Recording CDs from cassette

Old October 20th 04, 10:47 PM
Don.

Default Recording CDs from cassette

I've a simple cassette player, the Walkman type. I tried to record a
cassette but there's something wrong with the signal strength. I don't
know if it's too low or too high. I understand it's an impedance match
problem and I might be able to get a passive device from Rat Shack.
They've never heard of such...

Any one know the resistor values, or the attenuation needed? I have
'real' cassette player, but it's a pain to get it from downstairs up
to the computer.

Thanks,
Don

Old October 20th 04, 11:15 PM
Mike Richter

Don. wrote:
I've a simple cassette player, the Walkman type. I tried to record a
cassette but there's something wrong with the signal strength. I don't
know if it's too low or too high. I understand it's an impedance match
problem and I might be able to get a passive device from Rat Shack.
They've never heard of such...

Any one know the resistor values, or the attenuation needed? I have
'real' cassette player, but it's a pain to get it from downstairs up
to the computer.

I recommend that you take the "pain" or, if you're doing this often, get
a second player. The problem is that a headphone output may be usable
for the job but is designed for a different one. Still, it should only
affect distortion, not ability to record.

If you have enabled recording (not just playback) from Line in and have
the appropriate cable, you should be able to set acceptable levels. For
starters, use the maximum level at Line in and the lowest headphone
output which lets the peaks approach saturation without going into
clipping. If you're picking up noise, crank the headphone output up and
the Line in gain down correspondingly.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old October 21st 04, 04:19 PM
Dave Cohen

Mike Richter wrote:

Don. wrote:

[...]

I do this all the time using a sony 'boombox' and total recorder. I keep
the player volume at normal listening level, phono out to line in and
use the built in total recorder level controls to adjust recording level
using the graphical level indicator. Using line out is much to be if
preferred but not always supplied. Results are entirely acceptable for
my purposes which is to produce audio or .mp3 for portable player in car.
Dave Cohen
Old October 21st 04, 09:38 PM
Don.

Dave Cohen wrote:

Mike Richter wrote:

Don. wrote:

[...]

Well, I'll be dipped! ;-) I've been going about this the wrong way it seems.
Thanks, Dave, I'll look and see if I can match what you've done.

Don

Recording Music Ed and Hazel Horak Cdr 2 August 3rd 04 08:55 AM
Roxio DirectCD's recording speed can't be adjusted anymore... KILOWATT Cdr 12 February 23rd 04 12:06 AM
Athlon 64 3000+ or P4 3.0C for Audio recording? Guertin Graphics Art Department Homebuilt PC's 5 February 6th 04 11:25 PM
Mobo/CPU tips for Audio Recording system mr_melvis General 0 January 25th 04 07:07 PM
Question about Streaming RA and recording JAD Homebuilt PC's 3 December 3rd 03 01:42 PM