All-in-Wonder VE vs. GeForceMX2 200?

Old January 2nd 04, 10:40 PM
LRW

Default All-in-Wonder VE vs. GeForceMX2 200?

(1st, I am NOT trolling for arguements. I like both Radeon and nVidia and
not looking for a discussion of which company is better, but opinions
between only the following to cards, please. To prevent flaming threads, if
you want to e-mail me your feedback private, feel free to do so at "druid at
celticbear dot com".)

My good card went pfftt a little while back, and I can't yet afford the $160
card I want to get. So in the meantime I have a couple of friends who are
willing to sell me a card for around $15, each.
An ATI built All-In-WonderVE 64MB PCI and a
GeForce2 MX 200 4xAGP 64MB
Now I've already used the All-In-Wonder and it doesn't work well at all on
"Battlefield:1942" (again, to prevent silly brand-name arguements, my
previous card was a Radeon 7500 I really liked.)

So I'm wondering, would the GeForce which has I think slightly lower
hardware specs do any better because it's an AGP where the AIW-VE is a PCI?

And separately, are there any suggestions on how to improve the general
performance of either card? On paper the AIW-VE looks like it should run
Battlefield just fine...think there's something I can do to help it? Anyone
have personal experience with Battlefield and the GeForce2?

If it matters, the PC is a AthalonXP 1.4Ghz with 512MB RAM.

Thanks!
And again, please, no long "you suck no you suck no you suck" threads based
on brand name ideological differences. =)
Liam

Old January 3rd 04, 12:30 AM
The Black Wibble

"LRW" wrote in message news:OrmJb.726926$Tr4.1856926@attbi_s03...
[...]

Here's a review of the All-In-WonderVE 64MB PCI:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...view/page5.asp, and this
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/print/mx400.html is a review which includes a GeForce2 MX 200 64MB.
The AIW is much faster. So, since even the AIW does not work too well with BF 1942 you're sort of stuck,
really. Try searching the web for some tweaking utils.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Old January 3rd 04, 02:02 AM
Norman Wisdom

They're both pretty much even... just try and knock ya friends down
pricewise..then go for the cheapest....

Doubt if this will cause a Nvidia V ATI war here- cos both are old cardz....

Old January 3rd 04, 01:28 PM
Mike P

"...My good card went pfftt a little while back..."
That's the ****ty ATI drivers giving the card that attitude. Just reinstall
older drivers that were released before ATI started beating nvidia and the
card should make no more obnoxious noises at you.

Mike

Old January 3rd 04, 01:31 PM
Mike P

The cheapest card in the $15 price range shouldn't matter. I had a RadeonLE
32mb card hacked to the performance of a retail 32mb radeon and it beat my
brother's GF2GTS, which is faster than the gf2mx by quite a margin. It was
an agp card but I don't think there's a huge difference between agp and pci
at this performance level.
I'd go for the ATI in this case easy, even without the multimedia issue.

Mike
..

Old January 3rd 04, 05:29 PM
LRW

"Mike P" wrote in message
"...My good card went pfftt a little while back..."
That's the ****ty ATI drivers giving the card that attitude. Just

reinstall
older drivers that were released before ATI started beating nvidia and the
card should make no more obnoxious noises at you.

Uh, no, see, old card has been working fine for more than a year, then
suddenly it started crashing often despite using the same drivers. Opened up
the case, and the onboard fan was gunked up and stopped, and had been for
who know how long. "My bad" since I know I live in a dusty environment, I
should have been more diligent in cleaning the case more often.
After cleaning the fan and getting it to move once again, it would continue
to crash any time any performance was demanded of it...like any game.
And because I'm a tinkerer, I did everything from using any and every driver
I could get my hands on, utilities to UNDERclock it, and even did a
format/reinstall of the OS before I finally decided yep, the card is toast.
So I blame overheating burnout on it, not drivers.

Old January 3rd 04, 08:07 PM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:29:10 GMT
"LRW" wrote:

"Mike P" wrote in message
[...]

And before anybody says anything about ATI and cooling, I just killed a
Geforce the same way.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
Mike P

I was joking about it giving you the rasberries as the little rascals put
it. See my other post for a possible solution.

Old January 3rd 04, 10:06 PM
LRW

"Mike P" wrote in message
I was joking about it giving you the rasberries as the little rascals put
it. See my other post for a possible solution.

Oooohhh! OK.
=)
Really? The PCI card over the AGP? I wonder, because supposedly the
All-in-Wonder VE is a 7200 based card, and my 7500 AGP that ppffftted was
perfectly fine with games like Battlefield. So much so that I'm about
convinced it's got to be the PCI/AGP difference.
But, is there really that much difference between the 7200 core and the 7500
that that could be the issue?