Spec out a $700 PC?

Old August 21st 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Justin

Default Spec out a $700 PC?

Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for college.
He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec out the
hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring it to about
$1,000.

So... What would you guys suggest? Both fromt he AMD and Intel side
of things.

Old August 22nd 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Hill

On 21 Aug 2006 14:27:24 -0700, "Justin"
wrote:

Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for college.
He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec out the
hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring it to about
$1,000.

Just buy one. You can't build it cheaper than you can buy it.
Old August 22nd 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

wrote:

Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for
college. He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec
out the hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring
it to about $1,000.

Just buy one. You can't build it cheaper than you can buy it.

You can if you know what you are doing, and
get a better machine for the same price too.

Old August 22nd 06, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Wilkes

wrote:

Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for college.
He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec out the
hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring it to about
$1,000.

So... What would you guys suggest? Both fromt he AMD and Intel side
of things.

Here is one I built early this year:

www.geocities.com/wilkes_charlie/new_system.htm

I'm completely satisfied with it. About a month ago, someone asked me
to spec the cheapest possible video editing system similar to the one
I have. Here is what I came up with, including shipping:

Motherboard MSI K8M800 PGA754 45.49 Page Computer
CPU Athlon 64 ADA3000BXBOX 96.52 Mwave
Video Sapphire 9600 pro 256mb (AGP) 65.99 Zipzoomfly
RAM Corsair VS 2x512mb 91.50 Zipzoomfly
Firewire card Q-SEE 19.98 Buy
HDD WD Caviar IDE 250gb 78.45 Newegg
CD/DVD burner Benq Litescribe 44.66 Newegg
PSU Antec sp350 40.84 Page Computer
Monitor Acer 1515b 141.69 YesMicro

$573.58

This assumes a scrap case, mouse, keyboard etc. Because it's a socket
754 CPU and an AGP board, it doesn't have much upgrade potential, but
you shave a few bucks. I would suggest upgrading to the 9800 pro,
available from Compuvest for $88 plus shipping, if you can figure out
how to navigate their terrible web site.

Charlie

Old August 22nd 06, 12:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Hill

wrote:

Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for
college. He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec
out the hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring
it to about $1,000.

Just buy one. You can't build it cheaper than you can buy it.

You can if you know what you are doing, and
get a better machine for the same price too.

Bolony. I'm not going to bother responding to you again. Needless to
say, I wouldn't make a claim unless I'd checked it.

Old August 22nd 06, 01:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"Justin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for college.
He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec out the
hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring it to about
$1,000.

So... What would you guys suggest? Both fromt he AMD and Intel side
of things.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=B450-2200%20E

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145479 (note total
of 1GB, with tiger direct barebone including 512MB)

Then add speakers, keyboard, mouse, monitor. -Dave

Old August 22nd 06, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Carlos

Justin wrote:
Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for college.
He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec out the
hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring it to about
$1,000.

So... What would you guys suggest? Both fromt he AMD and Intel side
of things.

Does he need a monitor? If so, that $1000 budget is looking pretty slim.
Old August 22nd 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"Carlos" wrote in message
Justin wrote:
Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for college.
He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec out the
hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring it to about
$1,000.

So... What would you guys suggest? Both fromt he AMD and Intel side
of things.

Does he need a monitor? If so, that $1000 budget is looking pretty slim.

Not really, I spec'd out a decent *dual-core* Intel system with 1GB of
high-quality RAM and a large hard drive, a decent video card and lightscribe
D/L dvd burner for about $550 earlier. Adding a 17" LCD monitor to the
system might bring it over $700 a little, but not much. Me, I'd stretch the
budget to fit a 19" LCD monitor in, though. -Dave

Old August 22nd 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Carlos

Mike T. wrote:
"Carlos" wrote in message
Justin wrote:
Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for college.
He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec out the
hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring it to about
$1,000.

So... What would you guys suggest? Both fromt he AMD and Intel side
of things.

Does he need a monitor? If so, that $1000 budget is looking pretty slim.

Not really, I spec'd out a decent *dual-core* Intel system with 1GB of
high-quality RAM and a large hard drive, a decent video card and lightscribe
D/L dvd burner for about $550 earlier. Adding a 17" LCD monitor to the
system might bring it over $700 a little, but not much. Me, I'd stretch the
budget to fit a 19" LCD monitor in, though. -Dave

Perhaps you could share with us the parts... I think that's what the OP
was interested in. I too agree a nice lcd monitor is not a place to skimp.

As for the OP, it would be nice to know what your friend plans to do
with the machine... gaming, video editing, office apps? This is
important to know so that you can intelligently choose components.

Old August 22nd 06, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

wrote:

Well, a friend of a friend wants me to build him a new PC for
college. He's looking to spend about $1,000 total so I figure spec
out the hardware for $700, XP Pro, Office and AVG Free should bring
it to about $1,000.

Just buy one. You can't build it cheaper than you can buy it.

You can if you know what you are doing, and
get a better machine for the same price too.

Bolony.

Completely trivial to prove it isnt.

I'm not going to bother responding to you again.

Great, there is only so much mindless
**** anyone should have to put up with.

Needless to say, I wouldn't make a claim unless I'd checked it.

Pity its drivel anyway.

You cant work out how to get the best value components ? YOUR problem.

Spec check and case recommendation please [email protected] General 1 February 23rd 06 11:57 PM
Is faster DDR memory still compatible with slower spec chipsets? [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 December 28th 05 10:53 PM
Why no DVD Audio (44.1) spec? dgk Cdr 9 December 29th 04 11:25 PM
Graphics problem though spec OK plugandplayha Homebuilt PC's 3 October 15th 04 05:06 AM
Spec for 80 conductor IDE cable Rod Speed Storage (alternative) 5 September 5th 03 07:10 PM