HP Printers Question re cartridges

Old March 29th 09, 08:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Walter R.[_2_]

Default HP Printers Question re cartridges

MY HP Deskjet 970cse finally gave up its ghost.

What I liked about it was that it used the HP 45A cartridge (big and cheap).
This cartridge has the printhead built-into each cartridge. Therefore, if
there is printing trouble, one merely needs to through out the old cartridge
and plug in a new one.

This is different from my cantankerous Epson printer, which uses different
ink tanks, but the printhead is deep inside the printer and very expensive
to repair/replace. I had this unit in for repairs and it still gives
problems with the printhead. No more Epson for me.

I am considering an HP 4435 ($ 49 at Walmart). I cannot find out if this
printer uses a cartridge with the built in printhead. Are there any HP
printer models that use cartridges with a built-in printhead?

Thanks for any input.

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Old March 30th 09, 05:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Walter R." wrote in message
:

MY HP Deskjet 970cse finally gave up its ghost.

What I liked about it was that it used the HP 45A cartridge (big and cheap).
This cartridge has the printhead built-into each cartridge. Therefore, if
there is printing trouble, one merely needs to through out the old cartridge
and plug in a new one.

[snip]

I am considering an HP 4435 ($ 49 at Walmart). I cannot find out if this
printer uses a cartridge with the built in printhead. Are there any HP
printer models that use cartridges with a built-in printhead?

There are many HP printer models that use integrated printheads and ink
supplies. AFAIK all the sub-$150 models have integrated printheads.
The permanent or separately replaceable printheads are typically the
more expensive printers.

If you liked the Deskjet 970 you might take a look at the Deskjet 6940,
see
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/p...C8970A%2523B1H
or the Deskjet 6988,
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/p...CB055A%2523B1H

These are fast printers that use the 96/97 cartridges. The page yields
for B&W and color are 860 and 560 which compares well with the #45 and
#78 cartridges you used in the Deskjet 970 printer. These printers also
support an optional duplexer and larger paper trays (which I bought on
eBay).

One thing to watch out for on the lower cost ($50 especially) printer
is the cost of supplies. You can get an idea of page yields for various
printers from HP's page yield site he http://www.hp.com/go/pageyield
where the ISO standard page yields are compared. Personally I like the
printers that use the 96/97 cartridges, although those that support the
74XL and 75XL are not far behind. For more than occasional printing the
cartridges used in the very low end printers such as the 21/22, 92/93 or
74/75 (if the 74xl/75xl are not supported) may have a much higher
printing cost.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old March 31st 09, 01:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:07:40 +0000, Bob Headrick wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message
:

MY HP Deskjet 970cse finally gave up its ghost.

What I liked about it was that it used the HP 45A cartridge (big and cheap).
This cartridge has the printhead built-into each cartridge. Therefore, if
there is printing trouble, one merely needs to through out the old cartridge
and plug in a new one.

[snip]

I am considering an HP 4435 ($ 49 at Walmart). I cannot find out if this
printer uses a cartridge with the built in printhead. Are there any HP
printer models that use cartridges with a built-in printhead?

There are many HP printer models that use integrated printheads and ink
supplies. AFAIK all the sub-$150 models have integrated printheads.

That may not be true. Maybe if there is a fool out there who buys at list
price but these days even a fool can get a discount.