OT--oFFLINE CONTENT?

Old July 27th 08, 05:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default OT--oFFLINE CONTENT?

When doing some maintenance with IE 6.0 I clear the cache (delete temporary
internet files). I also have the option to clear offline content. What is
offline content?

Mel

Old July 27th 08, 08:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:05:54 -0400, "MZB"
wrote:

When doing some maintenance with IE 6.0 I clear the cache (delete temporary
internet files). I also have the option to clear offline content. What is
offline content?

Mel

Whenever you go online to surf the Web, Explorer stores a copy of all
pages visited including the sounds, graphics, animations and movies
you saw in the windows' temporary internet files folder on your hard
drive. This is what you are clearing as the offline content.
Old July 27th 08, 09:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

What is offline content?
Whenever you go online to surf the Web, Explorer stores a copy of all
pages visited including the sounds, graphics, animations and movies
you saw in the windows' temporary internet files folder on your hard
drive. This is what you are clearing as the offline content.

IIRC, offline content was actually something else - you could nominate
certain sites to be updated for offline access, whether or not you
visited the site directly.
Old July 27th 08, 09:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_2_]

MZB wrote:
When doing some maintenance with IE 6.0 I clear the cache (delete temporary
internet files). I also have the option to clear offline content. What is
offline content?

Mel

The temporary internet files are the ones that your machine downloads
when you visit a site. Each time you visit (or however your options are
set) it will look at the stored page and only update changed data (until
you delete it)

The Offline content is different. There is an option in IE to make a
page available offline. What that does is copies ALL the page, any pages
linked to it and any other relevant data. This is saved as a file much
like a server saves the site. With it saved you can disconnect from the
net BUT still visit the site in IE.

If you want to see how it works go to the "Favorites" menu, then select
"Organize Favorites" and you will see the option to "Make available
offline" if you select any of the favorites you have.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old July 27th 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:02:20 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

What is offline content?

Whenever you go online to surf the Web, Explorer stores a copy of all
pages visited including the sounds, graphics, animations and movies
you saw in the windows' temporary internet files folder on your hard
drive. This is what you are clearing as the offline content.

IIRC, offline content was actually something else - you could nominate
certain sites to be updated for offline access, whether or not you
visited the site directly.

Colin, I think you are right but I didn't elaborate that. Anyway
between your post and mine, I think Mel now knows what it is g.
Old July 27th 08, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:37:28 -0500, RnR wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:02:20 +0100, Colin Wilson
REMOVEEVERYTHINGBUTnewsgroup@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM. co.uk wrote:

What is offline content?
Whenever you go online to surf the Web, Explorer stores a copy of all
pages visited including the sounds, graphics, animations and movies
you saw in the windows' temporary internet files folder on your hard
drive. This is what you are clearing as the offline content.

IIRC, offline content was actually something else - you could nominate
certain sites to be updated for offline access, whether or not you
visited the site directly.

Colin, I think you are right but I didn't elaborate that. Anyway
between your post and mine, I think Mel now knows what it is g.

Ok, I just checked and there is a setting where you can have it
a) update every time you visit the site
b) upon IE startup
c) automatically
d) never

So I still agree with you but now I have elaborated on this g !

Old July 28th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

"RnR" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:02:20 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

What is offline content?
Whenever you go online to surf the Web, Explorer stores a copy of all
pages visited including the sounds, graphics, animations and movies
you saw in the windows' temporary internet files folder on your hard
drive. This is what you are clearing as the offline content.

IIRC, offline content was actually something else - you could nominate
certain sites to be updated for offline access, whether or not you
visited the site directly.

Colin, I think you are right but I didn't elaborate that. Anyway
between your post and mine, I think Mel now knows what it is g.

Isn't offline content used for people who use dial-up on a per hour or
minute basis? They download all the pages on a site then they do not have
to log back on the net to read the site, it's already on their pc.

Old July 28th 08, 03:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:30:16 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:02:20 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

What is offline content?
Whenever you go online to surf the Web, Explorer stores a copy of all
pages visited including the sounds, graphics, animations and movies
you saw in the windows' temporary internet files folder on your hard
drive. This is what you are clearing as the offline content.

IIRC, offline content was actually something else - you could nominate
certain sites to be updated for offline access, whether or not you
visited the site directly.

Colin, I think you are right but I didn't elaborate that. Anyway
between your post and mine, I think Mel now knows what it is g.

Isn't offline content used for people who use dial-up on a per hour or
minute basis? They download all the pages on a site then they do not have
to log back on the net to read the site, it's already on their pc.

Yes and for people who travel and don't have access at the moment.