Whats wrong with GW tech support anyway?

Old November 16th 05, 12:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default Whats wrong with GW tech support anyway?

I have a Gateway select 1000 pc, bought direct from gateway 4 yrs ago. I
just sent tech support an email, asking them if my pc will support an
upgrade from my current ME which came with the system, to XP. And the
emails I got back are both confusing, and annoying. Follow along. Heres
the first response from GW tech support:

" Regarding your inquiry if you can upgrade
your computer to Windows XP, our records show that your motherboard does
not support Windows XP. This could mean lack of drivers and other
incompatibilities. "

To this, I wrote back,

"So, youre telling me that, If I want to play a game like Doom3, which
requires Windows XP, I would need to buy a new computer, since the
motherboard in the computer you sold me 4 yrs ago cannot support it.. Is
that about right?"

To which they replied,

"You won't need to purchase a new computer,
Paul. As I have said, you can still choose to upgrade to Windows XP.
We just want to remind you that Gateway makes no guarantees about the
computer's compatibility with operating systems that were not sold with
the computer. It is still up to you if you want to upgrade."

I have a BIG problem with this so called 'support'. Im not talking about
some Fringe operating system here.. They cannot tell me that no tech
engineer has ever installed or tried to install XP onto a pc with my
Motherboard. They flat out tell me, "our records show that your motherboard
does not support Windows XP". Ok, fine.. But, when I ask if that means I
need to buy a new pc in order to run XP, they say, "You won't need to
purchase a new computer". If this isnt verbal diahrea, I dont know what
is.. Dont we have a right to be able to expect more Support from GW Tech
Support dept than this garbled, useless response from them? Based on these
answers, I have no idea whether i can upgrade or not. .All I know is that If
I buy it from them, and it doesnt work, im out of luck.. Gee, GW, thanks
alot... Sure are helpful, arent they? Any wonder why people prefer Dell? IM
not trying to be a wiseguy here.. But iVe been buying gateway for something
like 15 years now, but iM afraid this kind of treatment is the last straw.
Wouldnt this kind of treatment infuriate any thinking customer?

Paul E

Paul,

If you have all the back-up disks that came with your computer
originally, and the installation disks of the software & various
upgrade files for the installed software it seems to me you could
back-up your data and make the upgrade to XP. Then if it does not
work, you would have the means to format and put your computer back
into its current ME configuration.

I think Ghost is to expensive for a one time use, but this would be the
perfect use for the software. An easy way to backup your hard drive,
for a easy recovery to your current ME configuration if you every
needed to return your computer its current configuration.

I should think it you should able to do a clean install using a
purchased XP Disk. But maybe a clean install is not what you want.

Time and again I see the select model with both the XP home or XP pro
addition listed for sale on e-Bay.

Currently there is a select 700 listed with XP home installed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-Select-K...QQcmdZViewItem

I certainly agree with your comments about the the current state of
gateway support, they have no Idea. As you discovered gateway support
is not what it was when you purchased your computer...

But Dell support is a time waste of time in comparison to gateway. I
have had several situations lately and would love to meet the several
of their support tech, including their superviors in a dark ally to
secure some sadifaction.

Old November 16th 05, 12:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

snip

I certainly agree with your comments about the the current state of gateway
support, they have no Idea. As you discovered gateway support is not what it
was when you purchased your computer...

But Dell support is a time waste of time in comparison to gateway. I have had
several situations lately and would love to meet the several of their support
tech, including their superviors in a dark ally to secure some sadifaction.

Boostm3,

I forgot to include, I am not a violent person, unless severely
provoked by stubborn uncaring sub-human attitude in a confrontation.
It has been years, since I have became this angry towards anyone,
company or situation.

I solved the situation, by very calmly taking two dell computers from
my workbench into my front yard, and completely destroyed them with my
neighbors 10 pound sledge. I did this to know that I have taken Dell
product from circulation, and the possibility this company might
trouble someone else with these computers. I will never repair, or
suggest anyone use or purchase a Dell product in the future.

