CPU temps stable, then rising w/o load?

Old February 10th 05, 08:33 PM
JAD

a troll disagrees with you in one line nonsense.

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: CPU temps stable, then rising w/o load?
From: John Doe

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:15:19 GMT

Mxsmanic wrote:
S. Whitmore writes:

Nope, not going to XP.

XP, 2000, and NT all have the same kernel and code base,

That is false.

so switching to from one to another would make no difference in
this case.

That is wild speculation based on faulty information or at best
based on a half truth.

I'm not trying to sell Microsoft products. I'm simply trying to help
the user solve his problem. Please keep in mind I called the
suggestion about switching to Windows XP a "nuke style workaround".

In fact, Windows XP is a more modern operating system which handles
things better, whether or not you can cope with that idea. It was an
uneasy upgrade for me as well.

"John Doe" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
S. Whitmore writes:

Nope, not going to XP.

XP, 2000, and NT all have the same kernel and code base,

That is false.

so switching to from one to another would make no difference in
this case.

That is wild speculation based on faulty information or at best
based on a half truth.

I'm not trying to sell Microsoft products. I'm simply trying to help
the user solve his problem. Please keep in mind I called the
suggestion about switching to Windows XP a "nuke style workaround".

In fact, Windows XP is a more modern operating system which handles
things better, whether or not you can cope with that idea. It was an
uneasy upgrade for me as well.

newssvr11.news.prodigy.com!newscon03.news.prodigy. com!newsmst01a.news.prodig
y.com!prodigy.com!newscon06.news.prodigy.com!prodi gy.net!border1.nntp.dca.gi
ganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local1.nntp.dca.gigan ews.com!news.giganews.com.
POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mxsmanic
From: Mxsmanic mxsmanic @hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:45:02 +0100

j6FOd.16206$uc.1566@trnddc08
http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html

complaint properly

Old February 10th 05, 08:39 PM
Mxsmanic

Matt writes:

What is the typical behavior of BIOSes at idle?

A continuous loop, from what I've seen. Even if you do nothing in the
BIOS menus, the temperature of the processor will gradually rise as it
loops waiting for input.

I had a Biostar M7NCD Pro with Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton). I normally run
Linux, but I don't have a way to check CPU temp under Linux. But when
it was idling in Linux and I shut Linux down and went immediately
(without power down) into the health-status page of the BIOS, I would
see the temp rise in about twenty minutes from about 38 C to about 48 C.

So it seemed to run about 10 C hotter when idling in the BIOS than when
idling in Linux.

Linux halts the processor when the OS is idle. The BIOS doesn't.

Old February 10th 05, 08:39 PM
JAD

it seems to me that you have all the hardware angles covered, less the Hard
drive failure scenario. You never mentioned Antivirus. 2000 has its exploits
too. As your probably aware, there were many virus patterns that included a
warning then shut down and then some that just shut you down.

Your temps are fine IMO.

"S. Whitmore" wrote in message
I recently upgraded my system and now have a new AMD Athlon 64 3200+ on
a new ASUS K8V SE Deluxe mobo, with a new Enermax 470W "Noisetaker" PSU.

Ambient temps have been consistenly in the 65-75F range, and for the
couple of weeks I've had the new hardware running, the mobo and CPU
temps have been pretty consistently in the 75-85F range (depending on
load, of course, and lately I haven't been doing much as I also
reorganized my hard drives and I'm still getting things reinstalled and
reconfigured). Those temps are as reported by ASUS PC Probe, which I
have running all the time in the background (i.e., tooltray).

Tonight I got the unpleasant surprise of my system shutting down
suddenly. No warning, no error, no alarm or alert from PC Probe, no
gentle close -- just suddenly a dark screen, silence, and the monitor
shifting into sleep mode. I powered it up again and it ran for a short
time and then it shut down again, just as abruptly. Both times, the
Ethernet indicators were still lit on the mobo and the PSU was doing
it's post-shutdown cool-down (this PSU continues exhausting the case for
a couple minutes after shutdown).

