Why is side left and subwoofer swapped for 7.1 in windows 7 ? BUG BUG !!!

Old January 5th 19, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Why is side left and subwoofer swapped for 7.1 in windows 7 ? BUG BUG !!!

I connected pretty much everything as described he

https://www.creative.com/oem/resourc...rds/sb046x.pdf

And all connections connected to the proper inputs on the denon receiver 1909.

I am not sure about the subwoofer/side left connections.

There are two configurations possibly.

1: Subwoofer sound goes to SIDE LEFT.

2: Swapping them: No sound.

The subwoofer is missing though, perhaps the denon receiver detects this ?

But it's more likely a weird situation in windows 7.

"Configure Speakers"

Instead of simply asking the user what kind of system is connected.

It does something stupid like:

Large speakers/subwoofer present yes/no

Depending on the answers giving windows re-assigns the outputs/jacks etc.

This is driving me crazy.

Or it could simply be a bug in windows 7/audio stack or creative drivers.

Somehow the left side and subwoofer channel is swapped ?!

Unless goldwave is buggy or a test file is buggy.

I will upload test file so anybody out there with a 7.1 surround sound system connect to windows 7 can test it out if you like too.

Or at least check if file is correct.

I have a 7.0 surround sound setup ?! So how the **** should I setup these ****ty speakers in windows 7 ?!

If I tell windows the subwoofer is missing... then it will play the subwoofer sound via something else it seems... which is very weird.

Basically I hate this speaker configuration bull**** in windows 7, it's super ****ing weird.

HERE IS MY QUESTION:

How to re-assign speaker outputs without THX setup console ?!?!?!?!?

IS there perhaps a registry hack for creative tech or windows 7 ?!?

So I don't have to install this thx setup console ?! I can do that... but still... shouldn't be necessary.

Perhaps need to use 7 channel file or so ? Or disable subwoofer channel... don't think this is necessary though... hmm weird.

Test file is he

Folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/Media/Sounds/...round%20Sound/

Direct link to test file:

http://www.skybuck.org/Media/Sounds/...Channel_ID.wav

Seems like somebody at microsoft/creative did some really sloppy testing and ****ed things up...

Or my denon receiver swaps channels on detection basis or something... or maybe I should disable subwoofer on it...

Very strange.

When subwoofer was disabled swapping left side/subwoofer connections didn't even help... the signal would still be played on other speakers... but that is probably misconfiguration by windows... it re-channels subwoofer to front speakers.

Currently configuration is:

All optional speakers checked v

Full range speakers checked v

Result is: Left side/subwoofer channels swapped or no sound at all if connections swapped.

I will try one more setting:

Currently configuration is:

All optional speakers checked v

Full range speakers unchecked.

Same result.

I know pretty much 100% sure some strange bug is now in windows simply because I disconnect front left/front right and rear left, rear right and side right cables (two of them).

So only 1 cable is connected which should be producing center, side left and subwoofer...

But clearly side left and subwoofer are swapped on speakers ? WTF ?!

There is no subwoofer connected.

The LFE channel is playing through the SIDE LEFT ?!

WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ?!

Perhaps bug in creative labs audio driver ?!?!?!?!?!

SIGH.

All creative labs drivers were removed and only a fresh web release installed !

This is default configuration !

I will try one more test:

subwoofer disabled in speaker configuration in windows 7:

NO SOUND.

I ll try swapping cables see if that matters.

NO SOUND.

One last thing I could try is not connect one of them

Re-enabling subwoofer

Only side left connected

Anyway I am done with testing...

It's pretty clear to me that somebody ****ed this up in the driver settings or in windows.

IT'S A ****ING BUG SOMEWHERE/WRONG SETTING.

****ING IDIOTS.

TEST PROPERLY !

Also way to many configuration possibilities/options reassignments in all of these softwares.

Keep things simple oh well.

I would not be surprised if there is a registry entry somewhere already searching for it. "Creative Tech" might turn up something.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 5th 19, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I did come across audio objects in the registry editor so perhaps a configuration issue is there.

However I also come across some more interesting things:

A guy claiming that this tool might could be used to swap audio channels via a text file... I think this tool probably installs some driver/filter... doesn't work for asio and other more direct sound apis but it might help some out the

The software in general seems kind interesting... apperently it can do some effects or channel mixing or something not sure exactly what this is yet:

1. equalizer apo

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

2. Description from Microsoft:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...t-architecture

For now I will first try to get as much of creative x-fi software working by carefully installing via web release and then updating from that as much as possible and only install missing components from original cd/nero image.

