Windows 7 driver for Latitude X1

Old November 11th 09, 06:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rob Nicholson[_4_]

Default Windows 7 driver for Latitude X1

We have a couple of older Latitude X1 which cost a lot of money and still
aren't too bad for occasional use. We're looking at rolling out Windows 7
but from what I can tell, Intel don't have a Windows 7 or maybe even Windows
Vista driver for the 915G graphics card.

Is this correct?

Cheers, Rob.

Old November 11th 09, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

Rob Nicholson wrote:
We have a couple of older Latitude X1 which cost a lot of money and still
aren't too bad for occasional use. We're looking at rolling out Windows 7
but from what I can tell, Intel don't have a Windows 7 or maybe even Windows
Vista driver for the 915G graphics card.

Is this correct?

Cheers, Rob.

Try Intel who made the card. Dell never goes back for older machines.
Old November 11th 09, 06:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In et,
Rob Nicholson typed on Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:19:48 -0000:
We have a couple of older Latitude X1 which cost a lot of money and
still aren't too bad for occasional use. We're looking at rolling out
Windows 7 but from what I can tell, Intel don't have a Windows 7 or
maybe even Windows Vista driver for the 915G graphics card.

Is this correct?

Cheers, Rob.

The drivers on Intel's website should work with Windows 98 all the way
to Windows 7. Although for Vista and Windows 7, there is no Aero
support. Otherwise you should be fine. Some laptops don't want to switch
to an external monitor, but that shouldn't be a problem in your case.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Old November 11th 09, 07:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

it appears that the only win7 driver for the 915g is what is built into the
operating system. and that driver does not support aero and it has freezing
problems with video playback unless you reduce the video acceleration. you
might find this thread interesting.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...aphics-driver/

et...

Old November 12th 09, 02:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mike S.

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
it appears that the only win7 driver for the 915g is what is built into the
operating system. and that driver does not support aero and it has freezing
problems with video playback unless you reduce the video acceleration. you
might find this thread interesting.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...aphics-driver/

So to Windows Update Catalog and manually search for this chipset. You
will find a recertified 2007 driver which Microsoft lists as "for" Windows
7. Unpack the .CAB file and manually tell Windows to update (despite its
complaints) to that driver. It is stable on my GX280 but does not (and
will never) support Aero Glass.

Old November 12th 09, 06:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rob Nicholson[_4_]

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...aphics-driver/

Thanks for this link. I'll check it out.

I found an Intel post about chipset and on the table of drivers is said
"Windows Vista - drivers built into OS". So out of interest, I've just
installed Vista ultimate and to my surprise, the only unrecognised device is
the audio driver. The video *and* wireless NIC are both recognised by Vista.

Bit bizarre that Windows 7 appears worse... will have another look. Have
Windows 7 on a USB memory stick so easy to mess around.

Cheers, Rob.

Old November 12th 09, 06:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rob Nicholson[_4_]

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...aphics-driver/

Later... oh dear, what a can of worms. Intel quite rightly getting a lot of
stick for not writing a driver for Windows 7 and the 915G graphics chip.
It's not like this is some Mickey mouse system - it's a Dell Latitude that's
only just over 3 years old and happened to cost £1k new. Hardly ancient...

Cheers, Rob.

Old November 12th 09, 06:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rob Nicholson[_4_]

Another beggar, please release 915GL drivers for Win7 for the love of god!

Tee hee :-)

Old November 12th 09, 09:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Rob Nicholson wrote:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...aphics-driver/

Later... oh dear, what a can of worms. Intel quite rightly getting a lot of
stick for not writing a driver for Windows 7 and the 915G graphics chip.
It's not like this is some Mickey mouse system - it's a Dell Latitude that's
only just over 3 years old and happened to cost £1k new. Hardly ancient...

Cheers, Rob.

The Latitude X1 is not the only computer with a 915G graphics chips.
Countless other 3-year old laptops use them. So do many desktops. The
915 chipset was the first from Intel to support DDR2. If truly missing
from Win 7, either on the shipping DVD or as a readily available
download, this would be a pretty serious omission.

However, Aero, whether with Vista or Win 7, is not often available with
graphics integrated onto a motherboard chipset like the 915. Aero may
be OK with the more recent integrated graphics, but for not not with the
entire Intel 800-series or many of the 900-series... Ben Myers
Old November 13th 09, 09:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rob Nicholson[_4_]

915 chipset was the first from Intel to support DDR2. If truly missing
from Win 7, either on the shipping DVD or as a readily available download,
this would be a pretty serious omission.

Yes it would - very strange. Will have a play today.

However, Aero, whether with Vista or Win 7, is not often available with

Missing Aero isn't the end of the world. It's some of the other Windows 7
features we're more interested in like mobility mode so screen doesn't lock
out during presentations and BitLocker.

Cheers, Rob.