KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue

Old December 19th 07, 02:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_8_]

Default KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue

This was posted in microsoft.public.windowsupdate today.

Rich

[Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]

The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:

The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative Security
Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
QP
We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
(942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to share
with you regarding the results of our investigation into these reports...
/QP
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx

New KB article:

IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that is
running Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
(Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old December 19th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_8_]

So after reading my post about SP3 and the one with known issues with
KB942615 I wonder if the pre-release SP3 fixed the problems in KB952615?

Rich

Old December 19th 07, 08:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
(942615), released earlier this month.

Pity they missed out "we recommend you install an alternative browser
to figure out how we broke ours"
Old December 20th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
(942615), released earlier this month.

Pity they missed out "we recommend you install an alternative browser
to figure out how we broke ours"

Which is essentially what they posted in the KB for the Office 2007 install
that breaks the spell checker in Outlook Express.

"We broke it. We know we broke it. We know how we broke it. We're not going
to fix it. Please download and install a third-party spell-checker
here....."

Old December 21st 07, 09:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

a update to ie6 was released today(?) that purports to fix the problem with
ie6 crashing after the last ie6 update...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

Do you need IE to be working to download it though ? :-}
Old December 21st 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
a update to ie6 was released today(?) that purports to fix the problem
with
ie6 crashing after the last ie6 update...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

Do you need IE to be working to download it though ? :-}

That would be, "yes". heh

Old December 21st 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

"Colin Wilson" o.uk
wrote in message t...
a update to ie6 was released today(?) that purports to fix the problem
with
ie6 crashing after the last ie6 update...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

Do you need IE to be working to download it though ? :-}

That would be, "yes". heh

the problem solves an intermittent issue with ie that was the result of a
prior patch. i don't know of anyone that had ie completely stop working,
just that ie would randomly crash and yet work on the same site that it
failed on when tried again. this update appeared as an automatic update
that wasn't pushed out on 'patch tuesday'... so they seem to have
acknowledged their blunder by providing a patch for it relatively quickly.
not that you can really feel good about the fact that they produced a patch
that screwed up otherwise working products in the first place... i wonder
how many people ended up 'upgrading' to ie7 (their intention?) because of
this, and how many people just installed firefox.