AMD Phenom X4 9850 temps

Old May 4th 08, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
PHB[_2_]

Default AMD Phenom X4 9850 temps

Hi

I'm running the above on an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe mb, 4Gb Crucial
RAM,Sapphire HD3870 X2 graphics, 1000 watt power, XP Pro SP2.

Can anyone tell me the maximum safe operating temperature of:: a) the CPU ;
b) the mobo?

Thanks

PAUL :-)

Old May 4th 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

PHB wrote:
Hi

I'm running the above on an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe mb, 4Gb Crucial
RAM,Sapphire HD3870 X2 graphics, 1000 watt power, XP Pro SP2.

Can anyone tell me the maximum safe operating temperature of:: a) the CPU ;
b) the mobo?

Thanks

PAUL :-)

I checked the AMD web site, and the documentation available is a joke.
Presumably the real documentation is all under NDA.

This site has some numbers.

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-46...om-models.html

"Maximum temperature for Phenom X4 9100e, Phenom X4 9750 and Phenom X4 9850
Black edition is equal to 61 degree Celsius.

In other processors B3 stepping this value is equal to 70 degree Celsius.
Furthermore, Phenom X4 9750 (2.4 GHz) and Phenom X4 9850 Black edition (2.5 GHz)
have a higher TDP level equal to 125 W. The range of cores supplies voltages
is : 1.2-1.25 v."

To avoid throttling or computer shutdown, you'd want to stay under those
values.

As for the motherboard, you might be referring to a chipset temperature.
Some chipsets are rated for temperatures like 99C core temperature.
But for stability, you'd want to stay away from temperatures like
that. It really shouldn't get any hotter than the CPU. Adding an 80
mm fan, to blow down on one of the heatpipe heatsinks, might help it.
The reason for selecting an 80mm, is less noise than some 40mm fans.
I have a couple machines, where I fit 80mm fans for extra cooling.

It really depends on whether the CPU cooler has any "side spill" air
movement, to help cool the heatpipe coolers or not.

Paul
Old May 5th 08, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
PHB[_2_]

HI Paul

Thanks for your reply. These figures put my mind at rest somewhat. My
anxiety was caused when I ran MS Flight Sim X at full throttle tonight and
noticed on exit that PC Probe was reporting a CPU temp of 51C - a leap of 10
degrees over the normal average temp! (Mind you it's been warm today and the
house feels warm too, so that would compound it, I suppose?).

Currently running at 38C for the CPU and 32C for the mobo (at 1.00 am).

thanks again

PAUL :-)

Old May 5th 08, 07:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Craig Sutton

"PHB" wrote in message
HI Paul

Thanks for your reply. These figures put my mind at rest somewhat. My
anxiety was caused when I ran MS Flight Sim X at full throttle tonight and
noticed on exit that PC Probe was reporting a CPU temp of 51C - a leap of
10 degrees over the normal average temp! (Mind you it's been warm today
and the house feels warm too, so that would compound it, I suppose?).

try running stresscpu on each core

51c is mild and well within specs

Old May 6th 08, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Arno Wagner

Previously Paul wrote:
PHB wrote:
Hi

[...]
It really depends on whether the CPU cooler has any "side spill" air
movement, to help cool the heatpipe coolers or not.

Also, with a high case temperature you can kill your capacitors pretty
fast. 80C caps can be rated for as low as 1000h at that temperature
(rated = capacaity will not decrease to less than half, shich may
already be too much). Derate typically by a factor of 2 every 10C. If
your case temperature is 60C, these caps will fail after something
lile 4000h, equal to about half a year. The filter caps close to the
CPU will get even hotter, but will be rated for 105C. The "sidespill"
can make all the difference there.

Arno