Wires from power switch broke; can't turn on computer, HELP

Old December 10th 05, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Wires from power switch broke; can't turn on computer, HELP

Here are 3 pics of my problem. The two wires connected to my power switch
came off. I have no way to reconnect them. Now I cannot turn on my comp. Is
there anything I can do? See the pics below.

http://tinypic.com/ieghp5.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ieghtl.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ieghv4.jpg

Old December 10th 05, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Wilson wrote:
Here are 3 pics of my problem. The two wires connected to my power switch
came off. I have no way to reconnect them. Now I cannot turn on my comp. Is
there anything I can do? See the pics below.

http://tinypic.com/ieghp5.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ieghtl.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ieghv4.jpg

Hooking any MOMENTARY CONTACT switch between those two wires will power
up your computer. Or, you could just connect the wires together for a
second or so until the computer powers up.

All that switch does is connect - temporarily - two contacts on the
motherboard to give the power supply a signal to turn on. (Completely
on - ATX power supplies provide a small signal current any time they are
plugged in)

Assuming you don't use your reset button often, you can use that to
power your computer. Just hook it up to the motherboard where the power
switch was hooked up.

--
"Outback" Jon - KC2BNE

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.18 GHz and 3.5GHz of other AMD power...
http://folding.stanford.edu - got folding? Team 33432
http://www.teammft.com - got a clan? Misfit Toys

1980 CB750F SuperSport "CoolerKing" (until it tells me it's name)
Old December 10th 05, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

""Outback" Jon" wrote in message
Assuming you don't use your reset button often, you can use that to
power your computer. Just hook it up to the motherboard where the power
switch was hooked up.

Yes, that worked. I don't know why I did not think about that. I am using my
reset switch now and have no power button. I have two wires poking out that
used to go to the power button. I wonder if there is anything I can buy to
make a power switch again by connecting it back to those 2 wires?

Old December 10th 05, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Can't I get a new switch for my Asus MOBO from Asus or some other outlet?

I got the comp back on, and that was the emergency, but now I need to get my
power switch back if it is easy to do so.

Old December 10th 05, 07:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

It seems to me that the switch has nothing to do with the motherboard maker.
It belongs to the computer case.

Anyone with a soldering iron should be able to fix your power switch

Old December 10th 05, 08:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Assuming you don't use your reset button often, you can use that to
power your computer. Just hook it up to the motherboard where the power
switch was hooked up.

Yes, that worked. I don't know why I did not think about that. I am using
my reset switch now and have no power button. I have two wires poking out
that used to go to the power button. I wonder if there is anything I can
buy to make a power switch again by connecting it back to those 2 wires?

Replacements are available, but seem costly (to me anyway)
http://tinyurl.com/czrkx on Ebay.

If you know how (or know someone who does), you can probably pick up a
switch at Radio Shack or somewhere similar and just solder it in place.

Old December 10th 05, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Anyone with a soldering iron should be able to fix your power switch

I thought nobody would get around to thinking of the obvious quick and easy
repair.