Old made in Japan 4x CD-Rs OK at 24x ?

Old September 2nd 05, 02:56 AM
larry moe 'n curly

Default Old made in Japan 4x CD-Rs OK at 24x ?

Is it normal for 5-year-old Taiyo Yuden and Ricoh CD-R disk rated for
4x to burn reliabily at 24x ?

Nero must have misread or ignored their maximum speed ratings and
burned them at 24x (drive is Acer/BenQ 48x16x48), but they verify fine
and are readable even in an ancient CD-ROM drive that has trouble with
some CD-Rs and all CD-RWs. This was even after I left them in a hot
car one day (170F). I don't think that Nero simply misreported the
speed because each disk took only about 3 mins. to burn.

Old September 2nd 05, 10:41 AM
bxf

Google for "gift horse" and "mouth"...

It's easy to make a decision when there are no options

Old September 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Is it normal for 5-year-old Taiyo Yuden and Ricoh CD-R disk rated for
4x to burn reliabily at 24x ?

No.

Nero must have misread or ignored their maximum speed ratings and
burned them at 24x (drive is Acer/BenQ 48x16x48), but they verify fine
and are readable even in an ancient CD-ROM drive that has trouble with
some CD-Rs and all CD-RWs.

Actually there is no speed rating for CD-R on the disk itself.
It is up to the user to tell the software to go slower. If the
drive knows the disk ist may also decide to go slower.
Entierly different story for CD-RW.

This was even after I left them in a hot
car one day (170F). I don't think that Nero simply misreported the
speed because each disk took only about 3 mins. to burn.

Give them a month or two, then try again. Still, this may
be a lucky match between burner, burner firmware and medium.

Arno
Old September 2nd 05, 06:51 PM
tod

It could be at the time the disks were made they were reliable at 24X.
But were marked and sold as 4X.

Or maybe they have had time to improve CD-Burners that they
can burn older disks faster.

ups.com...

Old September 2nd 05, 09:08 PM
Rod Speed

tod wrote

It could be at the time the disks were made they were reliable at 24X.
But were marked and sold as 4X.

Or they turned out to be only reliable at 4X on all
burners even tho some could burn them at 24X.

Or maybe they have had time to improve CD-Burners that they
can burn older disks faster.

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it normal for 5-year-old Taiyo Yuden and Ricoh CD-R disk rated for
4x to burn reliabily at 24x ?

Nero must have misread or ignored their maximum speed ratings and
burned them at 24x (drive is Acer/BenQ 48x16x48), but they verify
fine and are readable even in an ancient CD-ROM drive that has
trouble with some CD-Rs and all CD-RWs. This was even after I left
them in a hot car one day (170F). I don't think that Nero simply
misreported the speed because each disk took only about 3 mins. to
burn.

Fastest AT formfactor MB ever made? [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 7 January 25th 05 05:14 AM
Who made it? Me Nvidia Videocards 6 October 16th 04 07:56 AM
Are Apple Notebooks Made in the USA ? Eugene Dell Computers 198 September 22nd 04 10:11 AM
Far Cry patch 1.1 .. made lockups worse johns Ati Videocards 8 May 13th 04 09:42 AM
Made by ATI 9600 non pro cruelsister Ati Videocards 2 October 3rd 03 02:29 PM