I am starting to wonder if maybe the nero image has bit errors.

Or if the installation program has a race condition where installing from harddrive happens to fast... because dvd/cd was much slower.

So this might be a problem with deamon tools... it does not slow down the harddisk enough to make a true virtual cd/dvd drive behave the same as a real one.

Bye for now,
skybuck.
Old January 5th 19, 09:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
I connected pretty much everything as described he

https://www.creative.com/oem/resourc...rds/sb046x.pdf

And all connections connected to the proper inputs on the denon receiver 1909.

I am not sure about the subwoofer/side left connections.

There are two configurations possibly.

1: Subwoofer sound goes to SIDE LEFT.

2: Swapping them: No sound.

The subwoofer is missing though, perhaps the denon receiver detects this ?

But it's more likely a weird situation in windows 7.

https://documentation.help/Creative-...umentation.pdf

PDF 83 of 93.

7.1 setup, two of the Lineout connectors have a total of *four* contacts.
This requires adapter cables when connected to "ordinary" equipment.

The adapter cable has Gray and Orange on one end, and *three* stereo
females on the other end of the cable assembly.

LineOut1 Green Tip Front Left === Ordinary 1/8" cabling
Ring Front Right
Sleeve Ground

Lineout2 Gray T Rear Left === Special 1/8" TRRS
R Rear Right
R Ground
S Side Right

Lineout3 Orange T Center === Special 1/8" TRRS
R Subwoofer
R Ground
S Side left

No, they don't give a part number.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130627...udio_cable.jpg

If you're preparing home-brew cabling using bits and
pieces, you at least need to buy yourself a couple
TRRS adapters. You need the male with the four contact
surfaces on it. The rest of the materials will be easier
to locate.

https://www.ebay.com/p/3x-3-5mm-TRRS...d=272847465466

If you go to stereo or computer stores, they're not going to
have the exact cable. It's a cable you cannot afford to lose,
as there are so few four-contact plugs around. (Yes, you can
get them from China, but not so easy to get in your own
country at a store.)

The part with the screws on the end, only accepts a
small gauge of wire. I have an adapter with that
screw type on one end, and it isn't that nice to work
with. Having screw terminations means no soldering
is required, but the wires will not be held all that
securely. If you tighten the screw too much, you
can weaken or snap the stripped wire end.

This is the way I would prefer to make the adapters, with
a "1/8th inch soldertail TRRS". When soldering these, you cannot
apply heat for very long (various plastic bits will melt
and deform and stuff will be shorted electrically). I might
reflow some small gauge solid wire to these or something.
It takes practice to not damage these. I made a real mess
of one once, on my first try :-)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-TRRS-3...e/163264363750

You can do the job entirely without solder, using screws and
wires. But it's not really all that much fun. Just finding
solid wire is a challenge. The electronics store doesn't
actually have "good" nickel plated wire any more. That disappeared
about 30 years ago. Only ****ty copper wire with no plated
conductors for easy usage. Stranded wire won't work well
underneath those screws. You'd have to "tin" the wires
to make a surface to screw onto.

I'm not sure the "mis-connections" possible with those
jacks, account for your channel mixup. But it's a common
complaint with Creative stuff. You *have* to be careful!!!

As soon as you say "Creative", I think back to those
stinking cables and what a nuisance they are.

Paul
Old January 5th 19, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I just installed as follows:

1. Drivers for windows 10 from web release onto windows 7 working fine.

2. Everything that cannot be done by auto uodate from installation cd/nero:

result: crashing console launcher.

But what is even more interesting/funny is that creative's x-fi connection wizard shows something weird at line out 3 jack:

front center
rear center ?!

WTF there is normally no rear center ?!

So apperently creative labs is assuming that that connection is ment for REAR CENTER...

MORONS apperently.

It's absolutely 100% ment for left channel.

So there own connection wizard is kinda ****ed ?! HUH ?!

And this is from long ago... I guess this connection wizard is too old... but besides from that seems to work fine.

WEIRD OR WHAT.

I have no idea why console launcher keeps crashing... some have report this on vista or windows 8 as well.

I am going to try and run it into some kind of compatibility mode... maybe that will help.

Or perhaps running the setup as admin rights... maybe that will help not sure...

Probably not... but didn't think of it when I tried to install..

Everything seems to install just fine... so no idea why console launcher is still crashing..

It's annoying I did try a short debug session with visual studio 2010...

and it showed a access violation read from address 0.