My first "suspect" was a power problem, specifically with the UPS,
because another of the same type that I got in the same order from
newegg.com just went back w/ an RMA today. But it didn't really seem
right, so I did some looking online in various discussion groups. Most
pointed to either a PSU failure (possible) or a temp problem. I didn't
think it would be temp related because the system wasn't under any real
load and hadn't been on very long. The first time it happened, I was in
the middle of rebooting after changing my network configuration. The
second time it happened I was just reading a message in Mozilla mail.

Despite thinking it wasn't a temp problem, I decided it was easy to
check for that, so I booted the system and went right into the BIOS
Setup. Watched, and didn't like what I saw. The mobo temp stayed in
the same range it's been in, but the CPU was steadily climbing as I
watched. When it got to 110F (after about 3 or 4 minutes) I shut it
down, since I was already seeing what looked to me like bad behavior.
(I'm assuming sitting and watching the hardware monitor in the BIOS
Setup does not impose much of a CPU load -- am I wrong?)

After awhile, I decided to ask online, so I booted up to Windows 2000.
As I write this message, PC Probe is again saying that my CPU temp is in
the 75-85F range (at the moment, 28C/82F). So maybe the problem has
gone away for now, or maybe PC Probe isn't reporting temps correctly.

I would appreciate ideas and input on this abrupt shutdown problem
and/or the CPU temp behavior that I'm seeing.

TIA,

--
Stuart Whitmore , sans -bounce)
Science fiction, politics, pretty models, & mo

Old February 10th 05, 08:59 PM
Matt

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: John Doe

From: Mxsmanic
From: Mxsmanic mxsmanic @hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:45:02 +0100

j6FOd.16206$uc.1566@trnddc08

sv3-qVijxNYX4GdNN0+krugUcV3UB0ZtsG8jU/f8ZhcCNuBKeBzRlwbNPqVFg4G9/Z+byz3dD8eo
bx08Mze!wVbM08iTYGwdH4U+E9REQCcXucQkX3Px/f0+VjlUATATHfD6JFVDEWwAgiBftsojlA==

http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html

complaint properly

LOL
Old February 10th 05, 09:02 PM
Matt

Mxsmanic wrote:
Matt writes:

What is the typical behavior of BIOSes at idle?

A continuous loop, from what I've seen. Even if you do nothing in the
BIOS menus, the temperature of the processor will gradually rise as it
loops waiting for input.

I had a Biostar M7NCD Pro with Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton). I normally run
Linux, but I don't have a way to check CPU temp under Linux. But when
it was idling in Linux and I shut Linux down and went immediately
(without power down) into the health-status page of the BIOS, I would
see the temp rise in about twenty minutes from about 38 C to about 48 C.

So it seemed to run about 10 C hotter when idling in the BIOS than when
idling in Linux.

Linux halts the processor when the OS is idle. The BIOS doesn't.

Thanks. Presumably the main or only advantage of halting is to save energy.
Old February 10th 05, 09:23 PM
John Doe

A not quite grown-up perpetually top posting troll who cannot handle
being corrected for giving obviously bad advice to someone seeking
help from this group.

http://tinyurl.com/3lneg

From: "JAD"
From: "JAD" kapasitor @earthcharter.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:33:39 -0800

a troll disagrees with you in one line nonsense.

Old February 10th 05, 09:42 PM
S. Whitmore

David Maynard wrote:
(I'm assuming sitting and watching the hardware monitor in the BIOS
Setup does not impose much of a CPU load -- am I wrong?)

Yes, because the CPU does not go into any power saving or sleep modes
when in the BIOS like it does when the operating system is at idle;
which is most of the time if you're not doing anything intensive.

Ok, thanks -- this is the most salient point of this thread. So I will
continue looking at reasons other than a steadily rising "at-rest" CPU
temperature since that wasn't what I was seeing after all (i.e., it was
not "at rest").

