Why most ink cartridges have just yellow & no green ink ?

Old May 28th 10, 10:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TE Cheah

Default Why most ink cartridges have just yellow & no green ink ?

My Canon iP1880 can't print dark green, just pale green.
I'll put green ink into cartridge. Has any1 here done this ?

Old May 29th 10, 02:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Lon

TE Cheah wrote:
My Canon iP1880 can't print dark green, just pale green.
I'll put green ink into cartridge. Has any1 here done this ?

Your printer has a color map that adds other colors to give you a
specific green color.

If you put green ink into a yellow cartridge, you have no way of telling
your printer that you've done this. You will NOT get a green output.

Some printers do offer green ink, some offer blue, some offer red to
expand the gamut. All the ones I know of are photo grade printers with
extra colors.

Old May 29th 10, 06:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bast

Joel wrote:
"TE Cheah" wrote:

My Canon iP1880 can't print dark green, just pale green.
I'll put green ink into cartridge. Has any1 here done this ?

Because the printer manufactures as well as artists have figured that
they can't build a printer large enough to hold 256,000 ink cartridges,

SNIPPED

Judging by the trend to smaller and smaller capacity OEM ink cartidges (with
higher prices) almost every year.
I'd say soon the printer companies just may be able achieve that goal soon.

Of course each of the cartridges will cost $20.00 to replace, have special
chips that explode if you even think about trying to refill them, and if one
color is empty the whole printer locks up, until you replace the empty one.

But on the bright side you will get the whole printer new for $3.00.

Old May 30th 10, 02:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bast

Joel wrote:
"Bast" wrote:

Joel wrote:
"TE Cheah" wrote:

My Canon iP1880 can't print dark green, just pale green.
I'll put green ink into cartridge. Has any1 here done this ?

Because the printer manufactures as well as artists have figured that
they can't build a printer large enough to hold 256,000 ink
cartridges,

SNIPPED

Judging by the trend to smaller and smaller capacity OEM ink cartidges
(with higher prices) almost every year.
I'd say soon the printer companies just may be able achieve that goal
soon.

Of course each of the cartridges will cost $20.00 to replace, have
special chips that explode if you even think about trying to refill
them, and if one color is empty the whole printer locks up, until you
replace the empty one.

But on the bright side you will get the whole printer new for $3.00.

It depends on what manufacture and model you have. There are refillable
ink cartrigge with ARC (Auto Reset Chip) for many models, and there are
remanufactured ink cartridge (refilled from original cartridges with
chip reset).

Refillable Ink Cartridges is around $20-120 for 6 cartridge set. The
cartridge and chip are same but some company charge more/less.

6 ink bottles is around $20-80 depending on what company you buy the
ink.

Over a year ago, I paid $45 for both cartridges + Ink, and $20 for 6
emptied catridges from different company. And I just ordered 6 bottles
of ink for $19.xx

I dare you to tell me what printer manufacturer, offers O.E.M. refillable
cartidges

They all do their best to make sure any aftermarket ink can never work.
Many "new models" take about 6 months+ before you can get any aftermaket
ink supplies or the re-setters.

And WHY do we even need re-setters if the printer companies allowed us to
refill in the first place.

Old May 30th 10, 04:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TE Cheah

Your printer has a color map that adds other colors to give you a specific
green color.

Green is a pure colour, no other colour added can increase pale green
to darker green.

If you put green ink into a yellow cartridge, you have no way of telling
your printer that you've done this.

If a printout has too many green pixels, 1 can use software to reduce
image's green content, before printing.

You will NOT get a green output.

I think I will, but may need to swap between 2 different cartridges ( 1
has yellow ink ) if reducing green content can't work well.

Old May 31st 10, 03:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ[_3_]

On 05/29/2010 11:48 PM, TE Cheah wrote:
Your printer has a color map that adds other colors to give you a specific
green color.

Green is a pure colour, no other colour added can increase pale green
to darker green.

