Will the 9700PRO work in a mainboard with AGP 2.0?

Old January 1st 04, 11:07 PM
willbill

Default Will the 9700PRO work in a mainboard with AGP 2.0?

Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:35:34 -0800, "Jon Danniken" wrote:

"willbill" wrote:
Jon Danniken" wrote:

I can't seem to dig up a definite answer on this one. I've got an MSI K7T Turbo2 mainboard,
which conforms to the AGP 2.0 standard (1x, 2x, 4x), and I am wondering if an ATI Radeon

9700PRO
would be able to work in this board.

check:

www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

and also:

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html

Thanks Bill, although from the first site it looks like it should work, the second site says
that it won't. Now I'm even more confused than ever.

the whole AGP 1.0 vs. 2.0 vs. 3.0 is extremely confusing.

i don't fully trust the info in the 2nd site, but included
it coz it has impressed me as useful info

sorry that i didn't say that to start with

fwiw, i think the info on the ATI site is 100% accurate

i can add that i have no clue about your motherboard,
but afaik so long as your mobo has a legit AGP slot,
then the ATI 9700 (pro or non pro) appears to me
to cover all the bases

that likely includes the 9700 clone boards (like
Sapphire) also, but i wouldn't bet my life on that

easiest way to find them is www.pricewatch.com
and search on: 9700 video

given that your mobo really does have AGP 2.0,
another option would be to buy an nVidia board
that has AGP 2.0

one possibility being the 5900 coz the move to
the 5950 has caused some vendors to start doing
big time price drops on the 5900. problem is
i don't know if the 5900 has AGP 2.0 functionality.
anyhow, i crossposted this, so maybe someone
will give some accurate info on the 5900

i recently looked at specs for the 5700 and
that one appeared to have AGP 2.0 capability

bill
Old January 2nd 04, 09:14 AM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

In Australia its 500 bucks the cheapest.

Old January 2nd 04, 10:30 AM
bob cox

Yeah, but your water spins the other way, so what do you expect.