Goodbye Dell, Hello IBM or Toshiba?

Old November 18th 03, 05:48 PM
Giganews

Default Goodbye Dell, Hello IBM or Toshiba?

With repost of my negative experience with Dell at bottom, I'll also copy
and comment on some interesting and constructive comments from folks in
these newsgroups:

- Basic warranties last only as long as manufacturers expect machines to
last.

Perhaps so, but having both the motherboard and screen fail on my Dell
within three years, warranty or not, I will take my chances elsewhere from
now on. (merely doing without machine for weeks at a time, regardless of $
cost, is a problem).

- Invest more to start with and go with IBM.

I think I will do this. As mentioned, even if warranty and repairs go well,
breakdowns like with my Dell laptop are too expensive in non monetary ways.

- Warranty on replaced parts are a year, and therefore my replaced parts
should be under warranty even though basic warranty expired.

Doesn't seem to be the case. Basic warranty period seems to override all
others.

- Ranting in NGs is a waste of bandwidth.

On the contrary, I think it is a good exercise of consumer rights and
responsibilities. It could even affect consumer experiences in future (as
result of their having more information, or as result however unlikely of
Dell taking notice.)

- Recommendations for Dell alternatives have included IBM, Toshiba, and
Gateway.

I'll look into all and as mentioned above, now put priority on quality and
longevity of machine, regardless of warranty options.

- With complications caused by my service (unnecessarily replacing
motherboard which failed 6 mos later), Dell should at least have offered to
split the difference with cost of new motherboard.

They did not despite repeated requests for some consideration. The merely
copied and pasted repeatedly in emails that it would cost me $699 for
motherboard and $269 for out-of-warranty repair.

I work on the twelfth floor and wish windows opened so I could get at least
some amusement out of my dead and not-worth-repairing Dell laptop.

- Dell support for businesses is far better than for home/individual.

I hope so.

Goodbye Dell.

-------------------------

My "Last" Dell experience:

After purchasing two Inspiron laptops from Dell, I had a problem with screen
banding this April, just months before warranty expired. The Dell
serviceman said the screen was failing, and ordered a new one from Dell.
The box they shipped had a motherboard instead of the screen. He installed
the mb anyway just to see if by some chance it would remedy the screen
problem, which it didn't. He then reordered the screen and when it finally
arrived, he replaced that, leaving the "new" mb in place and saying that
after all my problems and waiting, I could now have "a whole new machine."
(He apparently reported that the mb was part of the remedy rather than go
through process of returning it. I don't want to give his name because he
thought he was doing the right thing)

Six months later the "new" mb failed, and the machine's warranty expired in
the meantime. Now Dell informs me it can only replace the mb for the "out
of warranty" cost of about $1000 (part and labor). I've plead my case that
the mb that failed was not the original, and had been replaced
unnecessarily, and clearly the "new" one I got was either very used or
faulty.

So Dell replaces the guts of the machine unnecessarily and when it fails six
months later, I either pay a $grand or toss the machine. Hey, "Easy as
Dell"

But I do have the pleasure since the thing died of an email folder full of
"apologies for inconvenience" and repeated terms and cost of out-of-warranty
replacement. Couriers of that incessant message included Branden /
DTC22261, Syed / DTC24129, Syed / DTC24129, Kevin / DTC22203, and Paul /
DTO0325671. I even said I'd complain publically if they didn't give some
satisfaction, to which the reply was, "Apologies for........ but I can't
help you on this matter." Actually followed by "Have a great day!"

So left holding a dead machine that I don't think I should have to replace,
I now have to replace it. Any non-DELL laptop recommendations?

And any Dell lurkers out there, feel free to review this disappointing
odyssey, of course including " the following line in all replies. Tracking
number: AT20030222_0000005327.

Apologies in advance, but I am going to repost this until I either get some
satisfaction from Dell, or feel I've done my duty as a wronged consumer.

Signed,
One ****ed-off and ex Dell customer.

Old November 18th 03, 06:08 PM
Jerry Park

[Long post snipped].

Choose whatever you like. I've found Dell systems to be generally
reliable and service to be appropriate.

Before I purchased my Dell Inspiron, I bought a Toshiba laptop. After
constant problems (the time the system was being repaired exceeded the
time I had the system), three motherboard replacements and it still
didn't work, Toshiba refunded the purchase price. Took six months of
sending it back for repairs to reach the refund point.

Bought the Dell Inspiron last December. No problems. Very pleased with
the system.

Old November 18th 03, 07:28 PM
Psychomation

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:48:59 -0500, Giganews wrote:

- Ranting in NGs is a waste of bandwidth.

On the contrary, I think it is a good exercise of consumer rights and
responsibilities. It could even affect consumer experiences in future (as
result of their having more information, or as result however unlikely of
Dell taking notice.)

I'm with you on that. Of course there are many people who are happy with
any brand (of any consumer or business item) and others who are not happy
with same. However, a detailed report relating how you have been treated is
important and if made in a public newsgroup it will live on in Google and
come up in searches. Don't forget to fill in PC Magazines (or whatever) mfr
survey. IIRC, Dell's score has been going down for the last few years.

I was poorly treated once at a hotel owned by a chain. I wrote a detailed
letter. Some cust relations rep called me in Europe and had a cheque for
the value of one day sent to me which we received in a timely manner along
with a 30% discount coupon for future stays.