In the last several years I have reconditioned and repaired 40 + used
Dell computers, and put them into the hands of school children not in a
situation to have a computer of their own, but I will never place a
Dell product again in my lifetime.

JR the postman

Old November 16th 05, 11:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Hehe, they are just trying to get around having to admit that they don't
upgrade their drivers. As for your specific issue, you'll probably be
able to upgrade to WinXP. Most of the drivers you'll need will probably
on the WinXP disk. However, I don't think the Select 1000 is anywhere
near the minimum requirement for Doom3. What you got there is a Quake2
machine

Mort

Old November 16th 05, 11:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Yea, I hear you.. But, I have just ordered an FX5200 Video card and a new
DEll 19" LCD monitor. Wouldnt this video card, which has both 128mb, and
128 bit bus width be enough to run it? The pc itself runs at 1 ghz, but
combined with the video card, I was thinking it would be sufficient. Im not
a big game player, and I know my pc is not up to the fastest of the newest
games, but I thought Doom3 would run... As for Doom2, hell, they say that
will run on machines a generation behind mine. id site says: 486 processor
operating at a minimum of 66MHz !! For Doom3, it says, "Pentium®IV 1.5 GHz
or Athlon® XP 1500+ processoror higher
384MB RAM " I have enough ram, but at 1 ghz, iM a little too slow I guess.
Good thing Im not a game player.. Well, at least I can watch movies on my
pc.. When Im too slow for that, thats when Ill have to upgrade.. At least,
my new FX5200 on order and lcd 19" monitor should help in That endeavor at
least..

Old November 17th 05, 12:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Ouch. I heard the FX5200 isn't very good for Doom3...you might have major
FPS issues there. Back when the Doom3 Beta leaked I played it on my P4 1.4,
768mb ram with a GeForce4 128mb card (one step below the FX5200). I had to
alter the config file quite a bit to get it to run (had it operating at
around 35fps low action screens), it still lagged if I went to fast and ran
into graphic intense areas. By the time Doom3 officially came out I had
purchased a FX5900SE which played the game excellent. You might want to
consider that card instead (or anything better than the 5200), especially
since your processor doesn't meet specs by so much.

Old November 17th 05, 12:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Paul;
It is not "so called 'support'", it is reality with a different OS.
There is no support at all with a different OS.
You would probably get a similar answer from Dell or any other major OEM.
Few if any major OEMs support any OS different from what was originally
installed.

Try swapping a different hard drive and check compatibility after installing
Windows XP.
If your hardware and software is compatible with Windows XP, you can
continue.
If not, you have lost nothing since you still have the original installation
intact on the original hard drive.
Windows XP works on a G6-366, about a year or so older than yours so XP
should work OK on your computer.
You may need a BIOS upgrade as well as the latest drivers available.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old November 17th 05, 12:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Make sure you have at least 512mb of memory prior to installing XP - some of
the earlier computers came out with no more than 128mb and under those
conditions the system runs about as fast as molasses on a cold January
morning.

Old November 17th 05, 01:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Well, like I said, I wasnt looking for a guarantee.. But if you read what i
wrote, then youll see that the same person wrote that 'my motherboard will
not support xp,' and then in his next response, 'you dont need to buy a new
pc to run xp'... Hello??? As I said, I was looking for some technical
Advice.... like, you know perfectly well they have installed xp on my pc,
and know damn well what the odds are that it will run, and what min memory I
would need, and whether my apps would run on xp, or those would be needed to
be upgraded.... You know.. stuff like that.. Thats what tech support is..
Othewise, just hire monkeys to say, 'we dont guarantee any os not shipped on
your pc'. Yup, that might be true, but they Could be an awful lot more
helpful than that if they tried. Proof is that, later on, after I pressed
them, they would up admitting odds are it would run fine.. This, after they
stated point blank my motherboard did not support xp.!! Thats not good.. So
yea,.. for that, I call it 'so called tech support'.