New CPU Required Driver Re-Install - Windows Media Player LoadingSlow

Old December 20th 08, 11:09 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
mg

Default New CPU Required Driver Re-Install - Windows Media Player LoadingSlow

I just upgraded a an Intel D865GBF mother board to a 2.8 GHz Pentium
CPU from a 2.4 GHz Pentium CPU on a Win XP Pro computer. Everything
appeared to be fine until I tried to play a song with Windows Media
Player which would take about 15-20 seconds to load. I checked the
device manager and it showed that all the drivers were working,
including the on-board sound driver. I then re-installed the sound
driver and the problem went away.

Has anyone else ever ran into a problem like this? I wonder if there's
anything else I should worry about?

Old December 24th 08, 05:55 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

mg wrote:
I just upgraded a an Intel D865GBF mother board to a 2.8 GHz Pentium
CPU from a 2.4 GHz Pentium CPU on a Win XP Pro computer. Everything
appeared to be fine until I tried to play a song with Windows Media
Player which would take about 15-20 seconds to load. I checked the
device manager and it showed that all the drivers were working,
including the on-board sound driver. I then re-installed the sound
driver and the problem went away.

Has anyone else ever ran into a problem like this? I wonder if there's
anything else I should worry about?

Yeah, you need to worry about cosmic rays hitting your computer and
flipping some bits in it. You solved your problem, are you trying to
look for problems that don't exist yet?

Yousuf Khan
Old December 26th 08, 04:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Dec 20, 6:09*pm, mg wrote:
I just upgraded a an Intel D865GBF mother board to a 2.8 GHz Pentium
CPU from a 2.4 GHz Pentium CPU on a Win XP Pro computer. Everything
appeared to be fine until I tried to play a song with Windows Media
Player which would take about 15-20 seconds to load. I checked the
device manager and it showed that all the drivers were working,
including the on-board sound driver. I then re-installed the sound
driver and the problem went away.

Has anyone else ever ran into a problem like this? I wonder if there's
anything else I should worry about?

Most copies of Windows are sold under conditions that the license
would be invalidated by changing the motherboard. I wouldn't at all
put it past Microsoft to make it so that installation of some aspects
of the OS are one time. The OS can detect and adapt to some kinds of
configuration changes, but not to others--perhaps by design intent.

I'm curious myself.

Robert.
Old December 30th 08, 08:08 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* Robert Myers:

Most copies of Windows are sold under conditions that the license
would be invalidated by changing the motherboard.

Please state the exact paragraph in the Ms EULA where it says that
changing the mobo invalidates your license. Besides the small fact that
such limitations would be against the law in most countries.

Benjamin
Old December 31st 08, 03:27 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Dec 30, 3:08*pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* Robert Myers:

Most copies of Windows are sold under conditions that the license
would be invalidated by changing the motherboard.

Please state the exact paragraph in the Ms EULA where it says that
changing the mobo invalidates your license. Besides the small fact that
such limitations would be against the law in most countries.

"OEM" Copies of Microsoft windows are sold for use on one machine and
can't (legally) be transferred to another machine.

The question then becomes what constitutes another machine. If you
change enough hardware, the software believes it is on a different
machine and thus, that the license has been invalidated. It has
always been my assumption that if you changed the motherboard without
the software believing that it was installed on a new machine, it
would only be a matter of luck. That assumption could be wrong.

In general, I'm not interested in responding to snotty demands that
begin with "Please state the exact paragraph." To copy your rude
style, please cite the law that you believe would make Microsoft OEM
licenses illegal. Since you've said this is true for "most
countries," I'm expecting a response with dozens of links citing all
the relevant laws in different countries.

Robert.
Old December 31st 08, 04:02 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Dec 30, 10:27*pm, Robert Myers wrote:
On Dec 30, 3:08*pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:

* Robert Myers:

Most copies of Windows are sold under conditions that the license
would be invalidated by changing the motherboard.

Please state the exact paragraph in the Ms EULA where it says that
changing the mobo invalidates your license.

"OEM licenses still different

It bears repeating, however, the the OEM license that comes with Vista
is indeed similar to the Windows XP OEM license in that it forbids any
kind of transfer. As we have previously reported, users have
nevertheless had success transferring those copies of Windows, but
they are technically stepping outside of the bounds of the EULA when
doing so."

Retail licenses are transferrable, but they are a small fraction of
licenses sold. If you transfer an OEM license and get away with it,
it is, as I said, a matter of luck. If changing the motherboard
doesn't make the box "another" computer, that would be something for
lawyers to settle in court, not here.

Robert.

Old January 2nd 09, 07:11 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* Robert Myers:

Please state the exact paragraph in the Ms EULA where it says that
changing the mobo invalidates your license. Besides the small fact that
such limitations would be against the law in most countries.

"OEM" Copies of Microsoft windows are sold for use on one machine and
can't (legally) be transferred to another machine.

Righ, "machine". Not "mainboard".

In general, I'm not interested in responding to snotty demands that
begin with "Please state the exact paragraph."

So in short it's a problem if someone asks for references for your claims.

