CD-RW Format?

Old October 19th 04, 12:07 PM
Phred

Default CD-RW Format?

In article ,
Jerome M. Katz wrote:
There are several different ways of writing to a CD-RW. The first way
is to use it as a normal CD-R with the ability to ertase the whole
disk. This requires no formatting and can be read by any computer. The
second method is packet writing which does require formatting and can
be read by any machine having packet writing software (such as direct
CD which comes with Easy CD Creator) or a UDSF reader which can be
downloaded (free) from Roxio's site. With packet writing, the CD-RW
behaves like a large floppy (i.e. you can delet individual files).

I hope this clarifies the issues for you.

G'day Jerry,
I admit to being still confused by what I've read in various places
and what I've experienced!

Using Adaptec DirectCD 3.01d_D5 (i.e. a Dell-installed OEM version)
that came with my Dell 4100 under Windows ME:

CD-RW -- The default format process takes around 20 minutes and
results in a disk that can be read reliably on a CD-ROM drive under
Windows 95 and Windows 2000 on old an Dell GXa 266, without any
additional software AFAIK.

CD-R -- The default format process takes barely a minute and creates
blanks that have much more useable space than the above-mentioned
CD-RWs. They can be used like a CD-RW for drag and drop under
Windows, and for the usual file operations from a DOS window (as you
can do with a floppy). But they CANNOT be read by the CD-ROM drive
referred to above -- though I guess it may be possible to do that by
installing additional software on the GXa, as you mentioned.

Using the associated Adaptec ECDC 4.02d (Dell OEM?) to write
"standard" CD-Rs results in CDs that I've been able to read on any
machine, as you'd expect!

I've not tried using a CD-RW as a "standard" CD-R (i.e. with ECDC),
though I gather it is possible to do this. (But perhaps it wouldn't
be readable on CD-ROM drives anyway, due to physical characteristics?)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old October 19th 04, 06:45 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Phred (Pipsqueak) moaned:

snip moaning

Stop that moaning, sicko!

Did you get ecstatic by this "prejudice", sicko?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 8/27/01

I'm a great fan of DirectCD "packet writing," which allow me
to use CD-RWs like huge floppies. I've never had any problems
with DirectCD.

Wait. You will.
=====================

With a Shill like this, Roxio doesn't need any critics!

-------------------------
Roxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!
-------------------------
Old October 19th 04, 08:25 PM
Jerome M. Katz

Phred,

My comments are below in black.

Jerry

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:07:20 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

In article ,
Jerome M. Katz wrote:
[...]

Some versions of
Direct CD put the UDF reader on the CD-RW as part of the formatting so
the disk can be read under any version of Windows compatible with that
version of the UDF reader.

CD-R -- The default format process takes barely a minute and creates
blanks that have much more useable space than the above-mentioned
CD-RWs. They can be used like a CD-RW for drag and drop under
Windows, and for the usual file operations from a DOS window (as you
can do with a floppy). But they CANNOT be read by the CD-ROM drive
referred to above -- though I guess it may be possible to do that by
installing additional software on the GXa, as you mentioned.

The process you are using is totally different. You are
not using the CD-R as a large floppy and you cannot erase and rewqrite
on the disk. There is essentially no formatting for this type of
writing. It should be redabale by all CD-ROM and CD-RW drives (except
possibly very old drives)

Using the associated Adaptec ECDC 4.02d (Dell OEM?) to write
"standard" CD-Rs results in CDs that I've been able to read on any
machine, as you'd expect!

I've not tried using a CD-RW as a "standard" CD-R (i.e. with ECDC),
though I gather it is possible to do this. (But perhaps it wouldn't
be readable on CD-ROM drives anyway, due to physical characteristics?)

It should be readable on any relatively recent (less than about 5
years old CD-ROM drive) and you can erase the whole disk but not
delete individual files

Cheers, Phred.

Old October 20th 04, 05:06 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Phred (Pipsqueak) moaned:

snip moaning

Stop that moaning, sicko!

Did you get ecstatic by these prejudices, sicko?

DirectCD Bug Sanctioned by the Specification!

