touchpad driver for Dell Latitude D520 under XP Pro

Old May 30th 07, 03:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dtal

Default touchpad driver for Dell Latitude D520 under XP Pro

I just bought a new Dell Latitude D520 laptop. It came with Vista, but
I prefer XP Pro,
so I reformatted my disk completely and loaded XP Pro. It works fine,
EXCEPT,
that the touchpad does not respond. I am using a USB mouse for the
moment.

I have searched for a driver for this comp. for a touchpad, but can't
find one.
Can somebody send me such a driver, or tell me where I can find one.
Dell does not seem to understand this problem.

Maybe somebody out there in Cyperspace knows more than Dell.

Regards,

David Tal

Please write me at

Thanks

dtal

Old May 30th 07, 04:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

http://tinyurl.com/2x26aw

That will redirect to support.dell.com to the page for the ALPS
touchpoint driver for the D520. I just went to support.dell.com and
chose Latitude D520 and XP and it listed every conceivable driver,
including this one.

Dell is better than any other vendor I have seen about making their
drivers available.

This page:

http://tinyurl.com/2xmbeh

Has all the D520 drivers.

Tom

Old May 30th 07, 06:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On May 29, 7:45 pm, dtal wrote:
I just bought a new Dell Latitude D520 laptop. It came with Vista, but
I prefer XP Pro,
so I reformatted my disk completely and loaded XP Pro. It works fine,
EXCEPT,
that the touchpad does not respond. I am using a USB mouse for the
moment.

I have searched for a driver for this comp. for a touchpad, but can't
find one.
Can somebody send me such a driver, or tell me where I can find one.
Dell does not seem to understand this problem.

Maybe somebody out there in Cyperspace knows more than Dell.

Regards,

David Tal

Please write me at

Thanks

dtal

I don't get it either. Touchpads don't NEED drivers. The drivers for
these things add functionality, but are not necessary for the basic
operation of the touchpad.

However: on many units the touchpad can be disabled in the bios, and
it is entirely possible you have a defective touchpad, or that the
connector came loose.

Check the settings in the BIOS, for touchpad related things.

If it comes to opening up the laptop, i would see about warranty
repair first, as opening up the unit may void the warranty.

Old May 30th 07, 08:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 29, 7:45 pm, dtal wrote:
[...]

I'll bet you diamonds he hasn't even installed the chipset drivers either

Old May 30th 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On May 30, 12:29 am, "Fixer" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 29, 7:45 pm, dtal wrote:
[...]

Even so, the touchpad should work, touchpads not being part of the
chipset driver suite.

Old May 30th 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 30, 12:29 am, "Fixer" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 29, 7:45 pm, dtal wrote:
[...]

I know that I was implying that if he hadn't done the other then he
wouldn't have installed the chipset either

Old May 30th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
alien

"Fixer" wrote in message
Even so, the touchpad should work, touchpads not being part of the
chipset driver suite.

I know that I was implying that if he hadn't done the other then he
wouldn't have installed the chipset either

To the OP. You probably already know this but there's a button at the top
of the touchpad to turn it on and off. It's not turned off is it?

alien

Old June 6th 07, 08:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dell_CA[_2_]

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst located at Dell
corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet
outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding
technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products.
I read your question and wanted to offer some help.

If you have reinstalled the Operating System then it is important that
you install the drivers in the correct order. The order can be found
here http://tinyurl.com/2s3cv6. Despite the order of the drivers
installed the touch pad should have basic functionality. The basic
drivers are installed by Windows so it should work as soon as the OS is
loaded. Now, this may be a problem reflected by installing the drivers
in the incorrect order, but this means that you should have had
functionality of the touch pad prior to installing the drivers so, if
this is the case, you may want to wipe the drive clean and start from
scratch using the list from the link I’ve posted above.

There is a possibility that the touch pad is set to be disabled in the
BIOS. To check this, reboot the system and tap the F2 key when the DELL
screen appears. When in the BIOS go down to the section marked
“POST Behavior” and locate the option for
“Mouse/Touchpad.” Make sure that it is set to
“Touchpad-PS/2” and then save your settings and exit BIOS.
You can also accomplish this by simply choosing the “Load
Defaults” menu option. I hope this information helps.

Thank you,

Mike
Dell customer advocate

--