Checking NVRAM.. and turn off, turn on

Old July 28th 04, 03:34 PM
Frits van Leeuwen

Default Checking NVRAM.. and turn off, turn on

Hello,
I have 2 problems.

1) When I start my computer it shows for a long time (more then 5 minutes)
"Checking NVRAM.."

2) When I turn off my computer, and within 3 minutes I turn on my computer,
I have no screenview. When I turn off the computer, and let it for more then
20 minutes off. And then I turn the computer on, then I do not have this
problem.

I have a ASUS P4P800S-SE main bord.
2 Harddisks on 1 flatcable and a DVD-player and a CD-writer on a other
flatcable
I have a PCI-card for 2 more USB ports.
I have a AGP videocard (ASUS 9200-SE)

Who can help me with this problems?

Old July 28th 04, 05:50 PM
Paul

In article , "Frits van Leeuwen"
wrote:

Hello,
I have 2 problems.

1) When I start my computer it shows for a long time (more then 5 minutes)
"Checking NVRAM.."

2) When I turn off my computer, and within 3 minutes I turn on my computer,
I have no screenview. When I turn off the computer, and let it for more then
20 minutes off. And then I turn the computer on, then I do not have this
problem.

I have a ASUS P4P800S-SE main bord.
2 Harddisks on 1 flatcable and a DVD-player and a CD-writer on a other
flatcable
I have a PCI-card for 2 more USB ports.
I have a AGP videocard (ASUS 9200-SE)

Who can help me with this problems?

For problem 1) , a previous poster discovered that his USB joystick
caused the long delay. Try disconnecting your USB devices, and see
if the computer starts faster.

If you use the "Hardware Monitor", what are the power supply
voltages ? Are they within 5% of the nominal values ?

Your problem 2) will be tougher to solve. I would strip the
computer down, removing the extra PCI card, the disk drives
not needed to boot the computer, to see if you can isolate
the problem. It sounds like something is preventing the
computer from recognizing it has been shut down. If there is
a leakage current entering one of the power rails, that
might not be letting the reset circuit work properly, for
example.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 29th 04, 10:54 AM
Frits van Leeuwen

"Paul" schreef in bericht
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your answere. I'll take a look of this when I'm back home.

Old August 2nd 04, 08:11 AM
Frits van Leeuwen

I have also a PCI-card with 2 USB-ports.
Now I use this card for my printer and webcam, and problem 1 is fixed.

For problem 2, I hope it's fixed by useing updates from the site
www.asuscom.wt

But I'm afraid that gives me a new problem. Now I do not have no sounds.
Only beebs.

"Frits van Leeuwen" schreef in bericht
"Paul" schreef in bericht

Old August 5th 04, 03:29 AM
Paul

wrote:

I have also a PCI-card with 2 USB-ports.
Now I use this card for my printer and webcam, and problem 1 is fixed.

For problem 2, I hope it's fixed by useing updates from the site
www.asuscom.wt

But I'm afraid that gives me a new problem. Now I do not have no sounds.
Only beebs.

It could be you have a grounding problem. Make sure the printer and
the computer are connected to the same AC power source. For example,
all the stuff connected to my computer, is powered via the same
power strip (six outlet plugs on the strip). Using a power strip
ensures the safety ground is the same on all devices, so there are
no ground potential differences.

For the sound to work, your manual says something must be connected
to the chip. This is a stupid idea! The BIOS should not be deciding
on its own, that you are to have no sound.

"OnBoard ACą97 Audio [Auto]
[Auto] allows the BIOS to detect whether you are using any audio
device. If an audio device is detected, the onboard audio
controller is enabled; if no audio device is detected, the
controller is disabled. Configuration options: [Disabled] [Auto]"

Plug a set of headphones into the Pink audio jack on the back of
the computer, and see if the Lineout remains alive for you.

Check that the two jumpers are on the FP_AUDIO header. See item #9
in the manual, "Front Panel Audio Connector", for a picture of
where to place the two jumper plugs.

HTH,
Paul