Can you really select "No Security Software"?

Old May 28th 06, 03:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Can you really select "No Security Software"?

The last few machines I've bought from Dell have been purchased with
"No Security Software" selected, but they all fire right up with
McAfee's trial product startup, registration, updating, etc. Of
course, you can't cancel the install, nor can you uninstall it without
first installing, registering, configuring, and updating it. Grrrrr...

I really didn't want anything, so I can install my product of choice
from scratch.

Is there any way of getting what you ordered?
Old May 28th 06, 04:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"William P.N. Smith" wrote in message
The last few machines I've bought from Dell have been purchased with
"No Security Software" selected, but they all fire right up with
McAfee's trial product startup, registration, updating, etc. Of
course, you can't cancel the install, nor can you uninstall it without
first installing, registering, configuring, and updating it. Grrrrr...

I really didn't want anything, so I can install my product of choice
from scratch.

Is there any way of getting what you ordered?

Good point. lol.

The answer is apparently "no". (g)

I've experienced the same thing a half-dozen times now. Dell's getting paid
to put McAfee on anyway whether you or I like it or not. (g)

Old May 28th 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

only business systems (optiplex/precision) come with nothing installed!

you are right that you can not abort the mcaffee setup that easily.
you can simply run taks manager and end the task! that's what i do,
anda then end task also on every other mcaffee background task that is
running, ther eare about 8 of them or so,
and then go right to add/remove programs and uninstall it and it comes
out pretty cleanly. then remove the mcaffee folder if you want.
if you try to uninstall the mcaffee program without ending the taks, the
uninstaller will complain that the application is in use and cannot be
uninstalled! that's pretty low if you asked me! no other app works like
that. shame on all of them.

Old May 28th 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Jay B" wrote in message
only business systems (optiplex/precision) come with nothing installed!

you are right that you can not abort the mcaffee setup that easily.
you can simply run taks manager and end the task! that's what i do,
anda then end task also on every other mcaffee background task that is
running, ther eare about 8 of them or so,
and then go right to add/remove programs and uninstall it and it comes out
pretty cleanly. then remove the mcaffee folder if you want.
if you try to uninstall the mcaffee program without ending the taks, the
uninstaller will complain that the application is in use and cannot be
uninstalled! that's pretty low if you asked me! no other app works like
that. shame on all of them.

Dell Support 2.1 used to simply refuse to be removed short of regedit. They
finally put a new version of the program up on the website that can be
downloaded and then used as an uninstaller.

First boot last week on a new machine: 35+ entries in msconfig and (with
network connected) up to 70 processes running. (g)

More than a few of those were McAfee. First thing I removed.

Stew

Old May 29th 06, 05:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"William P.N. Smith" wrote in message
The last few machines I've bought from Dell have been purchased with
"No Security Software" selected, but they all fire right up with
McAfee's trial product startup, registration, updating, etc. Of
course, you can't cancel the install, nor can you uninstall it without
first installing, registering, configuring, and updating it. Grrrrr...

I really didn't want anything, so I can install my product of choice
from scratch.

Is there any way of getting what you ordered?

I suppose Dell had their reasons for doing this. Maybe it was a contract
offer from McAfee that was too good to refuse. Maybe they found that tech
support was spending way too much time helping customers who had selected
"No Security Software" remove viruses from their machines.

The computer I bought last year from Dell came with Norton Internet
Security, and I was able to remove it quickly and easily. Since that is
still an option and it doesn't cost anything more, then that's probably a
good option for someone who wants to roll their own. As for yanking out the
McAfee stuff that's already in there, I have to believe that a quick Google
search will find lots of sites with instructions for doing this.

Old May 29th 06, 07:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

From what I remember reading, even on the systems that allow you to choose
no pre-loaded bloatware, you MUST choose one of the various
anti-virus/security applications.

Perhaps they are insisting on this from a support issue point of view to
help insure against a new user that has no anti-virus/security protection
(other that whats built into Windows) hookin their PC up to the internet and
getting it infected within min, then having them call Dell support with a
new infected system.

Yes I understand that those people that would choose NOT to have anything
loaded by Dell because they already have thier own software would already
know enough to load their protection software before attaching to the net.

Just a thought...

And yes, I'm one of the ones that would love to be able to pick and choose
which software I'd like to order with the system, AND choose which (if any)
of those applications I'd like pre-loaded, vs. ship the software and allow
me to load it myself at my choice.

Old June 5th 06, 12:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Nick Danger wrote:

Third Eye?

Old June 5th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Jay B wrote:

only business systems (optiplex/precision) come with nothing installed!

One guess is that the "no security" option means no security subscription"?
Old June 5th 06, 02:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

i believe so