Watercooling FX5900ultra

Old January 2nd 04, 05:41 PM
Anders Nilsson

Default Watercooling FX5900ultra

Hey!
I wonder which waterblock i should use if i want to watercooling a ASUS
9950Ultra(fx5900)?

Old January 2nd 04, 08:24 PM
JC

I might want to check www.coolerguys.com but...
The consensus seem to be the extra cooling on video cards bring only but a marginal
increase in the overclockability of a card.

JC

--
"That's when I heard the sound of the Universe
cocking the F**k With Me Gun"

Old January 3rd 04, 12:56 AM
Lenny

The consensus seem to be the extra cooling on video cards bring only but a

marginal
increase in the overclockability of a card.

Watercooling of video cards is pretty much a pointless waste of cash. The
small performance increase you'll see in a game will only be worth the
expense for people who orgasm when thinking of cold-cathode caselights, LED
fans and DIMM copper heat-spreaders.

Old January 3rd 04, 03:00 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:41:52 GMT, "Anders Nilsson"
wrote:

Hey!
I wonder which waterblock i should use if i want to watercooling a ASUS
9950Ultra(fx5900)?

Why bother ?

It doesn't run hot, max ~ 65 degrees. The new nVidia heat-sink/fan
design is very efficient and very quiet, and I assume that the Asus
design is equally efficient. Overclockability is overwhelmingly the
luck of the draw with the specific part on your board since the ultra
parts are already bin-selected for timing-margin to clock at the 450
rate. You are unlikely to get any significant overclock improvement
from watercooling. Anyway, all memory on the board would have
to be watercooled as well to really push the board to its
limit.............

DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY !

John Lewis

Old January 3rd 04, 12:23 PM
Anders Nilsson

wrote:

Hey!
I wonder which waterblock i should use if i want to watercooling a ASUS
9950Ultra(fx5900)?

Why bother ?

It doesn't run hot, max ~ 65 degrees. The new nVidia heat-sink/fan
design is very efficient and very quiet, and I assume that the Asus
design is equally efficient. Overclockability is overwhelmingly the
luck of the draw with the specific part on your board since the ultra
parts are already bin-selected for timing-margin to clock at the 450
rate. You are unlikely to get any significant overclock improvement
from watercooling. Anyway, all memory on the board would have
to be watercooled as well to really push the board to its
limit.............

DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY !

John Lewis

Is not because i want to overclock it, is the heat.
In idle is ~75 degress and in full load is ~85 - 90 degress.

Anders

Old January 3rd 04, 06:52 PM
Thomas Letherby

In message , John Lewis
writes
wrote:

Hey!
I wonder which waterblock i should use if i want to watercooling a ASUS
9950Ultra(fx5900)?

Why bother ?

It doesn't run hot, max ~ 65 degrees. The new nVidia heat-sink/fan
design is very efficient and very quiet, and I assume that the Asus
design is equally efficient. Overclockability is overwhelmingly the
luck of the draw with the specific part on your board since the ultra
parts are already bin-selected for timing-margin to clock at the 450
rate. You are unlikely to get any significant overclock improvement
from watercooling. Anyway, all memory on the board would have
to be watercooled as well to really push the board to its
limit.............

DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY !

John Lewis

However, if you already watercool the CPU and want to loose a fan it
does that very well. The RAM can be cooled by adding decent ramsinks
and I've seen some cards cooled this way get reasonable overclocks. As
you say though, it is luck of the draw as to how far the particular
component will go though.

To be perfectly honest I've not seen a 'bad' waterblock for a while now,
have a look around and see which takes your fancy and then google it to
find out other people's experiences with it.

--
Thomas Letherby