft brusk and vacuumed it. I hooked it

up
and it ran ok; the CPU temp stayed at 50 deg celsius.

May I ask if damage had been done to the CPU cashe, or any other

vulnerable
section of the CPU? Because now, it seems to take longer to find the
programs associated with the clicked-on icon.

Thanks a lot for any help.
Emanuel

---

---

Old August 3rd 03, 06:24 AM
Don_B

No, I haven't had this experience. It's still hard for me to believe that
damage
to a processor would simply make it slower.

Old August 3rd 03, 06:43 PM
El Phantazmo

Was your clockspeed throttled down by accident or by some default setting
that automatically declocks as the temperature increases?

Old August 4th 03, 01:00 PM
corcat

El Phantazmo wrote in message
. ca...
Was your clockspeed throttled down by accident or by some default setting
that automatically declocks as the temperature increases?

I do not know. But I did not mean to say that the Clocking on the CPU had
changed to a slower one.
I simply noticed that the computer was having a harder time looking for
programs locations, maybe due to a damaged internal cashe or something else
peripheral to the CPU registers, but within the CPU block.
I do not see why the external cashe would be hurt.

Thank for your reply
Emanuel