A company that has a good reputation for service cane asily become "they
used to be good..." at any time. When this happens, it's best everyone
knows about it. It's just possible, someone from middle management will be
fired and someone else will get a job trying to repair the broken chain of
customer relations.

There is NO valid excuse for poor customer treatment. None. No reason to
tolerate it, either.
Old November 18th 03, 07:40 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Psychomation wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:48:59 -0500, Giganews wrote:

- Ranting in NGs is a waste of bandwidth.

On the contrary, I think it is a good exercise of consumer rights and
responsibilities. It could even affect consumer experiences in future (as
result of their having more information, or as result however unlikely of
Dell taking notice.)

I'm with you on that. Of course there are many people who are happy with
any brand (of any consumer or business item) and others who are not happy
with same. However, a detailed report relating how you have been treated is
important and if made in a public newsgroup it will live on in Google and
come up in searches.

*However*, Giganews is not happy with just putting /one/ detailed
report on the record, as he has demonstrated with this post. He is
carrying through his threat:

"Apologies in advance, but I am going to repost this until I either
get some satisfaction from Dell, or feel I've done my duty as a
wronged consumer."

made in his original "detailed report" of his problems.

There is NO valid excuse for poor customer treatment. None. No reason to
tolerate it, either.

There is NO valid excuse for abusing a.s.-c.d with repeated rants.
None. No reason to tolerate it, either.

Giganews has been put in the twit filter, as has his original thread.
This thread will join it tomorrow, after you've had a chance to
respond.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old November 18th 03, 08:07 PM
skids

repost all you want. you aren't going to get satisfaction from dell and you
are now in my killfile.

$

Old November 18th 03, 08:42 PM
John Harlow

With repost of my negative experience with Dell at bottom, I'll also copy
and comment on some interesting and constructive comments from folks in
these newsgroups:

Thanks for doing all this. I was looking at Dells but this helps my
decision to go with something else.
I considered the Sony but I'm concerned about their proprietary way of doing
things.

Also considered was the HPaq. The high friction silver touchpad they use on
some models is annoying.

I am honing in on the IBM T41P. It's a little expensive, but has excellent
specs and a good warranty, and spares will likely be around for awhile. You
get what you pay for.

Old November 18th 03, 09:27 PM
gorf

"Giganews" wrote in message
With repost of my negative experience with Dell at bottom, I'll also copy
and comment on some interesting and constructive comments from folks in
these newsgroups:

Had a Toshiba Satellite a few years back, it died 1 year and 2 weeks after I
bought it, just after the warranty expired. I had reason to believe it was
the system board that died. I couldn't even find replacement parts from any
reputable dealers, much less from Toshiba itself. I found the board at 2
dealers nationwide, both of which were charging around $1000. I was SOL for
about $2K. The only good thing was it prompted me to build my own machine
because I no longer trusted manufacturers... I learned alot.

Anyway, my experiences with IBM, Toshiba, and Dell have led me to rank them
generally as follows...

Dell: Excellent product, Excellent service for those in large organizations
(consumer service is less helpful)

IBM: Excellent product, quality of service unknown (the two I have
experience with haven't had issues)

Toshiba: questionable product, questionable service

--
gorf

Old November 18th 03, 09:40 PM
Tim Miser

So if you go to the IBM and/or Toshiba newsgroups and see a few negative
posts(and you will), what will you do then?

-Tim

Old November 18th 03, 10:13 PM
Alex Quant

"gorf" wrote in message

[..]

Anyway, my experiences with IBM, Toshiba, and Dell have led me to rank

them
generally as follows...

Dell: Excellent product, Excellent service for those in large

organizations
(consumer service is less helpful)

IBM: Excellent product, quality of service unknown (the two I have
experience with haven't had issues)

Interesting that you rate your reliable IBMs 2nd place, and the Dells that
have had to use service, for whatever reason, 1st place? Surely a machine
that is so reliable it doesn't need attention is better that a machine that
does? Maybe I'm nit picking

From what I've heard and read, IBM's service is generally very good.

Toshiba: questionable product, questionable service

If you buy a Satellite, then don't be surprised about the lack of quality -
they really are only built to last reliably for a year, hence the small
warranty. The Tecra range is made with much better quality components and is
protected for 3 years, but then you have to pay for that.

I've owned a lowly Satellite and it was obvious, compared to a Tecra, it was
inferior in build quality - almost terrible. If you are expecting a good
spec for a low price then quality has to lose out. I had more issues with a
3 month old Satellite than I did with a 3 year-old Tecra. Service in the UK
was terrible for the Satellite and good for the Tecra!!

Compaq (now HP) were excellent when it came to replacing an Armada M700's
iffy screen for free with only 2 months of its 3 year warranty left.
Turnaround was 3 days.

AlexQ.

~ Reply-to valid ~

Old November 18th 03, 10:35 PM
Herbert Feuerbach

Alex Quant schrieb:
I've owned a lowly Satellite and it was obvious, compared to a Tecra, it was
inferior in build quality - almost terrible. If you are expecting a good
spec for a low price then quality has to lose out.

Some time ago I had a Satellite Pro for some administrative work. It was
not too obviously poor built, but I disliked it anyway. Very bulky, and
an uncomfortable silver plastic finish.
One good think to mention were the speakers though.