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered (6/21/04):

Recent versions of DCD saved the user one step
when closing a variable-length packet session without
closing the disc: they format for the (presumed) next session
when closing the last.

"Save one step"! But the supposed benefit of the "save" is this:

===================
From: "Bob M"
Subject: Roxio Easy CD Creator & Direct CD 5.0
Date: 3/12/01

DCD 5.0 does not temporarily close CD's
so the session is always open, and most times,
unreadable on ANY CD drive.

They [cRoxio] hope to have a fix very soon
===================

Wow! The DirectCD bug is a "save one step" feature!

As I understand the spec, that's legal

And the DirectCD bug is even sanctioned by the spec, no less!

---------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin' ****!
---------------------------

--------------------------------------

Old October 20th 04, 11:22 AM
Phred

In article , Jerome M. Katz wrote:
Phred,
My comments are below in black.
Jerry

Thanks mate. See another comment from me below.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:07:20 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:
In article ,
Jerome M. Katz wrote:
[...]

Well, it's not physically a floppy, and I know you can't *physically*
erase files from a CD-R formatted like that, but it's *logically* very
similar to using a floppy. For example, in a DOS window you can
create and "delete" files on the CD-R; create and "delete" folders;
and "overwrite" existing files with a new version -- all until you
eventually run out of space because you're basically just shifting
"pointers" around, not physically changing what's been written on the
disk. (I've no doubt there's likely to be software around that can
"recover" the previous versions of things like files by doing some
sort of appropriate scan of the surface of the CD.)

on the disk. There is essentially no formatting for this type of
writing. It should be redabale by all CD-ROM and CD-RW drives (except
possibly very old drives)

I've only been able to read them on machines with CD-RW drives and
with DirectCD as the default install. Not at all on CD-ROM drives
(with the proviso it may be possible with specific software built for
the purpose).

Old October 20th 04, 05:51 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Phred (Pipsqueak) moaned:

snip moaning

Stop that moaning, sicko!

Did you get ecstatic by this prejudice, sicko?

--------------------------------
Why the F%^k use CDR's with UDF?
--------------------------------

===================
From: (GMAN) === Ex cRoxio/Acraptec Beta Tester
Date: 2/21/02

Windows 2000 Cannot Read CD-R Discs Created with DirectCD
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268094

Well then it doesn't conform to UDF standards.

Why the F%^k are you using CDR's with UDF in the first place?

UDF and packet writing software were meant for CDRW to begin with.
===================
Old October 20th 04, 06:17 PM
Ted Zieglar

Some decisions are so easy: PLONK.
--
Ted Zieglar

. --------------------------------------

Old October 20th 04, 06:42 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Ted Zieglar (Pipsqueak) squeaked:

Some decisions are so easy: PLONK.

The only plonk you know is the sound you hear when a pile of coasters
pops out of your ass.

Old October 20th 04, 08:03 PM
smh

.. -------------------------------------------
how HUGE are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
Only a trashy company like Roxio or Adaptec
let loosed in Usenet this utter trash
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
----------------------

Ted Zieglar (Pipsqueak) squealed:

You should consider upgrading to Easy Media Creator (i.e., version 7).
A lot has changed in the CD recording world since version 5.

But something sure hasn't:

Subject: ROXIO media creator 7 is garbage. HELP ME!
Date: 4/18/04

Just so we're clear...what you're saying is, if you buy a piece
of software, and it doesn't work for any reason whatsoever, then
the software is at fault. Is that the statement you are making?
Just curious...

If the software is "ROXIO" , then it goes WITHOUT saying.

**** I wish I knew all this information before I bought the ****.

windows XP format hdd Christo General 2 November 19th 04 07:48 PM
How to format without a CD-RW? Bogus Fracture General 3 August 6th 04 05:40 AM
INCD puzzle Wishy13764 Cdr 4 January 9th 04 05:58 AM
47000 minutes to format CDRW? Mike Richter Cdr 3 December 19th 03 07:34 AM
How do I format a HD with WinXP installed. My PC is stuffed! Newt Homebuilt PC's 1 August 21st 03 05:33 PM