Disk or disc spelling for DVDs?

Old October 18th 04, 11:55 AM
DocDelete

"Tosh" wrote in message

"Disk" is correct for everything, but we use "disc" for a reason.

It is a non-word, which helps with trademark protection.

Tosh by name...

--
Ken Davidson
DocDelete

---

Old October 18th 04, 07:17 PM
Bruce Mckown

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:57:07 GMT, Allen wrote:

Interesting news, indeed! My Webster's New International Dictionary,
Second Edition (approx. 1932) apparently foresaw the creation of this
non-word, "disc"; perhaps they even foresaw the compact disc and the
need for a new word to uniquely describe it. Of course, since it is
derived from the Greek "discus", this non-word was foreseen more than
2,000 years ago. Amazing, isn't it?
Allen

Yep.

disc

disc (dīsk) noun & verb
Variant of DISK.

disk

disk also disc (dīsk) noun
1. A thin, flat, circular object or plate.
2. Something resembling such an object: The moon's disk was
reflected in the pond.
3. a. The disk used in a disc brake. b. A disk used on a disk
harrow.
4. A round, flattened, platelike structure in an animal, such as
an intervertebral disk.
5. Botany. The enlarged area bearing numerous tiny flowers, as in
the flower head of composite plants, such as the daisy. Also called
discus.
6. a. A phonograph record. b. An optical disk, especially a
compact disk. c. Computer Science. A magnetic disk.
7. A circular grid in a phototypesetting machine.

verb, transitive
disked also disced disking discing disks discs
1. To work (soil) with a disk harrow.
2. To make (a recording) on a phonograph record.
[Latin discus, quoit, from Greek diskos, from dikein, to throw.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third
Edition copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic
version licensed from InfoSoft International, Inc. All rights
reserved.

Old October 20th 04, 01:27 PM
Glenn Richards

Davis Rorgh wrote:

A CD-R was called a DISC - spelled with a C but more and more often
misspelled with a K.

Just to add my £0.02 worth...

A floppy disk (with a K) is so called as it's an abbreviation of
"diskette". A hard disk can be spelt either way (usually with a K
though, because the platters are DISC shaped, or because it's a fixed
DISKette). CD or DVD is spelt "disc" with a C, as the name refers to the
shape of the media, rather than being short for anything.

--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk/

IT consultancy, hardware and software support, broadband installation
Old October 20th 04, 03:32 PM
Phred

In article ,
Glenn Richards wrote:
Davis Rorgh wrote:

A CD-R was called a DISC - spelled with a C but more and more often
misspelled with a K.

Just to add my £0.02 worth...

A floppy disk (with a K) is so called as it's an abbreviation of
"diskette". A hard disk can be spelt either way (usually with a K
though, because the platters are DISC shaped, or because it's a fixed
DISKette). CD or DVD is spelt "disc" with a C, as the name refers to the
shape of the media, rather than being short for anything.

Well I guess my 2 cents is not worth your tuppence, so I'll raise you
a brass rahzoo.

I like the word "disk" to distinguish the computer thing from the real
thing. Just like I reserve "program" for software and the real
"programme" for the theatre. It's always useful to have
distinguishing spelling for the various homonyms in the lingo (e.g.
adds, ads, adze) -- not that that seems to deter the great number of
people who use "their" for "they're" these daze ;-).

[But, being an INTJ or whatever, I do like your logic re "diskette"!]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old October 20th 04, 06:57 PM
Jim Kindon

Hi Davis
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:17:32 +0100, Davis Rorgh
wrote:

ISTR that a hard drive was loosely called a DISK (spelled with a K).

A CD-R was called a DISC - spelled with a C but more and more often
misspelled with a K.

Is a DVD called a DISC or a DISK?

Disk is the shortened term used for diskette in other words
floppy disks, but CDs, DVDs etc are properly called discs because
that is what they are, disc shaped , no doubt somebody out there will
tell me I'm wrong.

Regards

Jim by the River Plym
Skyline Design and Country Music
www.jkindon.freeserve.co.uk
A reply to an offer of help is always courteous

Old October 23rd 04, 12:18 PM
Lil' Dave

Hardcore DVD fanatics/experts insist on "disc" or won't respond on such
newsgroups.
"Davis Rorgh" wrote in message
ISTR that a hard drive was loosely called a DISK (spelled with a K).

A CD-R was called a DISC - spelled with a C but more and more often
misspelled with a K.

Is a DVD called a DISC or a DISK?

Disc Partition/Volume Problem Not Known General 5 September 9th 04 06:08 PM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Best drive configuration? Noozer General 20 May 27th 04 03:10 AM
My system seems to "recover" with great frequency Louise Homebuilt PC's 3 May 17th 04 06:02 AM
INCD puzzle Wishy13764 Cdr 4 January 9th 04 05:58 AM