To copy your rude
style, please cite the law that you believe would make Microsoft OEM
licenses illegal.

Reading isn't obviously your best asset as I never said the OEM license
would be illegal. I said that such a paragraph is against the law in
several countries (that's btw why the EULA says that local law
prevails). For example, in Germany the EULA is just irrelevant as it
isn't legal binding for most consumers that just buy their copy of
Windows from one of the thousands of dealers out there as in Germany
buying software is an act of sales like any other, you buy a software (a
package of a CDROM with software on it, a manual and what else comes
with it) and not just a right to use (a license). A consumer buying
Windows has a contract with the dealer he buys his Windows from but no
contract with Microsoft. Even more, since the EULA usually isn't part of
this contract it is just void. Microsoft can write whatever they want in
it, it doesn't matter. I can buy a computer with Windows and then keep
the computer and sell Windows separately if I don't need it. I also can
use my Windows copies on any system or mobo or whatever I like. Besides
that, the German Federal Court of Justice has declared the forcement of
dealers to bind Windows OEM sales to hardware illegal on July 6th, 2000
(Az. I ZR 244/97). So you can buy Windows OEM legally without the need
to purchase any hardware together with it.

The law is similar in a lot of European countries. Of course I'm aware
that in the USA Microsoft can dictate whatever they want.

Benjamin
Old January 3rd 09, 04:02 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Jan 2, 2:11*pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* Robert Myers:

Please state the exact paragraph in the Ms EULA where it says that
changing the mobo invalidates your license. Besides the small fact that
such limitations would be against the law in most countries.

"OEM" Copies of Microsoft windows are sold for use on one machine and
can't (legally) be transferred to another machine.

Righ, "machine". Not "mainboard".

In general, I'm not interested in responding to snotty demands that
begin with "Please state the exact paragraph."

So in short it's a problem if someone asks for references for your claims..

To copy your rude
style, please cite the law that you believe would make Microsoft OEM
licenses illegal.

Reading isn't obviously your best asset as I never said the OEM license
would be illegal.

In effect, you did. I said that most of the licenses sold would make
changing the mainboard illegal. Most of the licenses sold are OEM
licenses. If the mainboard isn't "the machine," what is? The case
and the power supply?

[...]

So, what you really meant to say is that it's more complicated in
Europe. That's nice to know.

Explain that to the nice people in Redmond when Windows Genuine
Advantage says the software has been transferred to a new machine.

Robert.
Old January 3rd 09, 04:27 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Jan 2, 11:02*pm, Robert Myers wrote:

So, what you really meant to say is that it's more complicated in
Europe. *That's nice to know.

Explain that to the nice people in Redmond when Windows Genuine
Advantage says the software has been transferred to a new machine.

One more thing. If you have issues, find a therapist. Or do whatever
you want. Attract the attention of the police by vandalizing property
or setting fires or whatever else comes into your sick brain. Leave
me alone, dude. If you're into beating people up, you've picked the
wrong victim.

Robert.

Old January 3rd 09, 03:14 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* Robert Myers:

Reading isn't obviously your best asset as I never said the OEM license
would be illegal.

In effect, you did.

Please have someone explain the meaning of "besides the small fact that
such limitations would be against the law in most countries". Anyone
with at least some basic reading comprehension should know the
difference between "limitation" and "license". An illegal limitation
doesn't make a license illegal.

If the mainboard isn't "the machine," what is? The case
and the power supply?

The machine is the summary of all it's parts (gfx, mobo, case, psu,
whatever). It might be your belief that the mobo is the machine but
reality is different. You can change whatever you want on your system
without invalidating the license.

So, what you really meant to say is that it's more complicated in
Europe.

Maybe. But try to buy an OEM Windows in the US without buying any
hardware, or to legally transfer your already paid OEM Windows on a new
computer. Besides the fact that all you get is the right to use the
software (a license).

Thanks, but I think I prefer the more complicated way where software
manufacturers can't dictate anything they like, where I can buy software
without the need to buy hardware I don't need, and where I can do with
the software I paid for whatever I want.

Explain that to the nice people in Redmond when Windows Genuine
Advantage says the software has been transferred to a new machine.

I don't give a **** what anyone in Redmond says, the US is not the
center of the world and US law is not valid in Europe, period. And in
the mentioned countries WGA doesn't say anything when you transfer your
Windows to another machine as it's totally legal there. BTDT probably a
dozen times, as have probably a few millions of people in Europe. I
still have a Windowsxp Pro OEM copy, bought when XP came out in 2001 and
of course without any hardware, and this copy probably moved over maybe
12 times from one computer to another. completely legal.

Benjamin

Windows Media Player Gary Nvidia Videocards 2 July 10th 07 02:58 AM
Windows Media Player vs. Real Player MZB Dell Computers 12 December 16th 05 10:53 PM
windows media player kendra Dell Computers 0 March 27th 05 06:28 PM
Windows Media Player/wmv Monica Cdr 1 October 26th 04 04:48 PM
Install Media Player/DirectX 9 Kills CD Drive? PutorTutor Gateway Computers 2 April 22nd 04 05:54 PM