The shutdown could be caused by a myriad of things. Check your event
logs, although your symptoms suggest it dies before an event could be
recorded.

Yeah, I haven't looked at the system logs yet but I doubt there's
anything there, it's too abrupt of a shutdown; also, the first shutdown
was before any OS was loaded, which would preclude any OS-related logs.
Given other things I've read online, the PSU is back to being my #1
suspect, although there are a couple other things I could see playing a
role.

Thanks,

Old February 10th 05, 09:52 PM
S. Whitmore

John Doe wrote:

Yes. As I recall, shutting down happens.
These days, saying "shut down Windows" can do it.

Not when Windows isn't running, i.e., when the system abruptly shuts
down before the OS is loaded.

I'm having trouble reading between the lines.

Your entire original post dwelled on the idea that it was CPU
overheating. Given the facts, I can't imagine a worse lead.

Sorry the logic of it is escaping you. First, understand that an
overheated CPU (at least, of the type relevant here, per my original
post) will shut down. I've never experienced that, so I don't know what
that will "look like" -- i.e., the system as a whole shutting down,
or...? Second, understand that I was accustomed to seeing my CPU temps
in a steady range when I looked at it after Windows 2000 was up and
running, using ASUS PC Probe, but when I was looking at it in the BIOS,
the temperature seemed to be rising steadily without my doing anything
-- and that I didn't realize at that time that the BIOS would keep the
CPU busy even when I wasn't doing anything.

So given the facts (as I understood them at the time) -- that an
overheated CPU will shut down and that the CPU is "mysteriously" heating
up when it "shouldn't" be -- I can't imagine why you can't imagine a
worse lead.

Now that I know there's no mystery in the rising CPU temperature, I'll
be looking at other factors. Probably the PSU, since it's highly
doubtful that it's related to Windows 2000, since the first shut-down
happened before Windows 2000 even started to load. (In my original post
I indicated that "[t]he first time it happened, I was in the middle of
rebooting after changing my network configuration" but I could have been
more clear by pointing out that the reboot process had not proceeded as
far as Windows 2000 starting to load.)

Old February 10th 05, 09:56 PM
S. Whitmore

Mxsmanic wrote:

But you left out the most important part: What OPERATING SYSTEM are you
running?

Sorry, I was not clear enough about a certain point in my original post.
When I said that "[t]he first time it happened, I was in the middle of
rebooting after changing my network configuration," I should have made
it clear that it was before any OS started to load. Thus, I was not
thinking about OS-specific causes, and only looking at the hardware.

FWIW, it's a dual boot system with Windows 2000 and GNU/Linux (Slackware
10). When it crashed, I'm fairly sure that I had not even seen the LILO
prompt. (Although, to be fair, I wasn't expecting this to happen so I
wasn't watching very closely -- however, I do recall seeing the ASUS
boot logo on the screen right before or as the system shut down.)

Thanks,

Old February 10th 05, 09:58 PM
John Doe

Mxsmanic wrote:
John Doe writes:

That is false.

I've read the source code.

Hey ya, Burt!

That is wild speculation based on faulty information or at best
based on a half truth.

See above.
Current Microsoft Windows operating systems are derived from the
Windows NT code base, because NT is very well written. The base
has evolved and differs somewhat from product to product, and there
are cosmetic and configuration differences, but under the hood they
are mostly the same, as careful examination of the operating
systems reveals.

I guess you could write volumes on the subject. Who knows.

Your dismissal of my suggestion to upgrade the operating system is
not based on the problem as described.

The original poster recently upgraded to a new mainboard and CPU.
Like it or not, new hardware potentially benefits from a more recent
operating system, probably/typically more than any other change in
circumstance. Windows XP produces fewer failures. Windows XP is the
current technology. Windows 2000 and Windows NT are aging.

From: Mxsmanic
From: Mxsmanic mxsmanic @hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:15:35 +0100