Green IS a "pure color" when it comes to light. With light, you mix red
and green to get yellow.

Green is NOT a "pure color" when it comes to ink. With ink, green is
obtained by mixing cyan and yellow, for the most part.

If you put green ink into a yellow cartridge, you have no way of telling
your printer that you've done this.

If a printout has too many green pixels, 1 can use software to reduce
image's green content, before printing.

You will NOT get a green output.

I think I will, but may need to swap between 2 different cartridges ( 1
has yellow ink ) if reducing green content can't work well.

If you put green into a yellow cartridge, at best all you do is ruin a
perfectly good yellow cartridge.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Old June 3rd 10, 01:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bast

Joel wrote:
"Bast" wrote:

Joel wrote:
"Bast" wrote:

Joel wrote:
"TE Cheah" wrote:

[...]

Well, if you DARE then there will be no DARE from me as I have no
interest in daring game.

They all do their best to make sure any aftermarket ink can never work.
Many "new models" take about 6 months+ before you can get any
aftermaket ink supplies or the re-setters.

You sounds mistaken with MOVIE or something. Unlike movie marketing,
printer manufacture don't have time to mess around with the Chip
Protection often. So some do but not all

And WHY do we even need re-setters if the printer companies allowed us
to refill in the first place.

And are you talking about ALL models or SOME model? I have been using
ink jet printer for so long, gone through several Chip Resetters and
generations of printers so I do know the general.

I just saw this reply in another post.
It doesn't blow up/explode yet, but they are getting closer g

"There is no way to reset a 9-pin Epson chip with a 7-pin resetter. You
can order a 9-pin resetter from supplysource(at)gmail.com
The 9-pin resetter is capable of resetting 7-pin cartridges as well.
Please note that Epson has added a "fuse" that blows out when if the
ink level drops below about 10% to the 9-pin cartridges. So it is
important to refill before the ink level gets too low. Once the fuse
blows the cartridge becomes useless.

Fred"

Old June 10th 10, 05:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TE Cheah

With ink, green is obtained by mixing cyan and yellow
The blue ink in my cartridge does not look like cyan ( a mix of
green & blue ). I notice my cartridege can print light green
despite having just red blue & yellow ink, seems strange.
Are you a professional printer ?

Old June 11th 10, 12:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ[_3_]

On 06/10/2010 12:56 PM, TE Cheah wrote:
With ink, green is obtained by mixing cyan and yellow

The blue ink in my cartridge does not look like cyan ( a mix of
green& blue ). I notice my cartridege can print light green
despite having just red blue& yellow ink, seems strange.
Are you a professional printer ?

Nope. I'm a farmer by trade, but I happen to have an electrical
engineering degree.

The colors on a light-emitting device like a CRT TV/monitor screen are
produced by mixing various levels of red, green, and blue (RGB). This is
called *additive* color mixing, because the emitted lights are *added*
together. With that system, adding all basic colors together produces white.

Inks and pigments on the other hand, use *subtractive* coloring. They
get their displayed colors by reflecting a portion of the light that
reaches them, and *subtracting* the rest through absorption. The basic
subtractive colors are Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow. (CMYK. The "K" stands
for the "key," which is black.) Mix those three together and you get
black, because all reflected colors are *subtracted*.

That's the basics. In practice, printed colors are enhanced by mixing in
varying amounts of black, and in six-color photo printers, the colors
are enhanced through the use of additional amounts of light cyan and
light magenta. The exact details vary with the printer, and are beyond
my expertise.

I don't know of any consumer printer that uses green ink, but then I've
been wrong before.

For more detailed explanations, I suggest you Google CMYK. Wikipedia has
a pretty good article on it.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Old July 4th 10, 07:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TE Cheah

subtractive colors are Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow

Have you noticed that the cyan ink of probably every brand
looks like just blue ( with no green content ) ? Even the 1st
cyan colour in wikipedia page on CMYK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model
looks just blue.
I may add green ink into a "cyan" ink, to get greener printouts.