Dimension 8300: Can it support "high density" memory?

Old November 19th 07, 03:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Thomas G. Marshall

Default Dimension 8300: Can it support "high density" memory?

Dim 8300 / 800 Mhz FSB (Intel 875P chipset)

Little bit confused on something. Here's the rub.

I've seen several posts in forums that say that only the old dells
(PC100/133 era) could not handle high density memory. But I've also seen a
couple sellers on ebay claim that all dells require low density.

And many posts say to use the Crucial memory configurator, but it does not
tell me information regarding density.

So:

1. Will high density DDR400 (PC3200) work in my 8300?

2. Is high density identified by fewer than 8 chips per side generally?

3. Are there different levels of high desnsity, some that might not be
supported?

THANKS!

Old November 19th 07, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

i see no reason why pc3200 will not run in an 8300.

but you just defined the speed, not the density.
not all pc3200 is high dens.
you need to look at the chips.
crucial should say the dimm compositions.

Old November 19th 07, 03:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Jay B" wrote in message
news
i see no reason why pc3200 will not run in an 8300.

I'm running PC3200 Samsung in mine, yes.

Old November 19th 07, 04:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Thomas G. Marshall

Jay B said something like:
i see no reason why pc3200 will not run in an 8300.

(?)

but you just defined the speed, not the density.

..............yes...........(?).

not all pc3200 is high dens.
you need to look at the chips.
crucial should say the dimm compositions.

Hmmm....I must not have been clear.

I know that PC3200 works in the 8300. The question is will *high* *density*
PC3200 work in the 8300.

There seems to be some online disagreement/confusion (which results in my
confusion) as to whether or not the problem with high density chips are just
for the older systems or not.

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

Old November 19th 07, 04:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

i'm not a techno nerd so i wont begin to explain why.
there may be a better answer posted here, i'm sure.

there is no clear standard def. of high density.
i have seen 4-chip dimm's in various dell systems.
it goes by the numbers on the chip and the composition, ranking, bits
per chip, etc.
usually chips that come from other high end systems like HP and IBM that
are labeled "high density" will not work in dell systems.
these dimms are sold on ebay and usually do not work.
so i stopped buying them.
that hasn't changed, so my advice is to stay away from them.

is there a specific chip that you have and want to see if it should work?
then post the numbers on the chip and we can look at it.

Old November 19th 07, 11:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:M180j.2769$Jy1.2664@trndny02...

snip

I generally don't recall any high/low density issues with P4 generation
Dells. By noting the speed and CAS/CL specs and staying with namebrand OEM
stuff, I've never had the issue.

I'm inclined to say the issue may have died after the transition from PIII.

I'd be interested to see if Ben has any opinion.

Old November 19th 07, 12:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 03:03:57 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

Dim 8300 / 800 Mhz FSB (Intel 875P chipset)

Little bit confused on something. Here's the rub.

I've seen several posts in forums that say that only the old dells
(PC100/133 era) could not handle high density memory. But I've also seen a
couple sellers on ebay claim that all dells require low density.

And many posts say to use the Crucial memory configurator, but it does not
tell me information regarding density.

So:

1. Will high density DDR400 (PC3200) work in my 8300?

2. Is high density identified by fewer than 8 chips per side generally?

3. Are there different levels of high desnsity, some that might not be
supported?

THANKS!

I don't mean to sound harsh here so bear with me .....
To add to your concerns I'd be concerned that with all the conflicting
information you have gotten thusfar, whatever information you get here
will only add to it so how do you know which is right? Therefore, why
not just go to the source Dell and ask them? I realize it will take
more time for you but they should be the definitive answer.

Second, I am assuming you already have some ram or have a good price
on some you'd like to know will work otherwise why not just take
Crucial.com's selection and buy from them just to eliminate many of
your concerns?
Old November 19th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I have not encountered high density/low density memoy problems with either DDR
or DDR2. It is most important to meet or exceed the memory speed rating and the
other memory specifications required by the combination of CPU and motherboard
in the system.

I see no reason why DDR400 would not work in the 8300. It works in systems
with older Intel 800-series chipsets, i.e. 845-series and 865.

High/low density memory seems to have been a design quirk of the prevailing
P2/P3 chipset technology of the time, the Intel 440BX and similar, just like
older 486s would only accept 4MB and 16MB 72-pin SIMMs, but not 8MB or 32MB. And
then there were 30-pin SIMMs, but I digress... Ben Myers

Old November 19th 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Thomas G. Marshall

Jay B said something like:
i'm not a techno nerd so i wont begin to explain why.
there may be a better answer posted here, i'm sure.

there is no clear standard def. of high density.
i have seen 4-chip dimm's in various dell systems.
it goes by the numbers on the chip and the composition, ranking, bits
per chip, etc.
usually chips that come from other high end systems like HP and IBM
that are labeled "high density" will not work in dell systems.
these dimms are sold on ebay and usually do not work.
so i stopped buying them.
that hasn't changed, so my advice is to stay away from them.

What is the *latest* generation system you've seen them fail on.

That will give me a point in space, albeit of dubious value.

....[rip]...

Old November 19th 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Thomas G. Marshall

RnR said something like:

....[rip]...

I don't mean to sound harsh here so bear with me .....
To add to your concerns I'd be concerned that with all the conflicting
information you have gotten thusfar, whatever information you get here
will only add to it so how do you know which is right?

I trust the people here who are not selling anything over merchants.
Further, if there were a consensus here that there was much confusion
online, that would also have given me useful information.

Second, I am assuming you already have some ram or have a good price
on some you'd like to know will work otherwise why not just take
Crucial.com's selection and buy from them just to eliminate many of
your concerns?

I do have many hits on ebay....almost all the better priced ones have "high
density" warnings all over them.

Crucial's options were expensive, *and* only offered CAS3, and I'm
interested in experimenting with potential results from faster timings.