What is also strange is that while I was experimenting and restarting the system... adobe acrobat reader dc had the nerf to install it self too ?!

****ing piece of **** interferred with my installation without even notifieing me.

It's been removed from my system for now... but perhaps adobe has something to do with the misery right now... it's possible.

Windows is a multi-threading/multi-tasking system but it cannot handle multiple installs at the same time... it completely ****s it up with very weird results as a result.

Also I disabled the creative x-fi device in device manager just to make sure windows doesn't try to automaticall install a driver while another manual driver installation is in progress.

Clearly windows was designed in a very bad way when it comes to installing software and it is completely unaware of multiple installs happening at the same time.
^
This SUXX BALLS immensely.

It could be the primary reason why so many installation problems occur.

When this installation CD was designed windows 7 didn't even exist yet... and perhaps this behaviour was unknown by the installation cd designers.

I would love to try a bit by bit comparison of files on cd vs image... just to be sure there aint no big errors on it..

But not gonna hassle with equipping a decent dvd drive for now...

Also I can't take the aggrevation right now if I find out that either the image was not perfect... or deamon tools has some ****ing bug... causing slight image corruption when installing from it.

Can't deal with that right now... already seen too many bugs... there is only so much I can take right now when it comes to FAILS =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 5th 19, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 9:06:54 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Why would it be necessary to use special cables ?

The grounds do seem a bit alarming:

https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/3-5m...-meter?lang=en

But from the looks of it there are at the same cylinders.

Cables like these in the picture above should be fine ?

The only cable which is weird looking is:

4/5/6 on that page 83.

Perhaps using a cable as the kiwi above might cause some kind of ground issue ?

Hmmm...

I will pull it out and repeat the max volume noise test to see if that might be causing the noise on the receiver.

Though keep in mind in the store where I was the tested receiver also produced noise on max volume... so it seems to be normal.

The peep does seem to get a little bit louder when that weirder jack is connected.

But this could just be additional slight signal flow to receiver.

But perhaps you are on to something ?!

But you would have to clearly explain to me why special cables would be necessary and not just the "normal" ones above...

That split these 4 cylinders into 3 rca outs ?!?

I could try and purchase that special creative labs cable... not sure if it would be long enough... and also not sure if it would make any difference... so far I am not terribly convinced... maybe a little bit...

That one ground signal might actually be entering on of the RCA cables.

But the funny thing is... it's not connected to the receiver.

Front Left, Front Right, and Ground.

The ground RCA is simply not connected.

So again I don't think this is a problem at all.. though connecting it might be a bit risky... I did so today... but nothing bad seem to happen

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 5th 19, 10:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

https://documentation.help/Creative-...umentation.pdf

PDF 83 of 93.

7.1 setup, two of the Lineout connectors have a total of *four* contacts.
This requires adapter cables when connected to "ordinary" equipment.

The adapter cable has Gray and Orange on one end, and *three* stereo
females on the other end of the cable assembly.

LineOut1 Green Tip Front Left === Ordinary 1/8" cabling
Ring Front Right
Sleeve Ground

Lineout2 Gray T Rear Left === Special 1/8" TRRS
R Rear Right
R Ground
S Side Right

Lineout3 Orange T Center === Special 1/8" TRRS
R Subwoofer
R Ground
S Side left

I googled TRRS, not familiar with this it turns up this site which is interesting:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/u...d-audio-jacks/

No, they don't give a part number.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130627...udio_cable.jpg

So are you saying these cables of creative labs are slightly different than standard TRRS cables...

Cause you did use the word "special" and such...

Though the ordinary one actually seems different... from the page 83...

I still have the original cable that went into the gigaworks so could compare with that... but probably already did in the past but might do so again.

But anyway the cables I currently have are working ok, to some degree at least.

Also it doesn't make any sense... cause 7 8 9 10 is working perfectly and 11 12 13 14 is working incorrectly.

Also 4, 5, 6 is working correctly.

Tested this with goldwave.

So if you believe lineout 2 and lineout 3 in your drawing are exactly the same kind of "special trrs" then you have to agree with me that this is simply not the problem since one is working correctly and the other one is not working correctly.

This I hope you now believe me a little bit more when I say it's a bug in the driver or a bug in windows... or a very strange bug in denon receiver.

(
If you disagree I would love to hear your hypothesis why lineout 2 is working correctly and lineout 3 is not working correctly with current trrs cables ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!?!?!?
)

The speaker connection wizard of creative x-fi of original cd is further proof that somehow creative is messing out this third connection on lineout 3.

