Software problem or hardware?

Old October 17th 04, 10:31 PM
E_Net_Rider

Default Software problem or hardware?

I have a CD and CD/DVD burners, both Liteon. Different software came with
each. I was having problems getting the Sonic to update, remove, re-install
etc. Turned out that was a problem with MSI. During the trouble shooting
phase of that problem for unknown reasons the CD/DVD quit recognizing CD's.
From within Sonic it tells "not ready". From Explorer, "Insert disk".
These are known good discs. I suspect it is a driver problem and hope
someone has the fix.

Old October 18th 04, 03:29 AM
Mike Richter

E_Net_Rider wrote:

I have a CD and CD/DVD burners, both Liteon. Different software came with
each. I was having problems getting the Sonic to update, remove, re-install
etc. Turned out that was a problem with MSI. During the trouble shooting
phase of that problem for unknown reasons the CD/DVD quit recognizing CD's.
From within Sonic it tells "not ready". From Explorer, "Insert disk".
These are known good discs. I suspect it is a driver problem and hope
someone has the fix.

Without knowing your OS, advising on drivers is impossible - except the
usual to check with the vendor if a driver is needed at all. What you
report on having done should not affect either drivers or the hardware,
but then you are hardly specific.

Complicating this further is that you don't say whether either drive
recognizes a pressed disc, a burned disc, or neither.

Presumably, "the Sonic" is a software packages which came with one of
your drives; perhaps there is some sort of conflict with "the other one"
- again, only you know what that is.

As so often, to get help you need to give information.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old October 18th 04, 04:19 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered:

As so often, to get help you need to give information.

Why don't you respond to this, ****ing Asshole?

========================
From: Curtis Croulet
Subject: had it with DirectCD
Date: 9/22/04

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

try providing some usable information - OS, what kind of
write you're doing, what error messages you get.

snip Curtis' response
========================
Old October 18th 04, 05:12 AM
E_Net_Rider

Sorry about the lack of specifics as I've been chasing problems too long.
The CD burner came with Nero 5.5 and the DVD burner came with Sonic 4. But
I originally had a LGE CD burner with Roxio 4. I've also had several trial
packages on this machine. Having both Nero updated to 6 and Sonic on the
machine seem to have some conflicts as I recall for working with DVD's.
Erratic behavior to be sure.

Having read about problems with using multiple software packages, I elected
to remove everything and reinstall just the Sonic package. But then I ran
into problems with getting to uninstall once I did any updates. I
eventually tracked it to a problem with the install engine. Using the
utility to remove related data allowed a reinstall to update missing data
from the engine.

The Liteon CD burner seems to work fine. I haven't checked burning with it
but it has no problem recognizing any CD's.
The Liteon CD/DVD LDW-851 recognizes DVD's I've burned (RW) , blank -R &
+RW, and pressed DVD's, but no CD of any type.

"Mike Richter" wrote in message
E_Net_Rider wrote:

I have a CD and CD/DVD burners, both Liteon. Different software came

with
each. I was having problems getting the Sonic to update, remove,

re-install
etc. Turned out that was a problem with MSI. During the trouble

shooting
phase of that problem for unknown reasons the CD/DVD quit recognizing

CD's.
From within Sonic it tells "not ready". From Explorer, "Insert disk".

Old October 18th 04, 08:56 AM
Graham Mayor

Did you screw up the ASPI layer required by Sonic RecordNow when you removed
the Roxio package? The application's documentation acknowledges a potential
for conflict between those applications. Nero provides its own ASPI
functions, and shows no sign of conflict here; however the Sonic application
(an OEM that came with my laptop which has an internal CD writer) shows no
sign of being compatible with my external LiteOn DVD writer (though it does
work with an external Lite-on CD writer). Nero works with all three without
problem.

--

Graham Mayor

E_Net_Rider wrote:

I have a CD and CD/DVD burners, both Liteon. Different software
came with each. I was having problems getting the Sonic to update,
remove, re-install etc. Turned out that was a problem with MSI.
During the trouble shooting phase of that problem for unknown
reasons the CD/DVD quit recognizing CD's. From within Sonic it
tells "not ready". From Explorer, "Insert disk". These are known

Old October 18th 04, 10:46 AM
smh

' -------------------------------------------
Graham Mayor (MS MVP), were you also born
with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
Does the "P" in MVP stand for "PRICK"?
Does MS stand for "Mikey S-licker"?

Graham Mayor (Mikey S-licker) peep-squeaked:

Did you screw up the ASPI layer required by Sonic RecordNow

RecordNow has its own aspi, dummy!

Did you screw up the ASPI layer when you removed the Roxio package?

How? When Roxio does not use ASPI?

Mike Richter (10/5/04):
"The Roxio software does not use ASPI."

The application's documentation acknowledges a potential
for conflict between those applications. Nero provides its own ASPI
functions, and shows no sign of conflict here;

Is the conflict in the ASPI? No kidding!!

however the Sonic application
(an OEM that came with my laptop which has an internal CD writer) shows no
sign of being compatible with my external LiteOn DVD writer (though it does
work with an external Lite-on CD writer).

Update the PxEngine, dummy!

Nero works with all three without problem.

So will RecordNow after PxEngine update.

-----------------------------------

Old October 18th 04, 09:19 PM
E_Net_Rider

aspichk thinks everything is ok. but it also seems a bit more basic because
with all burner software removed I should still be able to see CD's from
explorer.

Old October 19th 04, 07:14 AM
smh

E_Net_Rider wrote:

I have a CD and CD/DVD burners, both Liteon. Different software came with
each. I was having problems getting the Sonic to update, remove, re-install
etc. Turned out that was a problem with MSI. During the trouble shooting
phase of that problem for unknown reasons the CD/DVD quit recognizing CD's.
From within Sonic it tells "not ready". From Explorer, "Insert disk".
These are known good discs. I suspect it is a driver problem and hope
someone has the fix.

If I were you, I would do these:

Uninstall all burn softwares. Delete program directories. Delete burn
program references in the registry.

Run Roxizap:
http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/...ls/roxizap.exe

Run Nero Clean Tool:
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631940828445001.html

After reboot, install Windows Installer 2.0:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-DE3BB768148F

After reboot, install only one non-oem burn software.

Here are some free burn softwares:

burnatonce
http://www.burnatonce.com

DeepBurner
http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

burn4free (sponsored by NavHelper)
http://www.burn4free.com

If still problems, remove the burner drives in Control Panel, Device
Manager.

Old October 20th 04, 09:43 PM
TommyDale

"E_Net_Rider" wrote in message ...
And I'm running WME.

Oh, great! Isn't that the one that the Environmental Protection
Agency banned because it caused so much pollution?

Mouse Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 0 October 1st 04 06:44 AM
help with possible video card problem diagnostic mark497 Homebuilt PC's 1 September 16th 04 09:59 AM
Hardware raid or XP software ? Mark Overclocking AMD Processors 20 February 27th 04 03:54 AM
Hardware problem Russ Gilbert General 4 July 7th 03 02:15 AM
Real hardware problem this time - computer won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 4th 03 02:55 AM