install AGP slot?

Old December 30th 03, 02:30 AM
Simon

Default install AGP slot?

My machine (HP P4 2.4) does not have an AGP slot. But as I checked on the
motherboard, over the PCI slots, there must a base for an AGP slot with very
small letters "AGP1" beside it. It has three holes that should be for
install.

Can I buy an AGP slot and install (solder) it there?

Thanks!

Simon

Old December 30th 03, 02:41 AM
Mark A

"Simon" wrote in message
My machine (HP P4 2.4) does not have an AGP slot. But as I checked on the
motherboard, over the PCI slots, there must a base for an AGP slot with

very
small letters "AGP1" beside it. It has three holes that should be for
install.

Can I buy an AGP slot and install (solder) it there?

Thanks!

Simon

Sure, as long as you don't expect any card inserted into the slot to do
anything.

Old December 30th 03, 02:58 AM
PRIVATE1964

Sure, as long as you don't expect any card inserted into the slot to do
anything.

lol........I'm sorry it's not really that funny.

I'm not sure what your looking at, but to solder on an AGP slot would be a lot
of work.
It also just wouldn't make sense to have all the solder connections, but not to
add the slot.
There are no motherboards that I have ever heard of that you can solder on the
AGP slot. Sorry.
Old December 30th 03, 04:05 AM
The@rtful dodger

Simon!

Get the jigsaw out old son....and go cut ya self an AGP slot!!!!....after
you've done that, take a hole saw and cut a hole in the side of ya pute,
then put your tower case outside in the garden and let the Blue Tits nest in
it.......but i'm afraid they won't arrive untill the spring!

Hope this helps

Old December 30th 03, 04:29 AM
RC

Don't listen to this nonsense! Internet is full of wise asses. Interned
would be so much better without them.

Just go to Radio Shack and buy a PCI to AGP adapter. Make sure to ask for a
4X one as the newer 8X versions will not work on older PCs. Also, since
NVIDIA does not support direct x you will have to purchase an ATI card.

Old December 30th 03, 06:12 AM
Mark A

Don't listen to this nonsense! Internet is full of wise asses. Interned
would be so much better without them.

Just go to Radio Shack and buy a PCI to AGP adapter. Make sure to ask

for
4X one as the newer 8X versions will not work on older PCs. Also, since
NVIDIA does not support direct x you will have to purchase an ATI card.

A PCI to AGP adapter, LOL, that's cute.

Just about anything you buy at Radio Shack will cost more than a new
motherboard.

Old December 30th 03, 06:47 AM
Simon

Thanks a lot, guys.

A question about the adapter from PCI to AGP: Can it make the AGP card run
at pure AGP level of perfromance? or still equivalent to a PCI card?

Simon

Old December 30th 03, 09:23 AM
The Black Wibble

"Simon" wrote in message ...
Thanks a lot, guys.

A question about the adapter from PCI to AGP: Can it make the AGP card run
at pure AGP level of perfromance? or still equivalent to a PCI card?

Simon

RC was being a silly bugger. There is or was such a thing as a PCI to AGP adapter ( see
here http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba...mage/nap4.html ) but this thing is so fringe it is
very unlikely you'll get one, and it won't increase pci bandwidth.

You can get the PCI version of the GeForce4 MX440, but... if it's today's graphics heavy games you're wanting
to play then there is no choice except to buy a new motherboard, higher wattage PSU, and a grunty graphics
card.

Tony.
--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz.

Old December 31st 03, 12:36 AM
DaveW

Sorry, but no you can't "solder" an AGP slot onto the board.. The traces
for the AGP Slot go six or so layers deep on the PCB board.

Your limited to a PCI card or on-board video if that's what you have.

--
DaveW