Boost your Windows boot times with Linux!

Old January 25th 04, 09:05 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Boost your Windows boot times with Linux!

http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/32674.html

Old January 25th 04, 01:58 PM
Some Hoser

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 09:05:19 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/32674.html

Wow.. I think this is quite possibly the most useless thing I've seen
so far in 2004! Kudos to InverVideo on this... umm.. accomplishment!

In case anyone missed it, this product does dick-all to reduce Windows
boot times. In fact, it will INCREASE the boot times. What it does
is install a mini-Linux distribution that boots up first. Then, if
actually wants to use Windows (instead of the apps included in the
mini-linux distro) they still have to boot up Windows.

To be fair, I might have given these people a bit more slack if they
had tried to advertise this for just what it is, ie a mini-linux
distro for home entertainment purposes. However, marketing it as a
method to boot Windows faster?! Now that's just plain wrong!

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old January 25th 04, 06:16 PM
Gnu_Raiz

wrote:

http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/32674.html

Wow.. I think this is quite possibly the most useless thing I've seen
so far in 2004! Kudos to InverVideo on this... umm.. accomplishment!

In case anyone missed it, this product does dick-all to reduce Windows
boot times. In fact, it will INCREASE the boot times. What it does
is install a mini-Linux distribution that boots up first. Then, if
actually wants to use Windows (instead of the apps included in the
mini-linux distro) they still have to boot up Windows.

To be fair, I might have given these people a bit more slack if they
had tried to advertise this for just what it is, ie a mini-linux
distro for home entertainment purposes. However, marketing it as a
method to boot Windows faster?! Now that's just plain wrong!

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

You got to admit its kind of funny, they use linux to claim to boot
windows faster? For the average Joe who knows nothing, this will give the
impression that Linux boots faster in general. I see this as a win win for
OSS, even as you point out it might be a little misleading.

Personally I have a PVR which is never turned off, How many people turn
off their cable boxes, or satellite receivers? So does it really make a
difference how long it takes to boot. Then again I also use my PVR to
crunch for RC5-72, when its not recording shows. So maybe I am a little
different user than most. Its also nice to watch the latest movie
trailers on the big TV screen.

Anyway I did get a kick out of it, brings some irony and a little humor to
everything.

Gnu_Raiz

Old January 25th 04, 09:18 PM
jack

snip
:
: Tony Hill
: hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

Heh heh, new alias Tony? LOL!

J.

--
--------
The end to "Personal Computing" as we know it is just around the corner.

Old January 25th 04, 11:08 PM
Tony Hill

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:18:37 +0100, "jack" wrote:
Some Hoser wrote:
snip
: distro for home entertainment purposes. However, marketing it as a
: method to boot Windows faster?! Now that's just plain wrong!
:
: Tony Hill
: hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

Heh heh, new alias Tony? LOL!

Yup, my semi-anonymous alias, that's not supposed to happen! (mainly
just semi-anonymous in that the e-mail address is totally
non-existant). I normally only use that alias to flame people :

Actually my main news server was down for most of the weekend, so I
was posting that through my ISPs news server. Unfortunately due to
the way that Agent handles multiple news servers (ie rather kludged) I
often end up with some half-baked settings when I do this.

Ohh well, main news server is back to life again.

-------------
Old January 25th 04, 11:10 PM
Yousuf Khan

"Some Hoser" wrote in message
To be fair, I might have given these people a bit more slack if they
had tried to advertise this for just what it is, ie a mini-linux
distro for home entertainment purposes. However, marketing it as a
method to boot Windows faster?! Now that's just plain wrong!

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

Tony, what happened to your name? :-)

I find this interesting in that it is a clever backdoor method to get Linux
acceptance at home. Instead of calling Linux a competing OS, call it a boot
loader for Windows. So people get used to using the boot loader, eventually
they may not need the original OS it was supposed to load.

Yousuf Khan

Old January 26th 04, 08:05 PM
Tony Hill

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:10:54 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:
"Some Hoser" wrote in message
.. .
To be fair, I might have given these people a bit more slack if they
had tried to advertise this for just what it is, ie a mini-linux
distro for home entertainment purposes. However, marketing it as a
method to boot Windows faster?! Now that's just plain wrong!

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

Tony, what happened to your name? :-)

Hehe, as I mentioned in my reply to Jack, that's my semi-anonymous
alias that I usually only use for flaming people : Of course, the
fact that my regular signature was included with the anonymous alias
makes it somewhat less anonymous than it might be :

Should be fixed now, though my commercial news server is on the fritz
again, I think it's getting high-time for me to dump 1Usenet.com,
their server has been very spotty in the past month or two.

I find this interesting in that it is a clever backdoor method to get Linux
acceptance at home. Instead of calling Linux a competing OS, call it a boot
loader for Windows. So people get used to using the boot loader, eventually
they may not need the original OS it was supposed to load.

Still sounds like a load of marketing BS to me, and I don't know that
it's necessarily a good thing for Linux. It seems to me that it gives
the impression of Linux being a very limited-function system that you
can only use for very basic tasks, but if you want to use any new or
advanced features you need to load up Windows.

Bleah! Someone shoot the marketdroid that came up with this for me
please!

Old January 27th 04, 01:14 AM
Yousuf Khan

"Tony Hill" wrote in message
Still sounds like a load of marketing BS to me, and I don't know that
it's necessarily a good thing for Linux. It seems to me that it gives
the impression of Linux being a very limited-function system that you
can only use for very basic tasks, but if you want to use any new or
advanced features you need to load up Windows.

Bleah! Someone shoot the marketdroid that came up with this for me
please!

I got the feeling that it was a very clever ploy to get people used to
Linux, and get them prepared for a possible introduction of a Linux based
Media Centre PC in the future. You buy a WinXP based Media Centre PC
certified and all by Microsoft, and they sneak in a Linux OS underneath
Microsoft's nose. Of course, I also get the feeling that if they did
something like this, Microsoft would instantly remove all Media Centre
certifications quicker than a wisp.

Yousuf Khan

Old January 27th 04, 03:13 PM
Nero Tony