Nvidia or Ati

Old January 3rd 04, 02:22 PM
Richard Jønvåg

Default Nvidia or Ati

Which one should i choose ?

MSI GeForce FX5900 128MB DDR
AGP, FX5900-SPVTD128, VIVO/DVI-I, Retail

or

Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR
AGP, ATI 9600XT, DVI-I, VIVO, Retail

Both cards sells at about $285 here in Norway (Asus about $35 cheaper)
The MSI lacks svhs-in feature (i guess i can live with that)

My system is p4-2.4 at the Asus p4s800 mainboard (1024 mb pc2700 ram)

I enjoy games like:
- CC Generals
- Prince of Percia
- Age Of Mythology
- Rise of Nations

I have the fx 5600 non ultra now, and wants a better card for the oncoming
games.....

Richard

Old January 3rd 04, 07:50 PM
Joe M.

"Richard Jønvåg" wrote in message
Which one should i choose ?

MSI GeForce FX5900 128MB DDR
AGP, FX5900-SPVTD128, VIVO/DVI-I, Retail

or

Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR
AGP, ATI 9600XT, DVI-I, VIVO, Retail

Both cards sells at about $285 here in Norway (Asus about $35 cheaper)
The MSI lacks svhs-in feature (i guess i can live with that)

My system is p4-2.4 at the Asus p4s800 mainboard (1024 mb pc2700 ram)

I enjoy games like:
- CC Generals
- Prince of Percia
- Age Of Mythology
- Rise of Nations

I have the fx 5600 non ultra now, and wants a better card for the oncoming
games.....

Richard

Have you considered an eVGA 5900 SE (also seen as an XT)? Almost up to 5900
performance (so close not even worth worrying), substantially faster than
the 9600XT and in the US at least you get the full version of Call of Duty -
all for $188US. I bought one for my son and it's a great card for the $$$.
Surprisingly fast until you really crank up the res or FSAA/Anis.

If the SE/XT isn't viable then go with the 5900, it's a much faster card
than the 9600XT (which is only considered comparable to the 5900 because it
does better with DX9 - not important to me at the moment since the major
crush of DX9 games will not happen with this generation of cards).

--
Joe M.

Old January 3rd 04, 09:07 PM
dave

Well as a ex nvidea user i must say ait has the better card and the better
picture.The fsaa function is much better and faster than the nvidea.I using
now a ATI-radeon9800pro.Well ask this question also in the ati newgroup
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cya..
"Richard Jønvåg" schreef in bericht

Old January 3rd 04, 09:10 PM
dave

O you already did.........

Old January 3rd 04, 09:23 PM
Dark Avenger

"Richard Jønvåg" wrote in message ...
Which one should i choose ?

MSI GeForce FX5900 128MB DDR
AGP, FX5900-SPVTD128, VIVO/DVI-I, Retail

or

Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR
AGP, ATI 9600XT, DVI-I, VIVO, Retail

Both cards sells at about $285 here in Norway (Asus about $35 cheaper)
The MSI lacks svhs-in feature (i guess i can live with that)

My system is p4-2.4 at the Asus p4s800 mainboard (1024 mb pc2700 ram)

I enjoy games like:
- CC Generals
- Prince of Percia
- Age Of Mythology
- Rise of Nations

I have the fx 5600 non ultra now, and wants a better card for the oncoming
games.....

Richard

The FX5900XT is based upon a 256bits 5900 PCB
The 9600XT is based upon a 128bits 9600 PCB

... the FX is faster :-)

it's even faster as the FX5700 Ultra :-)
Old January 4th 04, 03:17 AM
Joe M.

What's your point? He's not asking about top of the line, he's asking about
mid-range where nvidia is by far the better buy (you probably don't know
that since factual comparisons aren't your style).

FWIW, FSAA on a GF FX 5900U is just as fast as a 9800 Pro. Rather than
express an opinion (as you did) here are some facts:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ew/default.asp

ATI makes great cards, no need to exaggerate their performance to make
nvidia less appealing.

--
Joe M.