It is described in the wizard as "rear center" instead of "side left".

So how you explain that ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-TRRS-3...e/163264363750

???? why is this needed ? These cables already exist ? Just to make your own ? hmmm..

I'm not sure the "mis-connections" possible with those
jacks, account for your channel mixup. But it's a common
complaint with Creative stuff. You *have* to be careful!!!

As soon as you say "Creative", I think back to those
stinking cables and what a nuisance they are.

I don't think it's a problem with the cables themselfes...

It's a bug somewhere... not the cables... =D

Also thx setup will eventually be able to correct it.

Unless somehow internally these connectors re-wire stuff in a weird way.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old January 5th 19, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

What I can do however is go into my virtual disk of operating system windows xp.

Drivers are probably installed there and then I can compare those executables to current executables bit by bit.

Though the old operating system was subjected to bit error rot in memory chips but only for new files and moved/copied files.

This could also be why running defrag continously is a bad idea in case of memory rott...

Fortunately windows xp did not auto-defrag... but windows 7 does !

I may report back with my findings of compatibility mode and comparision to older files.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old January 5th 19, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

****ing annoying for some reason thx setup console is not working correctly.

Everything is coming from the FRONT ARGH !

I am starting to regret this spdif optical experiment a little bit.

Most of the stuff was working correctly before it and now somehow it's all gone to hell..

I think this must be some weird electrical or hardware issue or something... or something really strange is going on with these driver installments and so forth...

Get understand what the **** is going on.

WINDOWS YOU SUCK :PPPPP*******************

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old January 6th 19, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

The definition could change according to the channel definition.

I'm not going to try to debug your setup at this distance.

You should know that some sound cards have a "swap center/sub"
tick box and that will change the center and subwoofer contacts.
This helps when a stereo system has center and subwoofer "mis-wired".

There is one other swapping tick box I forget, but it's less
common than the tick box for changing center with subwoofer.

So in addition to the basic signal assignments, there can be
one, or in rare cases, two tick boxes that modify the signal
assignments. These tick boxes exist, so yet more adapters
are not needed to correct the wiring.

The four contact connector type allows Creative to put
7.1 channels on just three jacks. Versus the more logical
assignment of 7.1 channels on four jacks. And this makes it
easier to make a low profile card version of some of the
cards. But I don't approve of the practice, because
hardly any customer finds out about the issue until they've
had trouble. And that's not a good way to make products.

If you go to the computer store, some of the older staff will
be familiar with this issue. They won't have the cable assembly
for sale, to convert to four 1/8" TRS connectors, but at least
someone at the store will have heard of it. I'm surprised I
can't see a part number in Google right now.

And the purpose of the conversion cable, is so you can "pick up"
the Side Left and Side Right signals. And those are to be placed
on their own 1/8" connection of some sort. But the other reason
for using the cable, is to make sure a TRS plug isn't touching
the wrong contacts on the TRRS jack.

I have a product with a male 1/8" TRRS on the end, and I had to make
a mess of it, to connect it to my equipment here. I had to make
a home brew adapter. The microphone has a conventional electret
as well as an amplifier chip. And the fourth contact on the microphone
carries +5V from the computer. I run the microphone off a 5V wall
adapter instead. The microphone gets plugged into LineIn, because
the output signal is line level. The microphone is nice, in that
it is sensitive, and all the rest of my microphones here don't
work well enough to use for anything. That's the only working
microphone I've got. At the time I fixed up the microphone,
I couldn't find any TRRS parts to use, to do a nice job
of making the adapter. They aren't sold locally. I can only
get soldertail TRS here (the most common kind).

Paul
Old January 6th 19, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

****ing annoying for some reason thx setup console is not working correctly.

Everything is coming from the FRONT ARGH !

Even though the THX setup console plays all sound through front speakers, re-assigning the speakers and pretending they play through correct speakers mostly and simply swapping assignment for side left and subwoofer still works !

So thank god for that ! =D

Also running console launcher in compatibility mode, no longer crashes but says consoles not installed properly ?! Weird...

Already tried re-installing with group policy in user configurations... for driving signing set to "warn".

But so far did not help.

Could also try this for re-installing actual audio drivers... though a pop-up already asked if I wanted to install it and windows 7 is in test mode... so probably doesn't matter for me/my system but it might help somebody else though

Fortunately all settings can be done via audio console for game mode.

audio creation console is still working though...

entertainmode console also crashing.

Bye,
Skybuck.